• Published a book you want to tell us about? Uploaded a YouTube video you want to share?

Normally you'll need 100 posts to self-promote, but with an upgraded membership you can do so with your first post.

Find out more here: Become a Supporting Member

DISCUSSION -- January 2017 300-word Writing Challenge (#24)

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
Well, I feel a bit like cubic zirconia amongst diamonds, but ... I'm in. Really good stories so far, everyone. Beautifully written, pH!

ps - my story title sounds like the name of a new wave band from the 90s! :)

Hugh

Supporter
Well I’ve posted my first venture into the world of 300 words. Looking at the quality and skill-level of other entries I’m very aware that the challenge for me is that of actually managing to produce a story, but I’ve enjoyed the process of writing something. I was relieved to realise that the horse head did not have to feature in the story, but only inspire. I hadn’t appreciated how long and how short 300 words can be: my first draft was around 600 and did feature the horse head (and Chrons) but then was shocked when I did the word count.

AlexH

Oops - I looked at the photo when I registered a couple of days ago, and woke up this morning with an idea in my head. Only I remembered it as the 75-word challenge. Time to pad it out a bit, though I'm on 85 words, so that should be easier than removing 10. I'm glad I checked!

AlexH

Well, I feel a bit like cubic zirconia amongst diamonds, but ... I'm in. Really good stories so far, everyone. Beautifully written, pH!

ps - my story title sounds like the name of a new wave band from the 90s! :)
I've just been reading through - it was a 2010s band that came into my head! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina_and_the_Diamonds

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
Nice to meet you, AlexH! And a new group to investigate, thank you! Not sure if you like Marina and the Diamonds, but I'd never heard of them, so I'll be YouTubing them this afternoon.
(There's also Katrina and the Waves, the group Victoria Silverwolf alluded to.:))
Hope the writing goes well, CC

johnnyjet

Western PA High Tech Country Boy
Thanks for the nice review, Victoria. Kafka and Borges are great company to be in. That was the tone I was going for, so I'm happy that it came through.

AlexH

Nice to meet you, AlexH! And a new group to investigate, thank you! Not sure if you like Marina and the Diamonds, but I'd never heard of them, so I'll be YouTubing them this afternoon.
(There's also Katrina and the Waves, the group Victoria Silverwolf alluded to.:))
Hope the writing goes well, CC
It's nice to virtually meet you too. I can't say I know any songs by them, but they were a well known band in the UK a few years ago. Maybe they still are! Did you like them if you looked them up?

I do know of Katrina and the Waves. :)

Stable

Watching you from upside down
Sorry I'm a little confused. Does an entry have to be an exactly 300 words story or an up-to-300 words story?

farntfar

She turned me into a newt.
It cannot be more than 300, Stable. But there's no lower limit.
And be careful about hyphenated words and suchlike. There's a thread with the rules in the writing challenges forum.

Rafellin

Independent Author & Publisher
I do like it when a picture inspires its story within moments of me seeing it.

Have to ask, where and what is the monument in the piccy?