January: What Are You Reading?

Yea I read Voyage a few years ago which is Baxter's description of a journey to Mars.

I loved that book.

Over the weekend I finished Sword of Destiny by Andrzej Sapkowski and I'm now about a third of the way through Abaddon's Gate, the third Expanse novel.

My willpower is a wondrous thing to behold - a message from BookBub to tell me I can get the follow up to Jeff Vandermeer's Annihilation for £1.99 and my determination to last at least a week has lasted 2 1/2 hours. :)

I loved that book.

Over the weekend I finished Sword of Destiny by Andrzej Sapkowski and I'm now about a third of the way through Abaddon's Gate, the third Expanse novel.
The third book in the (loose) series is Moonseed, a totally different story which I've partially read (need to find a copy)

Rivers of London Ben Aaronovitch. Wasn't sure what to expect, discussing books at work a colleague asked if I'd read this collective groans from the three females in group, all said it was rubbish. I'm finding it highly entertaining.
i love that series

Reading The Ghost Road, the last book in Pat Barker's Regeneration trilogy.

Just finished up Last Year by Robert Charles Wilson. The first half was really engaging and hilarious, then it just became a chore to read. It's not bad, but I felt like it focused on all the wrongs. It ends in a typical Wilson fashion -- not quite satisfying.

Time and Again by Jack Finney is what I've got going on since lunch. Loving it so far. Might just make this month a time travel month.

Been reading one of Michael Moorcock's Elric novels, The Fortress of the Pearl, but after a promising start it's got very draggy and I think I'll abandon.

My willpower is a wondrous thing to behold - a message from BookBub to tell me I can get the follow up to Jeff Vandermeer's Annihilation for £1.99 and my determination to last at least a week has lasted 2 1/2 hours. :)

I read the Southern Reach trilogy over the Christmas break, and really enjoyed it. One of my stranger reading experiences, not just because the book is excellently weird, but because we stayed in a holiday house about 200m from a lighthouse, with she-oak lined paths running down to the beach. Some of the locals were straight out of Area X too!

Now reading Orwell - Keep the Aspidistra Flying and the Chrons famous Explorations.

I read the Southern Reach trilogy over the Christmas break, and really enjoyed it. One of my stranger reading experiences, not just because the book is excellently weird, but because we stayed in a holiday house about 200m from a lighthouse, with she-oak lined paths running down to the beach. Some of the locals were straight out of Area X too!

Now reading Orwell - Keep the Aspidistra Flying and the Chrons famous Explorations.

I read Keep the Aspidistra Flying as a teen, sitting a dark corner of my local pub, drinking beer in chunky half-pint mugs and smoking roll-ups.

Once I finished it I went back to normal fags and Guiness :)

(fortunately these days I no longer smoke and rarely drink)

Slowly dribbling my way through The City and the City and Best Served Cold. Neither engaging me that much, but I appear to have my patience back somewhat... said he looking up how Best Served Cold ends.

I read Keep the Aspidistra Flying as a teen, sitting a dark corner of my local pub, drinking beer in chunky half-pint mugs and smoking roll-ups.
I love that book. Inappropriately, I read it sitting in my comfortable lounge, refreshed with the odd glass of wine. I like your 'method reading' approach much better and could become a convert. Have you ever read SF in a space suit, and did it enhance the experience?

I love that book. Inappropriately, I read it sitting in my comfortable lounge, refreshed with the odd glass of wine. I like your 'method reading' approach much better and could become a convert. Have you ever read SF in a space suit, and did it enhance the experience?

Sadly, no.

I think I must have been going through a bit of a teenage angst phase and the tone of Aspidistra resonated with that.

Glad to see mention of a rarely-read (apparently) Orwell novel. Gotta start a thread for those.

Currently reading The Man In The High Castle. It's been many years since I first read it and it will be interesting to see how I feel about it now.

have just finished listening to Nomad by Alan Partridge - somewhat unintentionally as i started listening to it at work just to see what the narration was like. a great listen if you like Partridge and his world (Norfolk!). there were even some classic moments that made me cringe at my desk.

also, am midway through Charcuteria - The Soul of Spain, by Jeffrey Weiss. A slightly random non SF choice!

Read Tom Disch's The M.D., then The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood and The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. Pretty random!