If it doesn't exist, make it. Right?

Beginning of the paper machete process. It will take time and a few layers to create the hard shell body of the enithorox. Once I have enough paper machete coverage I will attach the head and begin adding clay muscles to the body and legs.

Here are a few shots of the first stage of the process.

KIMG1147.JPG

KIMG1144.JPG

KIMG1148.JPG

KIMG1150.JPG

More to come!

This is an impressive project, ErikB! I'll be excited to see the completed creature! :)

Just a quick update. The paper machete base is almost in full coverage. It will be layered for thickness. Once it gets harder and enough of the layering to make a nice shell.

A thickened shell will support the weight of the clay. I will build up the clay after doing a light layer of form coverage. Then I'll start forming the muscles.

I still have to drill out and add some wood supports for the feet. These will be bolted down then clay covered.

More to come.

KIMG1165.JPG

So I have been building up the paper machete layer as well as getting coverage for the right leg and I've added a tail base.

I have two more layer treatments to go and the base maquette should be ready for having the clay added.

More to come.

KIMG1175.JPG

KIMG1172.JPG

KIMG1173.JPG

So the next thing that my enithorox maquette needed was a tail. My initial idea was to use a brass coat hanger wire as the base support for the tail.

Unlike the majority of this sculpt there will be very little clay used for the tail. At the base of the tail clay will be added. But most of the tail will be a sleeve of trimmed and airbrushed fur. Light and semi-flexible.

My quest to find a brass coat hanger was a bad mishap. I thought to check the neighborhood Goodwill Store only to discover that it had closed 2 minutes before I got there. (My fault for starting my tail project so late).

In fact a few stores had closed at 8pm. So I went to a local Dollar General store hoping to find something that I could bastardize into a similar support. They carried no wire coat hangers, but as I was about to leave in defeat I spotted a two pack of fly swatters for only a dollar fifty. Talk about luck and affordability as well.

I went home, broke out some tools, some burlap wire ribbon, some duct tape, and went to town on the fly swatter wires. After shaping and twisting them into the right form I duct taped them together and then added more burlap ribbon with more duct tape to produce a tail that I wanted.

KIMG1184.JPG

Then I cut a small wooden dowel and taped the base of the wire to that dowel. The rest of the wooden dowel was taped to the wooden sprue/stub that is the tail brace for the maquette.

I wrapped this tightly with paracord to add strength and even out the thickness and textural form of the tail.

Then using the burlap ribbon I thickened and evened a few areas which were then wrapped in duct tape.

This should make a very nice support for the tail shroud once that fur is added. Here are some progress shots. More to come.

KIMG1186.JPG

KIMG1188.JPG

KIMG1189.JPG

KIMG1187.JPG

10 lbs of clay have been added to the hips and hind legs. I will get more clay tomorrow to continue adding the layer needed to create a base before building up the muscles in the haunches and abdomen of the enithorox.

More to come...

KIMG1194.JPG

KIMG1195.JPG

KIMG1192.JPG

KIMG1193.JPG

Back