Old accounts pruned

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Just to let everyone know that I've pruned away a load of old and inactive accounts from the memberlist - basically, anyone who had joined more than at least a year ago but never posted.

While 31k members looks good as a statistic, it's a useless and misleading one.

Especially when a couple of thousand of those non-posters had joining dates of 1999 and 2000, and were imported from Ascifi with the forums merger.

The 15k that show as registered now are those who have posted at least once, or have joined within the past year.

And that's a much healthier figure to work with.

It also helps clean up the database for smoother running. :)

dannymcg

Justified and Ancient member
Thankless task. Did a similar thing mid nineties when I was an admin on a WAP phone chat site. Two weeks to prune just over five thousand, at the request of site owners, then I started getting panicky queries from them wanting to know why I had deleted a quarter of the accounts. Gave up at that point - my criteria was much more open than yours, I gave it at least five years since any activity; some only popped in every few months just to look through all the posts, so they were left well alone in case one day they took a more active role.

RX-79G

Aren't there people that join forums to be able to use the search functions and such? Or is that not a problem for non-members?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
I gave it at least five years since any activity
With this forum software, the act of logging makes the member account active. The vast majority of members removed had joined in 2000/2001 and never logged in since - I genuinely doubt they've all spent the last 15+ years waiting to login again. :)

Aren't there people that join forums to be able to use the search functions and such? Or is that not a problem for non-members?
The search function is open to non-members. :)