Sff romance - suggestions and recommends

I think I'm just generally not very interested in relationships between characters or how they see themselves in sexual terms. Not that I think other readers are wrong for wanting that. I'm probably used to stories and films where a romantic subplot is tacked on to fill up space and/or totally unrealistic.

But your characters have marvellous relationships, Toby. Especially Suruk and Carveth, though I appreciate their interaction (with anyone) is not precisely romantic.

It sometimes seems like
"I know! I'll write a romance but instead of a new shop girl in a highland village meeting the dark eyed lord of the manor I shall have a new tech officer meeting the dark eyed starship captain!
Hey Presto - I can then get my yarn onto two shelves in the bookshop"

Wouldn't work, though. Very few books end up in more than one section of the bookstore.

And if you were hoping to increase sales by trading a Scottish setting for outer space, you'd be making a huge miscalculation, at least for the US romance market, where Scots are more popular than starship captains, and the Highlands more evocative of romance than outer space.

It sometimes seems like
"I know! I'll write a romance but instead of a new shop girl in a highland village meeting the dark eyed lord of the manor I shall have a new tech officer meeting the dark eyed starship captain!
Hey Presto - I can then get my yarn onto two shelves in the bookshop"
Next you'll be suggesting that you can take a cowboy story, put it is space and make a TV show called "Firefly" out of it.

Let me know if anyone wants their Scottish Highlands romance read over to avoid egregious horrors like men called Tammy and the word "verra". No one says "verra". NO ONE.

I live in England about thirty miles south of the border with the bagpipe stranglers and have often been up there.
Quite a few times I've heard "verra" .
I'm verra sure of this. The noo. Och aye. Hoots mon.

Genuine no messing THIS is how people speak in my hometown - i automatically do the 'eh' when speaking to friends/neighbours etc

I got most of it but I spent four months as a young apprentice in the seventies working with a guy with a quite similar accent
I think we need a new thread in the lounge - #a clip of your local dialect#

I remember that clip from, I think, It'll Be Alright On The Night