Netflix Travelers (Time Travel Show)

Cli-Fi

John J. Falco
Here's another time travel show! Eric McCormack is awesome, but IDK what this is supposed to be about. The premise looks cool though:
Many centuries into the future, the Earth's population has dwindled to almost nothing -- but the survivors have discovered the key to time travel. Desperate to save humanity, a group enters the 21st century on a mission to avert disaster.

It sounds like the premise of some really trashy 1950's B movie plot: they must kidnap young healthy and fertile females to take back and re-populate the dying Earth of the future. Did that guy with glasses just get picked up by accident?

It sounds like the premise of some really trashy 1950's B movie plot: they must kidnap young healthy and fertile females to take back and re-populate the dying Earth of the future. Did that guy with glasses just get picked up by accident?

Well they are remaking Lost in Space too, so maybe it's a thing for them.

From the trailer, it looks like there isn't much actual time travelling involved (despite the title.) It looks more like it is set in the present day, trying to avoid some future event (more like Continuum.)

It also says all episodes on 23rd Dec. Netflix like doing that, rather than releasing one per week, which is more traditional on TV.

From the trailer, it looks like there isn't much actual time travelling involved (despite the title.) It looks more like it is set in the present day, trying to avoid some future event (more like Continuum.)

It also says all episodes on 23rd Dec. Netflix like doing that, rather than releasing one per week, which is more traditional on TV.

Actually from the trailer it doesn't even look much like time travel how we know it. if I remember it correctly it reminds me more of Quantum Leap. Except this time it's YA!

Mrs Grey and I watched first four episodes after we came back from doctors and Christmas shopping. Travellers is quite bit different than most things you've seen in the TT genre. I'm talking about small screen as the show dives boldly into the speculation fiction sea by visualising the theory of soul transfer. Although to some this might sound a high flying hypothesis the theory is backed by recorded history in regards of soul transfer - an old soul in the new body.

The theory itself doesn't violate any known laws of science, because the travellers cannot bring technology with them. There are no time-travelling devices anything other than what stuff that's in the future, and stuff they can put together with the knowledge they've acquired during their lifetime. The trip is one-way and once you get there, you're on your own.

Except in the Travellers case singular being or event doesn't come into the equation. There are many of them and they all have multiple missions.

This series isn't for young adults only. It is boldly pushing forward Netflix programming that is aimed to wider audience than a singular group. The only thing that makes Traveller's shaky is the advanced model. You need to be fairly intelligent to understand most of things as the Travellers doesn't hold anyone hand by explaining things. Instead this series will ask you to speculate with the characters just you did with the Stranger Things.

As a writer, this series is the best Christmas gift I could have asked to see in the small screen. And it came out as a total surprise.

Mrs Grey and I watched first four episodes after we came back from doctors and Christmas shopping. Travellers is quite bit different than most things you've seen in the TT genre. I'm talking about small screen as the show dives boldly into the speculation fiction sea by visualising the theory of soul transfer. Although to some this might sound a high flying hypothesis the theory is backed by recorded history in regards of soul transfer - an old soul in the new body.

The theory itself doesn't violate any known laws of science, because the travellers cannot bring technology with them. There are no time-travelling devices anything other than what stuff that's in the future, and stuff they can put together with the knowledge they've acquired during their lifetime. The trip is one-way and once you get there, you're on your own.

Except in the Travellers case singular being or event doesn't come into the equation. There are many of them and they all have multiple missions.

This series isn't for young adults only. It is boldly pushing forward Netflix programming that is aimed to wider audience than a singular group. The only thing that makes Traveller's shaky is the advanced model. You need to be fairly intelligent to understand most of things as the Travellers doesn't hold anyone hand by explaining things. Instead this series will ask you to speculate with the characters just you did with the Stranger Things.

As a writer, this series is the best Christmas gift I could have asked to see in the small screen. And it came out as a total surprise.

Wow this will probably make some chroners watch it because if what you say is true, the trailer doesn't do it justice. It sounds like an idea I had for one of my WIPs. I am going to check it out tonight.

About my ideal and some other people ideal might not match, but having watched ten episodes I can confidentially say this is much, much better than Timeless. The reason for this is that Travellers do everything that Timeless doesn't. Even the science aspect is much, much stronger and more believable than what they have dropped in the NBC series.

But that is the problem and blessing at the same time, because Timeless can draw in audience with dulled down science and drama that goes around the known historic settings, whereas Travellers is totally opposite. Instead of relying on the known, it relies on the unknown and the producers expects the audience to figure it out.

To me that is perfect, but like I said, my ideal isn't everyone ideal. So if you're into for a treat that will expand your horizons, check Travelers (with one L, not two) out ASAP. You will love it, but don't expect it to hold your hand.

Although everything has an explanation. It might not just be, what you expect it be.

@ctg Sometimes I just want some escapism. Timeless and Hawaii 5-O give me that and I watch them even though the stories make little sense and there is no logic. I still think there is a place for them even if you say they are bubblegum. Travellers is sounding to me a lot like Sense 8, in that bodies are inhabited by other souls or by shared souls. I found that idea was interesting and while it may "expand your horizon," some evenings I just 'need' something lighter than that. Beautiful though Westworld is, I'm finding that hard-going to watch and I think this series might be the same. Too many hard-going series and I'd have to give up on some, no matter how worthy they are.

I watched the first episodes and I didn't like their idea of soul transfer. It's quite creepy. The travelers know exactly who will die and where and wait to take the body to save their future ? *brrr* They are no even selective in the choices. And how come the travelers recognise themselves in a new body ?

I didn't like their idea of soul transfer. It's quite creepy. The travelers know exactly who will die and where and wait to take the body to save their future ?

True. Creepy, but strangely appealing when you learn more about the hosts previous life and the fact that the Travellers care about their cover. And they're trying to change the future without affecting the present. But are spoilers and I don't want to get notified for spoiling someone else's fun.

We usually know this kind of *transfer* as possession. In Travelers case, no need for exorcism. Hosts are already dead. I don't want to spoil the fun for those interested to see it, so I will refrain to give other details.

Honesty, I don't think this seria will survive for a 2nd season.

Honesty, I don't think this seria will survive for a 2nd season.

If you look at the reviews, they are saying: "Netflix saved the best for the last." The little secret is that this is a Canadian production. Netflix just handles the distribution everywhere else, and I know for the fact that this sort of dark stuff appeals for a great number of people. So I'm not confident enough to say second season won't happen, when stranger things have happened. Although I shouldn't be resurrection the ghost of past in Christmas day, because there has been so much good SF in the small screen recently. This is one of them.

I'm trying my best to not go nuts because I'm personally biased, and I'm trying to write about this as neutrally as I can. On personal level I got my PTSD triggered by one of the final episodes.

If you look at the reviews, they are saying: "Netflix saved the best for the last." The little secret is that this is a Canadian production. Netflix just handles the distribution everywhere else, and I know for the fact that this sort of dark stuff appeals for a great number of people. So I'm not confident enough to say second season won't happen, when stranger things have happened. Although I shouldn't be resurrection the ghost of past in Christmas day, because there has been so much good SF in the small screen recently. This is one of them.

I'm trying my best to not go nuts because I'm personally biased, and I'm trying to write about this as neutrally as I can. On personal level I got my PTSD triggered by one of the final episodes.

Welp, I ended up watching the OA instead of this. I was like. Where is the time travel, but it ended up being pretty similar to what you are talking about here and the OA is actually more confusing now! So you might like the OA for a different take on the subject of soul travel. Is Netflix trying to make that the next staple in science fiction literature? They now have three different shows about soul travel. The networks haven't caught on yet though.

Welp, I ended up watching the OA instead of this. I was like. Where is the time travel, but it ended up being pretty similar to what you are talking about here and the OA is actually more confusing now!

LOL. I watched first three episode and started on fourth, when I dropped OA. It's weird but write enough of dark stuff that the OA put me off and I found this one much more appealing.

LOL. I watched first three episode and started on fourth, when I dropped OA. It's weird but write enough of dark stuff that the OA put me off and I found this one much more appealing.

I could definitely understand that. Travelers seems to have more mass appeal, while the OA seems to have more of that indie vibe.

Travelers seems to have more mass appeal, while the OA seems to have more of that indie vibe.

It's not the indie wipe. It's the fact of that the Main Characters commit early on a level of anarchy that you'll see in they school shooters. While they are extremely intelligent, they can also be extra thoughtless. When you apply more of chaos into you, suddenly you'll be watching a Columbine incident developing.

Tralers acts against the chaos. They push against the Anarchy and apply a reason for everything. In a way they are much more logical with their reasoning than suffering through the nightmares in the OA.

At least in my opinion.

It's not the indie wipe. It's the fact of that the Main Characters commit early on a level of anarchy that you'll see in they school shooters. While they are extremely intelligent, they can also be extra thoughtless. When you apply more of chaos into you, suddenly you'll be watching a Columbine incident developing.

Tralers acts against the chaos. They push against the Anarchy and apply a reason for everything. In a way they are much more logical with their reasoning than suffering through the nightmares in the OA.

At least in my opinion.

Just saw the first four episodes last night. It did rather well in my opinion. Reminds me a lot of Continuum. The pilot was great, and then it turns into a procedural. Which isn't bad, I love new twists on procedurals and those are the only types of procedurals I watch these days. I don't watch any new True Blue procedurals unless they have Chicago in the name :) There are just way too many of them out there.

Anyway from what I can see based on Episode four, there seems to be a power struggle happening in the future and I hope at some points they go to the future and explain it all. So likely,
The Director isn't really around since the team hasn't heard directly from him since they started and that's why the war is starting between factions. The Director could also be a synonym for God, but I don't think this show goes that deep, does it?

There are some problems of disbelief here that even Timeless doesn't have.
If we are supposed to be believe that there are 3000+ of these travelers out there with their hosts acting weird and they are supposed to be dead, why not all be junkies or homeless people? That would save a lot of the headaches about implementing themselves into the hosts actual lives. So it's a pretty twisted thing that they are doing on the "we are not supposed to change history front." I mean they are walking around as if they are still alive! The timeline is still affected because that host is still walking around. It's not like they leave their life to go fight the bad guys. Which is what they should do to be honest.

The cool thing I found with the show is trying to decipher what their world looks like based on the stuff in culture that they weren't able to research. Their lack of knowledge on what food tastes like, yet they seem to know how to use a computer
once they get the password right
They seem to know how to drive cars, run real fast, use guns and yet they can't
figure out what's fake on social media, heal a body who is addicted to drugs, but they can heal a mentally challenged body?
These all could be inconsistencies or part of the show's larger mythology.

I have a feeling that this was made with the intention of having multiple seasons because it's really slow starting. Most Netflix shows have gotten three seasons at least so hopefully it will get that at least. This seems to be Netflix's first attempt at making a normal type of procedural show. Since it's made in Canada, (Aren't all the great sci-fi shows made there) It would do well on any of Canada's Broadcast Networks along with Syfy Channel.

Back