Ripley's Moving Coffins of Barbados

Extollager

Can someone help me identify a book? Around 50 years ago I borrowed one of those Ripley's Believe It or Not! paperbacks from some other kid, which contained an item about coffins that moved in some Caribbean locale. I'm pretty sure it was Barbados. Anyway, it seems to have stuck in my mind most of my life, and I'd like to get my hands on it. If anyone can tell me which old paperback it was, I'd appreciate it.

But also, this thread could be a place for people who want to talk about their own encounters with the weird in those Ripley books, and books like them.

Charles Fort, LO! and rain of frogs etc. ... and, there was another thread mentioning the coffins, I think. Colin Wilson and Damon Wilson, 'Strange Mysteries of the Bizarre'... or a similar title, deals with the coffins, I remember the book starts with 'Hobbit People'..

The Chase Family , Every time they would open the crypt they would coffins disturbed , standing jumbled around all but one coffin.

I'm sure that's the item the Ripley feature had picked up many years ago, Paul C. Thanks.

But I want to see that exact paperback if possible since it seems to have left such as impression on me. I don't think I have seen it since 1968 or so.

I used to love those books as a child, especially anything about Nessie and sea monsters. I still find them weirdly fascinating.

In my grandmother's house, there was an old 'Ripley's believe it or not' book. Very battered, but with cracking illustrations. I wish I'd got that now. Two things that I remember from it: 1. A chicken that lived for weeks after having it's head chopped orf, and 2) A chap who used to put a candle in the hole in his noggin after he was trepanned.

I'm reviving this thread because I'm still interested in the matter mentioned in the original posting (pasted below), and thought maybe someone new to Chrons might be able to help, or maybe a veteran now remembers seeing this.

Can someone help me identify a book? Around 50 years ago I borrowed one of those Ripley's Believe It or Not! paperbacks from some other kid, which contained an item about coffins that moved in some Caribbean locale. I'm pretty sure it was Barbados. Anyway, it seems to have stuck in my mind most of my life, and I'd like to get my hands on it. If anyone can tell me which old paperback it was, I'd appreciate it.

I remember the Fortean Times did an article on this within the last couple of years. Next time I'm passing the shelf they are stacked on I'll flip through and see if I can find it then see there if was a bibliography at the end of the article - as there often is.

I used to love those books as a child, especially anything about Nessie and sea monsters. I still find them weirdly fascinating.
Until the fire I had a copy of David Attenborough's Fabulous Animals, I rushed out and bought it after watching the series, I believe it covered Nessie in that.

I remember the Fortean Times did an article on this within the last couple of years. Next time I'm passing the shelf they are stacked on I'll flip through and see if I can find it then see there if was a bibliography at the end of the article - as there often is.
It would be nifty if this led you to the humble paperback I'm remembering, and you could tell me about it.

This thread is really more a "Book Search" one rather than a Horror one, so if a moderator wouldn't mind shifting it, I'd appreciate that.

Thanks -- the transference of this thread to the Book Search location is appreciated.

This old paperback intrigues me not so much because of the Barbados mystery but because it seems to be one of my earliest book memories. My imagination was stirred; it was something like this, not stories of baseball, that did that.

Last edited:
Thank you, though. Surely this book will one day be identified. Can I really be the only person here, at least, who has seen it?