What are Your Favorite Film or Tv Series Adaptation of The Works Of Jules Verne?

Watched an episode of "The Universe" last night, and apparently it would take exactly 42 minutes to travel through the Earth's core and out again, traveling at around 8,000mph unaided by man-made materials!

Watched an episode of "The Universe" last night, and apparently it would take exactly 42 minutes to travel through the Earth's core and out again, traveling at around 8,000mph unaided by man-made materials!

42 ?:) Douglass Adams would be impressed.:D

Anybody see the silent version of 20,000 Leagues? That thing was about as convincing as Squiddly Diddly! As a Vincent Price fan, I still think Master of the World is a fun film, though adapted from 2 of Verne's novels, that same title & Robur the Conqueror, both I have read. In the novels, the Albatross, as I recall, was only one of Robur's vehicles, the other, was the Terror, as I recall. It was amphibious, but I do not think it could fly.

Edit:
Just checked Wikipedia, & according to its page for Master of the World, the Terror could fly. :whistle:

Last edited:
I do recall seeing a film 5 weeks in a balloon, but it was nowhere as detailed as the book, and likely inaccurate also.

Anybody see the silent version of 20,000 Leagues? That thing was about as convincing as Squiddly Diddly! As a Vincent Price fan, I still think Master of the World is a fun film, though adapted from 2 of Verne's novels, that same title & Robur the Conqueror, both I have read. In the novels, the Albatross, as I recall, was only one of Robur's vehicles, the other, was the Terror, as I recall. It was amphibious, but I do not think it could fly.

Edit:
Just checked Wikipedia, & according to its page for Master of the World, the Terror could fly. :whistle:

Master of The World with Vincent Price and Charles Bronson . That one is quite good . Some the stock footage they used din't quite cinc with the time frame in which the film was set. :)

They always insert a helpless woman into the film versions, to give the hero somebody to save. :ROFLMAO: Though I cannot recall if there was one in the recent 3D Journey to the Center of the Earth.

James Mason will always be Captain Nemo to me.

As a child, i have a lot of nostalgic love for Journey to the Centre of the Earth. I have not seen the new one.

It is interesting & a whole new topic, to ask, when you read a novel, how do you visualize the characters? Do you match them to TV or Movie characters or actors? I suppose that when I read 20K, I likely envisioned Mason as Nemo; though it has been a long time since I read it.

James Mason will always be Captain Nemo to me.

As a child, i have a lot of nostalgic love for Journey to the Centre of the Earth. I have not seen the new one.

He was great in both roles.(y)

Just thought of this one: Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (wikipedia). I watched this anime long ago, during my early years with NETFLIX. Based loosely on 20K Leagues, it tells of two young adolescent kids who meet by chance, & become friends and allies, at first fighting comic-relief villains, and eventually meeting Capt. Nemo
who is the girl's papa. Both father and daughter are of Indian (central Asian) descent, though most others are white. As I recall, the Nautilus is rather large, at least compared with the Disney version (which does seem larger on the inside, than on the outside. :ROFLMAO:)
It is set during the Industrial revolution, and opens in France, where the girl is a circus acrobat, and the boy, an inventor.

It is interesting & a whole new topic, to ask, when you read a novel, how do you visualize the characters? Do you match them to TV or Movie characters or actors? I suppose that when I read 20K, I likely envisioned Mason as Nemo; though it has been a long time since I read it.

I saw the films long before I read the books with which they based and as a result my image of the the book characters is the same as the films. :)

The Mysterious Island 1961 with Herbert Lom as Captain Nemo. It does try from the book quite. bit but it's fun film to watch. :cool:

With the exception of the Disney 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea I've found most adaptations lacking one way or the other. I had high hopes for the Coogan/Chan Around the World in 80 Days but that was a farce. I do have a soft spot for the 2008 Journey to the Centre of the Earth though.

MASTER OF THE WORLD with Price and Bronson is my favorite.
I am not a Verne fan.
I haven't been interested in reading his work.
He's not monsterific enough. I like Wells better because he had martians and morlocks etc.

I really liked the scene in the Mason JTTCOTE where they see the ocean coastline under the earth.
That's a neat visual.

There sure are a lot of more recent adaptations I havent seen mentioned here.

I like Lom as Captain Nemo better than Mason, although the guy in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was very memorable.

Nemo: "Contain your evil, doctor! I'll not have the brute free upon my ship. Must I take drastic steps?"

Dr. Jekyll: "I am in control."

Nemo: "I very much doubt it."

I don't like the comic. That's reconstructing the characters more than the movie does. The movie falters badly by the end but the story is more cinema-friendly.
Fu Manchu showing up-I think the movie should have put him in--divided the Phantom and Moriarty into two separate characters who turn on each other by the end and got rid of Tom Sawyer. It loses itself due to the CGI overload but it has good moments. The title reminds one of the 1960 movie-The League of Gentlemen-and the director of that did The Assassination Bureau which most likely influenced the 2003 film. The idea of stealing the powers to sell as weapons-I like that. It gets too messy unfortunately. The second Hyde was cool-but ruined by CGI. The Marvel movies are much less serious in approach than LEXG was. The Phantom at the start is exactly the type of villain that superhero movies need and never show anymore.

Oh! I saw The League of Gentlemen! As I recall, it was a heist film.

They remade MASTER OF THE WORLD? I need to see this!

Last edited:
The Return of Captain Nemo staring Jose Ferrer in the role. Two US nahymen find the Nautilus and Captain Nemo and they revive and join him on his search for Atanis after the Nautilus get a tech upgrade. This was Irwin Allen major attempt at a tv series a series, Lasted for Three episodes. Allen threw plausibility out the window for this one. But, I did Like Joe Feere in the role of Captain Nemo . It pretty a but it is entertaining stuff . The captain is pitted again Evil genius Waldo Cunningham played by Burgess Meredith and his Powerful sub which crewed by bobots some of which were recycled from Lost in Space. :D