Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

There was too much cheese with the double monkicide. Would've also made better sense for Jyn's original saviour to go with her rather than two tag-along monks who could've been removed from the story with no loss.

The relationship between Jyn and Captain EasytoforgethisnameifIeverknewit was well handled. No forcing it, which happens a lot. And the ending was very good, I thought.

The relationship between Jyn and Captain EasytoforgethisnameifIeverknewit was well handled. No forcing it, which happens a lot. And the ending was very good, I thought.

The ending was very good. It was exactly what was called for even though it did wipe out a character it might have been fun to see developed a bit more.

agreed @Parson, i'm glad they didn't ry and make it a happy ending (which, from what i've read, may have been the original plan)

Maybe that's what all of the fuss about the reshoot was all about?

could well be - i read a review of the scenes from the early previews that were omitted from the final cut that suggested a lot more of saw gerrera and a nicer ending

The original ending was everybody living because they didn't believe Disney would let them kill anybody off, but a chat with the woman running Lucasfilm and she agreed to killing them off.

Personally, I liked the idea of one or two of them captured and being on the Death Star when Luke makes his attack run.

Prefer them being topped at the end of the film, to be honest. Completes the film, and means there won't be more fiddling with the first/fourth (chronologically) film to include a new scene with them in it.

If that happened the Death Star would have destroyed Yavin a week earlier.

Not necessarily. Start credits (pref cast) then show Luke doing his trench run, the Millenium Falcon clearing the persuing TIE fighters, Luke firing, prisoners looking up, the Death Star exploding, resume credits.

But the ending does flow smoothly into A New Hope, so maybe put the prisoners dying in a new edit of Star Wars. But done is done.

Not necessarily. Start credits (pref cast) then show Luke doing his trench run, the Millenium Falcon clearing the persuing TIE fighters, Luke firing, prisoners looking up, the Death Star exploding, resume credits.

But the ending does flow smoothly into A New Hope, so maybe put the prisoners dying in a new edit of Star Wars. But done is done.
The point I was making is that every rebel that attacked the base in Rogue One was from Yavin 4, so if any of them were taken prison and interrogated (remember the floating droid with the hypodermic in Leia's cell?) they would have told the empire where the Rebel Alliance stronghold is nearly a week earlier than Leia telling them.

So then, instead of Leia being rescued just after revealing this information and warning the rebels, the Death Star would have shown up and destroyed Yavin 4 without any warning.

Unless you believe every Rebel prisoner is proof against torture.

Also, I wouldn't like a retcon of ANH to show Cassian or the prisoners on the Death Star as it explodes.
Aw, hell, that would be awful if they did that. It'd be Who Shot First, Han or Greedo all over again. Or, even worse: let's just put the new Anakin into the end of ROTJ because that will totally make sense. Please, nobody tell Disney!:)

Also, I wouldn't like a retcon of ANH to show Cassian or the prisoners on the Death Star as it explodes. I'd just like the idea of us as an audience knowing they were on there by logic/continuity from R1.

pH
They kind of blew that opportunity. The continuity was supposed to come from the several lines in Star Wars that make it clear that "spies", not commandos, managed to secretly transmit information to supposedly non-Rebel Leia.

Rogue One is more of a retcon where spies have little to do with anything and Leia isn't a secret, well insulated connection to the Rebels but an active member of their fleet. The only spy is the one who is a prisoner in the beginning of the film and his information was destroyed. The Rebels at the end of Star Wars calling their enormously costly military raid "plans provided by Princess Leia" is a glaring discontinuity with what is shown in R1.

We finally watched it as it's really hard to get to the theatres with a wheel chair even if they have facilities. Believe me, most of the people know nothing about it until they're doing it. But about the movie...

First of it felt like an extended episode of Rebels magic but unfortunately I didn't wish to be there. The hell the Imperium unleashed on assault troops was unforgiving and relentless. In the galaxy they're a force everyone knows but knowing how things will end at the end of New Hope kind of spoil whole thing.

The Grand Admiral Tarkin says in the Episode 4: "This is a demonstration of this battle station full firepower," before they blow Alderaan. But in the Rogue One there isn't just one demonstration. It's many and it makes me wonder with the rate the Rebellion is losing their fleets how they manage to pull the feat with an untrained Jedi who didn't even believe in the Force.

What Vader does to the rebel fighters at the flag ship was a true demonstration of force. Those guys had no chance against former Skywalker. Actually nobody had and all those people, who committed to this Hail Mary act were used a bit foolishly. The rebellion paid a too high price and they never committed fully to the fight.

Overall Rogue One was a good movie and I hope they continue making these standalone features with mind and heart committed to open new aspects rather than going down the same tracks. Star Wars Universe is rich with history. Could we please see one situated in the Old Republic - in the time before Darth Sidious - please?

Could we please see one situated in the Old Republic - in the time before Darth Sidious - please?
Yeah, I've always thought a Knights of the Old Republic film would be great. The games still have a special place in my heart and I think the era would be great for a film.

Yeah, I've always thought a Knights of the Old Republic film would be great. The games still have a special place in my heart and I think the era would be great for a film.

This is Disney, they'll make it.

In the next few decades they will literally make every possible Star Wars film ad infinitum.

Our children will grow up watching the next generation of Star Wars film, probably enjoy the prequels and call the originals old fashioned with terrible CGI.

Progress marches ever onwards... :)

SilentRoamer, not so sure. CGI dates poorly compared to practical effects. Just compare the most recent Indiana Jones with the old ones.

Also, the originals have a lot more Darth Vader, and no Jar Jar Binks.

I do agree that Disney may overdo the Star Wars, but Marvel have shown an integrated cinematic universe can be an attractive proposition.

@thaddeus6th Thats a fair point!

I will admit that the Marvel cinematic universe is pretty cool.

To be fair to Disney if they can maintain the standards of the two recent SW films then I will happily go and eat my over priced hotdog and watch them.