Colon, Comma, Semi-colon; which one do you need?

VKALFIERI

From a land down under.
Following on from the comma usage question on the crit boards I thought this might come in handy:

How to Use Semicolons

- from Mignon Fogarty's blog: Grammar Girl.

Also, there's the mnemonic FANBOYS which stands for: For And Nor But Or Yet So, these are most commonly used after or before a comma; but if they're joining two independent clauses can be used after a colon.

Also, there's the mnemonic FANBOYS which stands for: For And Nor But Or Yet So, these are most commonly used after or before a comma; but if they're joining two independent clauses can be used after a colon.
Personally, if I came across a "but" etc after a colon, I'd question the writer's grasp of grammar. I'd also discourage their use after a semi-colon. The way colons and semi-colons work (when not dealing with straightforward lists) is to bring an end to one clause without the drastic curtailment of a full stop thereby allowing a continuing link with the next -- ie the same job the conjunctions are doing. If the clauses together are too long to allow for an easy continuation of the sentence with a simple comma and conjunction, then to my mind it's far better to create two separate sentences and start afresh with "But" or whatever -- starting a sentence with a conjunction being a far better option for reading clarity.

For instance, your sentence here is to me wrongly punctuated, because both colon and semi-colon are used in error. To me it should be punctuated
Also, there's the mnemonic FANBOYS which stands for [colon removed] For And Nor But Or Yet So. These are most commonly used after or before a comma, but if they're joining two independent clauses can be used after a colon.

Personally, if I came across a "but" etc after a colon, I'd question the writer's grasp of grammar. I'd also discourage their use after a semi-colon. The way colons and semi-colons work (when not dealing with straightforward lists) is to bring an end to one clause without the drastic curtailment of a full stop thereby allowing a continuing link with the next -- ie the same job the conjunctions are doing. If the clauses together are too long to allow for an easy continuation of the sentence with a simple comma and conjunction, then to my mind it's far better to create two separate sentences and start afresh with "But" or whatever -- starting a sentence with a conjunction being a far better option for reading clarity.

For instance, your sentence here is to me wrongly punctuated, because both colon and semi-colon are used in error. To me it should be punctuated
Oops i actually meant that FANBOYS can come after a semi-colon. My bad.

The way colons and semi-colons work (when not dealing with straightforward lists) is to bring an end to one clause without the drastic curtailment of a full stop thereby allowing a continuing link with the next -- ie the same job the conjunctions are doing. If the clauses together are too long to allow for an easy continuation of the sentence with a simple comma and conjunction, then to my mind it's far better to create two separate sentences and start afresh with "But" or whatever -- starting a sentence with a conjunction being a far better option for reading clarity.

I need this carved on the back of my left hand (preferably with a blunt screwdriver whilst I ask Sir Larry, 'Is it safe?').

pH

From what I read in the last few months when doing the latest edit, colons indicate that the following phrase is a clarification/elaboration of the bit before the colon, or alternatively heralds a list. Whereas semi colons should be used only where both parts on either side are linked in subject but are of equal weight and could be a sentence in their own right. At least, according to various grammar books I consulted. :D

The title of this thread makes it sound like you're selling punctuation from the pockets of a trench coat in a dark alley somewhere.

'Whattaya need, guv? I've got it all - commas, periods, colons, dashes both em and en. But you, sir, you look like a semi-colon type of guy to me. Or something a little fancier, perhaps? I've just got this shipment of semi-colashes in, very rare, top quality...'

I've not found a semi-colash of any quality, so a top quality could be considered very rare and I'm not sure I'd waste it on any of my writing.
Save up those babies and sell them to that nice man who needs a bunch of them for all those run-on-and-on sentences.

Back