Flame Tree Publishing accepting manuscripts

ratsy

www.flametreepublishing.com/submissions

They are accepting novels 60,000 - 120,000 in horror, SF, Fantasy, and crime fiction

I have a story in Crime and Mystery in the Gothic Fantasy collection series, and they paid well, and were great to work with. Plus the book looks fantastic. I would almost submit something to them if I had anything to submit at the moment!

*** but remember to keep all of your best works for the Woodbridge Press novel submission window, hopefully coming later in 2017 ;) (that's a joke...well...sort of)

It's unusual yes, but it shouldn't be IMO. That way, if they like the beginning, they don't have to send a request for the remainder. It amazes me that any publisher/agent would only ask for a digital file of a few chapters. What sense does that make?

Any ETA for that, ratsy?

For me accepting submissions? Not yet. I will be waiting until the next three are launched, and have a solid plan for 2017/2018

It's unusual yes, but it shouldn't be IMO. That way, if they like the beginning, they don't have to send a request for the remainder. It amazes me that any publisher/agent would only ask for a digital file of a few chapters. What sense does that make?

They have almost no time during the working day. Decisions are made on tiny numbers of pages read.

They have almost no time during the working day. Decisions are made on tiny numbers of pages read.

Sure, but it doesn't take any more time to read three pages of a 300-page MS than it does to read three pages of a ten-page excerpt. And as I said, if they only have ten pages and want to see more, they have to ask for it, which takes time that (as you point out) they are short of.

Any ETA for that, ratsy?
Opens 6 dec, closes 15 January AFAIK. " We use industry standard royalty contracts, with a reasonable view on electronic rights. From their site "We do not pay generous advances but expect to work with the author to market their work effectively."

Stuart, hmm, can't see anything about dates on that page. Does it say elsewhere when the window closes?

Sure, but it doesn't take any more time to read three pages of a 300-page MS than it does to read three pages of a ten-page excerpt. And as I said, if they only have ten pages and want to see more, they have to ask for it, which takes time that (as you point out) they are short of.

What HB says makes sense, but then that would mean you need to send an attachment, while with an excerpt you can do what most places seem to request: copy into the email so no attachments – no virus problems and easier to read on your phone? I think that perhaps this may be a big part of why they request a small sample. Another may be that it probably feels easier to reject someone when they haven't invested emotionally in sending the full manuscript??? (All conjecture, of course.)

but then that would mean you need to send an attachment, while with an excerpt you can do what most places seem to request: copy into the email so no attachments – no virus problems and easier to read on your phone?

Yes, that's a good point, which I hadn't thought of. (If you saw my phone, you'd understand why.)

(If you saw my phone, you'd understand why.)

This one?

DonAdams.jpg

And on a more serious note, I don't know much about Flame Tree, but their anthologies look gorgeous!

Stuart, hmm, can't see anything about dates on that page. Does it say elsewhere when the window closes?
They emailed me, and specified those dates. someone else got an email that's posted surely,- " he who wad published by them", no?