DISCUSSION THREAD -- December 2016 75-word Writing Challenge

ratsy -- This dark fantasy creates a sense of tension as it explores the theme that turnabout is fair play.

Jo Zebedee -- The power of emotional memories can be read into this bittersweet love story.

TheDustyZebra -- This wry look at a legendary character reminds us that nobody's perfect.

Coast -- Suspense fills this mysterious tale of a dangerous bargain.

Yuck! warped mind indeed. I know Weird Al from "Walk with an Erection" spoof on "Walk Like an Egyptian" and his take off of "Achey Breaky Heart" with the line "Don't play that song, that nauseating song...."

The one I remember best is "I Want a New Duck". :D

@TheDustyZebra .... I had to look that one up..... All I can say is naughty, funny, but naughty. And speaking of naughty, what are all those poor children going to think when they don't get their Christmas Present from good old Saint Nick? .... Great story!

Well, that's never happened before. Late Victoriana and gas-lamp meant only one thing to me -- I've since quickly checked whether anyone else had the same idea and I think I'm safe, but sorry if I'm inadvertently copying anyone -- so I got the last line before I had any idea what the story might be about, so then had to write it to make it lead up to the punchline.

Anyway, although I'm rather proud of my sub-Ursine pun, many apologies for the rather scatological content of the story and for the bleeped-out swear word.

I've since quickly checked whether anyone else had the same idea and I think I'm safe, but sorry if I'm inadvertently copying anyone
Next time, use a time machine.... ;):)

(Although I didn't use a pun on that word....)

I've been a bit busy this month. Howev er, I will vote.

Thank you, Cathbad, for enjoying my tale.

Before I forget, Season Greetings to all and to all a good night.

Stupid, stupid, I thought I had until tomorrow!!!! Grrrr!

My favourites for December:
  • Ashyleyn. B. Watts - black flakes
  • Luiglin - phossy jaw
  • Hugh - Mr Barrie
  • Cat’s Cradle - atomical catastrophe
  • Victoria Silverwolf - eternal winter
  • Dave Barsby - a trophy
  • AstroZon - natural philosophies
  • HoopyFrood - empty sockets
  • Bowler1 - punishment battalion
  • DG Jones - clove scents
  • Cory Swanson - what then
  • Culhwch - just knew
  • chrispenycate - digs celebate
  • Shyrka - good leg

Thanks to all for your amazing stories in 2016 and looking forwards to more in 2017.
Have a great break and wonderful new year.

The Judge -- Wordplay and Rabelaisian wit fill this merry parody of a classic character.

Mad Alice -- This gentle fantasy offers the reader a vision of a joyful miracle.

Ursa major -- Clever use of language is featured in this pastiche.

My vote goes to Mad Alice for a highly original and moving tale.

Last edited:
I only have time for a drive by vote and I've taken aim at TDZ, well done buddy.

I have voted early and no one has more than a single vote, which really means it could by anyone at the point I'm writing this. So good luck everyone and merry Christmas.

Firstly. A great number of you people showed off your "Dark Sides". Talk about some grim fairy tales. Yikes. I nearly joined you, but I changed my story to something brighter (without knowing just about everybody went to the deep end of horror). I wanted a happy ending.

Anyway (no prob - I liked a huge percentage of everyone's creepy entries)

FINALISTS and VOTE*

@Ashleyne. B. Watts
@Victoria Silverwolf - SPECIAL MENTION - Thank you, for your wonderful reviews
@Peter V
@Ajid
@Mr Orange *
@HoopyFrood
@Bowler1
@Ihe
@DG Jones
@HazelRah
@Old_Man_Steve2016
@chrispenycate
@Shyrka
@mosaix
@David Evil Overlord
@The Judge
@Ursa major

SPECIAL MENTION - @Tricanthos - Very nice reviews.

My picks:

Ashleyne B. Watts
Luiglin
Abernovo
Heijan Xavier
LittleStar
DG Jones
Venusian Broon
Mad Alice

My vote goes to "Climate Change" by Victoria Silverwolf for combining vivid description with broad scope and a unique concept.

And very relevant historical context. America and the world as we know it might be very different if not for the events depicted.

Back