Alien species name?

caters

Genre: Sci Fi

Earth Time Period: 2020(just that 1 year)

Unknown planet Time Period: Unknown

Location: Varies throughout but along a 400 light year route from earth to an unknown planet(at least unknown to humans) in a generation ship

Physical Characteristics

My aliens have reptilian and mammalian characteristics. Starting at the head there are 3 antennae. These act like ears and help the aliens hear things that we can't. The eyes are like those of a cat helping them see in the dark. They don't have a noticeable nose but they do have nostrils. Going further down they have 2 arms and 2 legs just like we do. The hands on each arm have 6 fingers, 2 of which are thumbs. The 2 thumbs are on opposite sides of the hand so each hand has a right thumb and a left thumb. They are the first and last fingers on the hand in either R->L or L->R. The females and only the females have a pouch on their abdomen to incubate the eggs and the milk supply is also in the abdomen. Their feet are the same shape as ours only with 6 toes instead of 5. All fingers and toes are functional.

Speaking of fingers, the fact that each hand has 2 thumbs allows them to get a better grip than we humans and sustain that grip for a longer period of time.

They have scaly skin all over their bodies. Even the abdomen with the milk supply and the pouch is scaly.

Development

The females ovulate on average 5-15 eggs per cycle. Unfertilized eggs get reabsorbed and fertilized eggs start developing a shell. The shell takes 2 weeks to fully form. Once all the fertilized eggs have formed shells the female goes into a state very much like our labor except she is laying eggs, not giving birth to live young. Once the eggs are laid she puts them in her pouch to incubate for 2 months. Then after 2 months have passed, the eggs hatch and the baby aliens start drinking their mom's milk Their mom eats what is left of the eggs to recuperate. There can be up to 3 aliens in an egg while still being viable though this is rare.

My momma told me that if the aliens are the same size as humans or similar that their eggs would have to be as big as an ostrich egg.
th

Now that's big. But their pouch can accommodate. Their pouch is both secure and super elastic. And pouch skin shedding occurs separate from shedding the rest of the skin in fully grown aliens. Each time they shed skin from the pouch, it grows in actual size and is able to better hold the eggs.

Diurnal vs Nocturnal and others

These aliens have genes that influence whether the alien will be diurnal or nocturnal. Hatching time also influences this.

Genetics:

DD - Diurnal
NN - Nocturnal
DN or ND - Unknown until hatching time

Hatching time:

Hatch during daytime - Diurnal
Hatch during nighttime - Nocturnal
Hatch during twilight - Unknown

300px-Twilight_description_full_day.svg.png

If a baby alien has both the diurnal and nocturnal alleles and hatches during either twilight(morning twilight also known as the blue hour or evening twilight with all those rainbow colors(except green but I do see purple and pink in an evening twilight. In fact especially in the summer, I can see at just the right moment and in just the right place sunlight splitting up into separate beams of red and yellow light as it goes through the windows of my house)) then it is completely unknown if the alien will be diurnal or nocturnal. Same goes for if hatching time and genetics are opposite. If however the hatching time is in twilight but the alien has just diurnal or just nocturnal alleles or if the alien has both alleles but hatches in either the day or the night it is determined by the one that doesn't give an unknown result.

Another important characteristic is basking. These aliens will bask for up to 4 hours in the morning(or for nocturnal aliens, night). Nocturnal aliens will bask for longer than Diurnal aliens because it is colder at night.

So what would be a good species name for these aliens that humans can understand? I never go through the trouble of making an alien language and just assume that all my characters, alien or not, speak English.

Last edited:
Impressive amount of background research.

With regard to naming your aliens, you don't say if this would be their scientific name or their colloquial name. Also, if they can be understood, what do they call themselves?

Whatever you do don't make it difficult to pronounce and, please, no apostrophes.

When I read a good story I submerge myself in it and there's nothing more likely to make me 'surface' than thinking 'how do you pronounce that?'

Nature abhors imbalance. As a biologist I can tell you that four antenna or two make for better believability. The same way that making the fifth finger prehensile and strong like a thumb is more likely than a sixth digit. But I can go for the extra digit easier than the odd antenna.

The purpose of basking is?

Thermoregulation? If so night basking is pointless. Might I suggest that the varience in hatch time would be less likely (in nature) to do with nocturnal or diurnal activity and more likely to do with factors such as predation.

For example sea turtles hatch at night or early morning and the babies race for the ocean. Some species come ashore and lay their eggs in such numbers that the sheer volume of hatchlings ensures that many will overwhelm their predators by volume and reach the water and open ocean.

Others stagger their timing so that some hatch in the evening and others by morning making it harder for predators to know when and where the babies will appear.

This would be an excellent reproductive premise and strategy for your aliens.

If you are basing the basking on reptiles, know that many reptile species have to absorb Ultra Violet Blue rays in order to metabolise calcium which is needed for bone growth. If you are basing the basking on reptiles then all of your aliens would need to bask at the very least in the morning or evening hours (although this is typically ineffective compared to daylight prime hours due to the angle and strength of the light and any obscuring factors such as landscape or foliage weakening the photo period or quality).

Also hatching and living at different times will eventually cause evolutionary divergence into two separate species. If your aliens exhibit this trait then there should be marked physical characteristics that separate the nocturnal from diurnal variants.

Just a footnote. Not all reptiles need UVB light to developed and metabolise calcium and vitamins. The leopard gecko for example is nocturnal as are other squamatids.

As for the name I would not dream of naming them. That is something you should decide for yourself as an author.

I hope that the suggestions on morphology and physiology are useful. Its an interesting premise. I'd make sure that the factors causing this are well defined for your readers to buy into it.

Best wishes with your story and your alien creation. :) Cheers!

Nature abhors imbalance. As a biologist I can tell you that four antenna or two make for better believability. The same way that making the fifth finger prehensile and strong like a thumb is more likely than a sixth digit. But I can go for the extra digit easier than the odd antenna.
Why are odd numbers a problem? A kangaroo perches on three limbs. Even if you start with bilateral symmetry, evolution can cause certain structures to merge, like the way elephant seal's lower limbs are becoming a single "tail" flipper, or odd toed ungulates.

If you start with radial symmetry and move to a directional body plan odd numbers become even more likely.

So what would be a good species name for these aliens that humans can understand?

The aliens are likely to have their own name for themselves, just as humans will likely have their own name for them (ie, in English). The two don't have to be remotely similar. There are also likely to be slang terms.

Why are odd numbers a problem? A kangaroo perches on three limbs. Even if you start with bilateral symmetry, evolution can cause certain structures to merge, like the way elephant seal's lower limbs are becoming a single "tail" flipper, or odd toed ungulates.

If you start with radial symmetry and move to a directional body plan odd numbers become even more likely.

A kangaroo does not have three lower limbs. It does not perch on three lower limbs as you assert. It uses its tail as a counter balance and rest. Most animals use their tail in the same manner, counter balance, steering during locomotion, or prehensile use, or for swimming and propulsion.

The elephant seal does NOT have a single fused flipper. It has two hind limbs with bones similar to any other mammal under webbed suffusion of skin. And it is split bilaterally as are ALL organisms on the planet.

Ungulants with three toes or single hooves still have trace remnants of their five toed origin. In fact it has been the primary building plan for most aves, reptiles, and mammals for the history of their evolution.

And let us not get sidetracked either. As I mentioned I can see variance in digits. Manx cats often have extra toes. Theropod dinosaurs had odd counts for their digits.

I defy you to find an insect (typically the most widely divergent morphology in all of the animal kingdom goes to insects so you have the best chance of finding such a creature here) that has three antenna.

Go ahead and try to find a single example.

All arthropods are bilateral in their structure.

Some fish such as angler fish have a single structure with a lure on the end to draw prey close enough to gulp down. But even if the body of the angler is a species with fleshy protuberances (used to disguise the fish as part of the background) that might superficially resemble strange antenna, the central lure apendage is not an antenna at all. It is part of the dorsal array and spines of the fish.

Last little factor is WHY?

Why would the organism need antenna? Antenna are not just vestigial protrusions on an animal's body. They serve a purpose. The evolution of antenna in arthropods such as crabs, shrimp, lobsters, insects, etc is not arbitrary.

No mammal has antenna. No reptile has them either. Nor do birds, which stands to reason given their family tree. So not only would I question why an alien biped or large alien had them, I would want to know as a biologist what incredibly evolution defying set of strange and vital circumstances lead to the development of a third antenna and what they are used for in the first place?

Insects use them to communicate, to pick up chemicals, to detect predators in the case of nocturnal moths, etc. But insects and all antenna bearing organisms function with two or four antenna. Bilateralism is the order of all major large life forms.

So yes, I would find the existence of antenna (even just two, the natural standard) in a biped or large alien unlikely unless there were some good explanation as to why these evolved for this particular species. As to the third antenna, if I read that in a story description or saw it on the cover art, I don't care whom that author is, I would not read the book.

Now that's just me. But for my own perspective (and again just my own opinion) if an author wishes me to suspend disbelief for something viable (however unlikely) I can accept that purely for entertainment purposes. But if that author has no respect for the laws of nature and evolution and asks me to read about aliens with a cool looking but impossible extra antenna, and there's not some explanation for it, forget it.

I feel like sticking on strange extras to emphasize the "alien" status of another species while defying nature and logic is a rather poor mechanism for a writer. (No offense to the thread poster).

My suggestions were intended to allow the author to reflect on these facts.

I wish to know not only as a scientist but as a fiction reader why do his aliens have the antenna at all? And is the third antenna in any way viable? Why not simply two?

To the author of the thread I will play devil's advocate and present a counter point argument in case others mirror my criticism.

Here it is.

IF the nocturnal hatch actually migrated to cave systems and lived a subterranean life then antenna used as feelers or for sound wave or pressure detection would be viable.

If the third antenna were actually two that had fused into one hyper sensitive upper antenna perhaps with a split or fork at the end this could be viable.

The only other argument for it would be that it is genetic manipulation. Perhaps punishment to have a useless vestigial antenna by a race that either conquered or created your aliens.

Best wishes in your writing. Again I hope that the suggests help. Always bear in mind function when creating form.

Cheers! ;)

ErikB,

You seem to be forgetting that this is not an earth mammal or an earth insect. So if the xenobiologists find a structure that serves a sense function closer to an arthropods antennae than a mammal's whisker, they are likely to call it antenna. But whiskers are analogous structures to antennae in mammals. They don't work the same or have the same evolutionary origin - but they provide the same function, even though cats don't live in caves. The value of protruding sense organs in daytime living mammals is a fact.

As far as odd numbers go, you didn't like me calling a kangaroo tail a limb for "perching", but you did say they rest on it. And that was the only point I was making - two structures with different origins can end up with similar functions to the point that they are indistinguishable. A triceratops has three functionally similar horns despite bilateralism. A narwall has a single protruding tooth, and dolphin has three fins. Elephants have a single extra prehensile limb. If an animal with a prehensile nose also used a forked tongue in a similar manner, would that not constitute a three pronged sense structure? So a mammalian-like animal evolving three very similar simple sense organs doesn't seem unlikely from the 1 and 2 symmetry of a triceratops or the tendency of single structures like tongues to split, or paired structures to merge (hooves and teeth). Whether there are vestigial signs that a single structure was once paired or not, it is still a single structure.

Bilateralism is the order of all major large life forms.
I don't see how you can claim this - a starfish is not bilateral, it is radially symmetric. And a flounder and crabs are "losing" their bilateralism. Is it really so outlandish to picture a radially symmetric organism that evolves along bilateral lines, like how starfish will "walk" in the direction of two of its legs at times? With a flounder-like redistribution of structures, a radial organism could evolve bilateral arrangements without losing its basic radial internal structure. This would be another path to a two legged organism with three radial sense organs.

I'm just surprised you're trying to shoehorn an alien into earth taxonomic divisions. There are plenty of ways we see in earth animals for how an odd numbered arrangement could come about through the splitting, merging or even independent emergence of a third structure (dorsal fin). And that's ignoring moves to or away from bilateralism. I don't understand how a biologist could have such a narrow view.

Yeah. And here is a good reason to have 3 antennae, hearing a much fuller spectrum. 1 for infrasound, 1 for human hearing range, and 1 for ultrasound. The mother aliens probably hear their chicks moving in the eggs because of their ultrasound antenna.

And a 6 fingered hand with 2 thumbs is more believable than a more independent pinkie.

Also you can have diurnal and nocturnal creatures of the same species. Humans are a great example of that. Some humans, especially teens and night shift workers are nocturnal. Others are diurnal. But they are all the same species, Homo sapiens

^.^

<.<

>.>

I'm staying out of the science debate.

I would give them a name from their source of first contact with earthlings. Say they come visit a Seti UN meeting, and figure out how to point out their home system on our charts.
Yes I know there are slot of unnamed stars and systems, but that just makes it more plausible when you call them Hallites from the Dave system. Or whatever. If not a currently listed system, just say it's one discovered by 2020.

Or if first contact is with a simple rural child, their name would be more descriptive. LizyCritters, Bugfaced-toothinannies... you don't say anything about coloration, but that would be an easy way to slip it in. Coralers coral snake coloration, or coral coloration... NightVipers, if dark skinned...

Also take into account the emotional tone you want to set with the name. Fearsome things have a names that give warning. Deathbell, Devils Tongue, Horny Devil, Komodo Dragon, Terrible Lizard, Texas Two Step...

Nameculture is a fascinating study in and of itself.

And here is a good reason to have 3 antennae, hearing a much fuller spectrum. 1 for infrasound, 1 for human hearing range, and 1 for ultrasound.

Having just one of each sense organ would not allow that sense to be directional. That's why we tend to get paired sense.

I'm just surprised you're trying to shoehorn an alien into earth taxonomic divisions.

I think readers naturally would. When exploring alien biology it would be helpful for a writer to understand terrestrial biology, to get some idea of the reasons and limitations for existing species, but also how different environments could result in very unique differences. This is precisely the approach scientists take in the study of Astrobiology: Astrobiology Magazine Exploring the Solar System and beyond

I suspect most writers don't know too much about biology, hence why they tend to avoid giving too much description for alien animals - else simply create analogues for familiar species, but with different names.

2c.

I feel like sticking on strange extras to emphasize the "alien" status of another species while defying nature and logic is a rather poor mechanism for a writer.

Excellent educational post @ErikB (not your first). However :) How many times have we heard, "I don't know, I've never seen anything like it."

I think one of the reasons people enjoy science fiction is because it can introduce them into fantastical worlds inhabited by fantastical creatures. These creatures may challenge our understanding of evolution, but that could be because we don't know everything about evolution when it relates to the universe. For example, "A creature with concentrated acid for blood."

ErikB,

You seem to be forgetting that this is not an earth mammal or an earth insect. So if the xenobiologists find a structure that serves a sense function closer to an arthropods antennae than a mammal's whisker, they are likely to call it antenna. But whiskers are analogous structures to antennae in mammals. They don't work the same or have the same evolutionary origin - but they provide the same function, even though cats don't live in caves. The value of protruding sense organs in daytime living mammals is a fact.

As far as odd numbers go, you didn't like me calling a kangaroo tail a limb for "perching", but you did say they rest on it. And that was the only point I was making - two structures with different origins can end up with similar functions to the point that they are indistinguishable. A triceratops has three functionally similar horns despite bilateralism. A narwall has a single protruding tooth, and dolphin has three fins. Elephants have a single extra prehensile limb. If an animal with a prehensile nose also used a forked tongue in a similar manner, would that not constitute a three pronged sense structure? So a mammalian-like animal evolving three very similar simple sense organs doesn't seem unlikely from the 1 and 2 symmetry of a triceratops or the tendency of single structures like tongues to split, or paired structures to merge (hooves and teeth). Whether there are vestigial signs that a single structure was once paired or not, it is still a single structure.

I don't see how you can claim this - a starfish is not bilateral, it is radially symmetric. And a flounder and crabs are "losing" their bilateralism. Is it really so outlandish to picture a radially symmetric organism that evolves along bilateral lines, like how starfish will "walk" in the direction of two of its legs at times? With a flounder-like redistribution of structures, a radial organism could evolve bilateral arrangements without losing its basic radial internal structure. This would be another path to a two legged organism with three radial sense organs.

I'm just surprised you're trying to shoehorn an alien into earth taxonomic divisions. There are plenty of ways we see in earth animals for how an odd numbered arrangement could come about through the splitting, merging or even independent emergence of a third structure (dorsal fin). And that's ignoring moves to or away from bilateralism. I don't understand how a biologist could have such a narrow view.

Oh RX-79G you have gone on an interesting tangent my friend. Let's address and correct some discussion points and misconceptions that you have both about me and biological points discussed.

First off I have not forgotten that this is science fiction and not an Earth insect or mammal. Thank you for making that point.

The poster describes their creation as having a mix of mammalian and reptilian attributes. Their description! So when I share information about mammals and reptiles it is in following with general morphs and natural evolutionary forces (regardless of what planet it is, the forces driving the evolutionary process are universal) it is in holding with the creator's description which is FULL of evolutionary contradictions. Especially reproductively. But let's address your discussion first. Since you seem to think that I am overlooking things or being unfair in my assessment as a biologist.

Antenna are not the same structurally as whiskers in cats and feelers in fish. The reception is a different mechanism entirely.

Cats don't live in caves (for the most part) but they are primarily NOCTURNAL hunters. At night the benefit of whiskers which are hair follicles allowing the feline to feel narrowing paths in the dark goes without saying. But those whiskers do not detect chemicals, sound, etc. They are just long touch sensitive hairs.

I did not dislike or like you saying that a kangaroo tail is a limb. I merely pointed out that it is not an odd limb. YOU tried stating that it was comparable to the third antenna numerically which it is absolutely not. I did not disagree with you in the function, only the morphology.

Triceratops is an extinct animal that did have a horn (perfectly symmetric and again a balance of two horns where a division is bilateral). The Narwhal has two teeth actually that spiral into one and again is a perfect example of bilateral balance in an organism.

Dolphins have 5 fins or 4 if you wish to list the caudel lobe with its two sides as one fin. It is STILL bilaterally balanced. The dorsal fin is modified from the back vertebrae and cartilage of the animal and the sides are evenly divided.

The trunk of an elephant is prehensile and used as a limb at times. But it is NOT a limb. Your assertion is erroneous. It is the animal's nose or proboscis. Tapirs have a semi prehensile snout as well. So do anteaters and aardvarks. They are ALL still bilaterally balanced without extraneous limbs.

The fact is that neither mammals ( one portion of the alien species in question) or reptiles (the other part) have antenna. Why?

To detect sound?

Really? Dogs can hear into the ultrasonic sound range. The organs used by mammals and reptiles for sound detection are called ears. Both animal groups have them. Not antenna for three sound ranges???

Man that is reaching. Its also not how evolution works in these types of creatures.

You quoted me. So happy you did that. REREAD what I wrote.

You see the part about, "Bilateralism is the order of all major LARGE life forms?"

Let me reiterate the word LARGE and enough said.

This is why the discussion excludes Jellies, Sponges, Crynoids, Corals, Anemones, and other non bilateral organisms. Its a size and reptile/mammal thing. ;)

So you threw in starfish? Seriously?

And you are incorrect about their locomotion. True starfish move on tubular "feet" similar to many other echinoderms. I handly and watch these creatures daily.

The animal you might be thinking of is a close relative of the starfish but older. Its called a brittlestar. They move bilaterally with one of their five arms pointing the lead direction and the other four moving the brittlestar in that direction until it changes arms.

Flounders (regardless of occular migration) are still bilateral.

And as for your "shoehorn" assertion, that is not me trying to do anything. The taxonomy was told to us by the thread poster. I didn't decide on the composition of their aliens. THEY did the shoehorning my friend. Its all on the poster.

By the way a split tongue is for scent detection but still just a bilateral organ. Not a limb however.

Lastly as a biologist I have a VERY comprehensive understanding of how life evolves and functions. From external pressures on organisms to their specific niches and functional morphology. Nature is NOT arbitrary. It is diverse yes. But random? Hardly.

I am very open minded. But there are things to consider when creating alien species and using examples from the types of life forms that they are supposedly a combination of does require at least a little bit of viability. I'm surprised that you are not more aware of the contradictions such as 3 antenna for hearing, reproduction via egg laying yet producing milk for young (montremes are the only mammals that do this, and they are limited to 2 groups, 5 species, and have marsupial-like parental care involved), and nocturnal basking. These are major biological contradictions.

If you want me to believe in fire underwater, I know that it is possible to have it happen. But don't try to sell me on wet fire. Its not even worth debating. And in creating a third antenna, or even the first two, that is the equivalent of saying the fire was sopping wet. I'm not buying it.

My suggestions are not meant to be a criticism. They are intended to help the poster to review and strengthen their aliens.

In the end its their creation. Ignore everything I'm sharing if you wish. It is ultimately fiction after all. If by fiction anything goes then have at it. But there will be those that look and shake their heads at what is obvious to them even if overlooked by the general reader.

Last edited:
ErikB,

Your post makes it pretty clear that you are not taking the alien part seriously.

An organism having "reptilian and mammalian attributes" is NOT a combination of earth reptile and earth mammal. There is no such thing as a combination of two, so if you want to be the leader of the Taxonomic Purity Party, that should have been your first objection.

"Reptile", "mammal", "antenna" are just descriptors of analogous structures - not guides to the evolutionary path that the alien life form took, just how it ended up. The principle of convergent evolution even demonstrates that different paths can lead to similar results.

On that note, I think it is odd that you want to stick to some sort of limited definition of "limb" as well. All the word means is a mobile or jointed appendage - which can include tails, tentacles, trunks, wings, flippers, antenna, legs. So I would enjoy seeing what reference material you are using to restrict that word. I can't find a biological reference source that offers such a technical definition. What I can point out are both odd and even arrangements of "limbs" located around the mouths of cuddlefish or the head of an elephant. It is not absurd to think that an uneven number of shaft like appendages could grace the head of even a terrestrial creature - especially if the three are actually a pair and a single.

I also can't find whatever definition you are using for a "large life forms". Starfish get up to 40" and 11 pounds. What is the relevance of the body size to this discussion? What mass animals counts as large? Why couldn't trilateral evolution lead to a mostly bilateral arrangement in a COMPLETELY alien biosphere?

Cats: The whiskers also make up for farsightedness that cats have in daylight.

Why argue about this? Because the incredible thing isn't that a mammal/reptile like creature would have three antennae. The incredible thing is that an alien would be even vaguely earth-like in any part of its anatomy enough to start making comparisons. The OP is not describing a griffen or other mythic animal assembled out of other animals. The alien just has an external appearance that conforms to the rough description of some earth animals.

From the OP's description I pictured two long tubes that serve as both ears and touch organs - maybe made of cartilage and mobile like a cat's ear. The third tube might not be as mobile and is the one that detects the lower wavelengths, is more rigid and extends up and back from the sinuses. Direction still works because many sounds extend to multiple wavelengths. I don't think that is absurd for even an earth mammal, and certainly not for something that might not even have DNA.

Well, I hope the original poster takes away the point that indeed alien means alien - but using earth-based life as a point of reference can create problems with expectations and assumptions

I think as our understanding of our world and the universe improves so we require more sophisticated aliens. From Greek mythology right up until nineteen-sixties sci-fi, fantastical creatures have been based upon our knowledge of the world around us, i.e. take a spider and make it bigger.

The modern audience craves new ideas and concepts, so perhaps we have to ignore what we know about our world.

Er, might just be me, but the OP was about the name of the aliens, and not their biology. Personally (and I'm not getting into the biology debate, I know nothing about biology, but I do know what "fiction" means), I'm not sure what you want from the name. I presume you're looking for human names to be given to the aliens, rather than the aliens' own names for themselves (assuming they're sentient, have laguage etc) so here are some ideas based upon the former.

Seems to me that you ought to have three types of name: a Latin / Greek classification to establish genus, species, order, that sort of thing.
Then you want a common name.
Then you want a slang name, as mentioned above.

As for the classical name, it's alien, so classical taxonomy won't apply.
Why not have them classified as something like xenolacerta (literally, "alien" "lizard") as their formal name?

Then perhaps something that describes their general appearance / behaviour as their common name, in the way "Lyre bird" kind of hints at what a lyre bird does. Or Spider Monkey. Whale shark, that sort of thing. So perhaps Ostrich Lizard (on account of the eggs)? Martian Dragon? Or something similar?

Then the slang. Again, this kind of should hint at general appearance or behaviour, and probably isn't complimentary. I'm thinking of "those fokken' prawns!" from District 9 kind of thing. You know your aliens and characters best, so think what they might be called insultingly among humans.

What I wouldn't do is go down route of calling them Zoglites or Gorbonian Fafflenenglers or something completely made up.

Back