Dune Film/TV Comeback

Maybe a TV show would work with all the intricacies of the story, then they can use the other books in the series.

Would be pretty ambitious if they chose to do Dune as the whole series of books. Few thousand year gap between some of the series.

Might also mean that a couple of the middle seasons are just the God Emperor waxing lyrical about the Golden Path.

To be honest though I could really see this working.

I have only read the first book and not continuing the series due to some flack it gets for being bogged down in politics etc.

I have only read the first book and not continuing the series due to some flack it gets for being bogged down in politics etc.
I think you can safely read the first 3 before it gets bogged down in politics. God Emperor is pretty political and a large portion of the novel is just the God Emperor imparting wisdom. I still really enjoyed it though.

Thx SilentRoamer, I'll probably just stick to reading Dune and leaving it there, not really interested in the rest but that's coz my taste has changed since I last read this book. :)

This is great news, if a remake can bring in a new audience to the book.

I have to say that I really enjoyed both the movie and the TV series.

I do. I've seen it get quite a lot of criticism here, but I've found it to be an entertaining adaptation.

Hmm. I'm going to reserve judgment. Dune doesn't have a happy history of adaptation. Still, here's hoping...

On another point, after clicking the OP link, how revolting and user-unfriendly is The Independent website? Bleurgh!

Dune is a challenge - far more so than Middle Earth and Lord of the Rings.
Even as a book its a bit of a challenge to read and keep up with things going on; it sets itself a lot of mysterious and religious events and ties that complicates its story. Granted that's part of the thrill, but bringing that same thrill to the movies is going to be hard if you want it to land mass market appeal (and thus support a large budget).

I foresee them changing quite a bit just to keep the audience up to speed to make it a bit more mainstream. We might also see them cut some elements to get the age rating down.

Honestly I rather enjoyed the first Dune adaptation; but then it was made in that era of puppets and models and also with that fantasy twist edge to it that I feel hasn't really been recaptured in many sci-fi films in more recent years (indeed more recent sci-fi has more taken a leaf from the action-flick or teen-flick).