(Found) mega octopoid brain controllers

Discussion in 'Book Search' started by dannymcg, Nov 22, 2016.

1. dannymcg

dannymcg Raoul Mitgong won't help

This was a LOT of years ago (early seventies ?) and what I remember is the protagonist, using some invention, could suddenly see these metaphysical cords reaching down into people's brains and controlling/ feeding off their energy. I think he could see massive shapes in deepest space sending these down to Earth (uncertain about that ). so anyways he devised a countermeasure and his control cord was snapped off. for a while he faced hostility from the controlled but he somehow got military help and more and more were 'freed'. However, in a further refinement to his viewing device it was then realised that a new type of psychic parasite ,individual this time, were latching on and riding around invisibly on people's shoulders with a probe into brains. so then our hero had to start all over again to ensure neither the multi or single creatures could control humanity. cue lots of violence between the free and the two controlled groups.... anyone ?thanks

2. dannymcg

PS I'm aware there's a alien race with somewhat similar characteristics in a couple of the Lensman stories but not the novel I'm trying to remember

3. PaulMmn

PaulMmn Well-Known Member

Aliens riding around on people's shoulders sounds like Heinlein's "Puppet Masters." Except those weren't invisible. :)
    --Paul E Musselman

4. dannymcg

nah, not 'puppet masters' Paul. That book didn't have the massive octopoid type creatures in it. I think the individual invisible things were described as "spiky" whereas the Puppet Masters were like a half deflated ball

5. dannymcg

Something has popped up in another forum and I THINK it could be the answer to my query.

Possibly Jack Vance 'the brains of Earth'
    My memory of this is very garbled and I can't find a decent synopsis of the story to confirm.
    As usual it's surprising how some memories get corrupted over time and chunks of similar stories merge into one - read it around 1971 or '72!

SilentRoamer likes this.
  6. PaulMmn

PaulMmn Well-Known Member

There was a plot element in the TV series Babylon 5, where a race of beings could detach a small tentacled part of themselves that would latch onto another being they wanted to control. Then the controlled being had to follow the orders of the 'master' race.

--Paul E Musselman

7. dannymcg

I must have missed that Paul.
    Only viewed occasional episodes due to my work schedules at the time - sounds a bit similar to my book memory

8. dannymcg

This is now 'FOUND' - It was indeed The Brains of Earth by Jack Vance.
    I managed a look at a copy and it confirms my (hazy) memories