Mass email sent

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Just to let everyone know that I've sent a rare mass email to all chrons members. As mentioned in the email, you can opt-out from ever receiving one again.

I did forget to mention that chrons is 15 years old this month! After having been first set up in November 2001 using YabbSE forum software.

Also, while the forums are in no danger of dying any time soon, my sole income is now my earnings as a novelist. I just thought I'd better warn everybody about that.

Any questions, feel free to ask below.

WaylanderToo

Just to let everyone know that I've sent a rare mass email to all chrons members. As mentioned in the email, you can opt-out from ever receiving one again.

I did forget to mention that chrons is 15 years old this month! After having been first set up in November 2001 using YabbSE forum software.

Also, while the forums are in no danger of dying any time soon, my sole income is now my earnings as a novelist. I just thought I'd better warn everybody about that.

Any questions, feel free to ask below.

you work for the NHS don't you :whistle::whistle:

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
@Brian G Turner - just to let you know gmail are junking the email. I had to go find it.

Also, several of us mentioned in your other thread, but without tagging so it may have been missed, that we would be interested in, for instance, advertising on the Chrons if it helped with revenue.

It's just that - world weary hat on - even if every Chrons member bought copies (I'm waiting to get a shiny kindle to read yours and a couple of others to do them justice) the income would be mimimal. Is there something else that could help in the interim?

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
I didn't receive it. My husband has our email set up in such a way that it's hard to find things that go into the spam filter, which I imagine your mass mailing did.

Could you give us the text of the email here?

Cli-Fi

John J. Falco
@Brian G Turner - just to let you know gmail are junking the email. I had to go find it.

Also, several of us mentioned in your other thread, but without tagging so it may have been missed, that we would be interested in, for instance, advertising on the Chrons if it helped with revenue.

It's just that - world weary hat on - even if every Chrons member bought copies (I'm waiting to get a shiny kindle to read yours and a couple of others to do them justice) the income would be mimimal. Is there something else that could help in the interim?
Same thing happened to me Jo. On another forum, I use they have a donation button set up, where they have users contribute to help with their site operating costs.

I believe they set the budget so that they can ask users to donate the exact amount of money it costs to run the site. Pretty nifty. They yell at us, if they haven't made the monthly limit and everyone always helps them out in the end. In the three years on that forum, I've only ever felt the need to donate once, because they were in a bind. I was going to do it, the next day, but then they had been saved by other members throughout the night.

And if @Brian G Turner ever feels like he can't take on the job anymore because his books do too well and he gets too busy writing, I'm sure some of us computer nerds can help him run it.

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
I would hate to lose this forum. I think it would be great if we could participate in some way in keeping it alive. I would make a donation.
As would I, in a heartbeat. I imagine there are many others who would happily do the same.

After all these years when Brian has supported this wonderful online home for so many of us, it would be an honor to take some of the financial burden off of him and contribute.

Juliana

Juliana Spink Mills. "No capes!"
Supporter
Mine went to gmail spam too, but luckily I always check my spam folder because I'm paranoid like that. :D

Happy 15th to the Chrons!!!

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
Didn't get the email either. Checked spam folder just in case - not there.

I did, however, get an email from Amazon saying that I might be interested in a certain book by one Brian G. Turner:D

TheDustyZebra

Aspiring notaphilist
Staff member
Supporter
I don't know what the email says, but I've said it before -- I would absolutely chip in on a regular basis to keep the lights on here. I just hope it doesn't mean I have to buy a copy of Brian's book every month. I already have way too many books sitting around in boxes and piling up everywhere. I suppose I could donate them to the libraries and the local bookstore, though. Hmm... :D

Alex The G and T

Thar! That Blows.
The first time I checked my spam filter in months. Like, the one I have to log on to ATT (the bastards... I hate ATT, I fired them a decade ago, for smarmy, sneaky monopolistic infarctions, yet somehow they bought out all the good guys and squarmed me back into their evil clutches because I can't get DSL without them.)

And there it was.

Reading this thread, I thought that this mass mailing would be a query for (shudder) alms. But all you ask is to, maybe, buy your book?

I'm fresh out of new reads. I'm happy to try out your book, Brian, for a mere 5 bucks. (Done deal)

And thank you, thank you, Brian for maintaining this site. It truly is an oasis of rationality* upon the stormy seas of a most raucous internet.

(*Rationality seems an odd term for a community which thrives in a world of fantastical delusion and psychotic invention; but it works.)

Cli-Fi

John J. Falco
As would I, in a heartbeat. I imagine there are many others who would happily do the same.

After all these years when Brian has supported this wonderful online home for so many of us, it would be an honor to take some of the financial burden off of him and contribute.
I got the email and it caused me to grimace. I would hate to lose this forum. I think it would be great if we could participate in some way in keeping it alive. I would make a donation.
I think @Brian G Turner is just warning us all at some future point that the site may experience some financial setbacks. It doesn't seem like it's in much danger, at the moment.