Help ! I can't find a title !

joncoconut

Dear community members,

I can't remember the title of a book, that might as well have been a movie, and the plot is the following:
A group of people of the earth are sent to space for ages to wait for a cataclysm to occur on earth and then after it happened, go back there to repopulate the earth.
I'm sorry for the lack of details that's pretty much all I remember.
Do yoiu have any idea what it could be ?

Thanks a lot for your help !!

Thanks for the quick reply Brian ! Actually if I remember well, it's a group of people that are chosen in prevision of the end of mankind, so while they are sent to space, the earth hasn't had a cataclysm yet but they know it's going to happen, and so these people in space are programmed to "wake up" and go back to earth after the "end", as soon as the conditions to restart life there are good.

Can you remember when you read/saw it and whether it was new then or was an older book/film? That might give our experts something to hold onto.

Meanwhile, I'll take this over to Book Search (even though it might be a film!) as that where our mos knowledgeable denizens gather for tidbits like this.

Great thanks, I think it was a book I read in the 90's, but there must be a movie/tv adaptation.

Like they say everyone has a doctor ive lived through many but Tom Baker is my Dr Who when i read this DrWho never entered my head but if you remember the wirrn this is it eggs lain inside bodies

Neither of these books really fit your description of what you are looking for, but they might help in narrowing down the search. The first is "Deepwater Black" by Ken Catran. It was the first book in his Deepwater Black series and involves Earth being abandoned because of an outbreak, with ark ships being sent out in to space. However if I remember correctly in the book the ships, and their eventual clone crews, were to seed new worlds, not repopulate Earth. It was adapted as a series called (depending on where it was run) either Deepwater Black or Mission Genesis for the Sci-Fi Channel in the mid-nineties.

Another thought (though I am sure there are many books with the same set-up) is Jack Williamson's "Terraforming Earth". In it a meteor hits the Earth killing everything and the survivors, then their clones, live on the Moon waiting until the Earth is habitable again.

It sounds like it maybe
Noah II
by Roger Dixon
Ace books 1970
441-58250-075

IMG_4162c.jpg

Actually, the plot of Wall-e was pretty much the same-- ship of fools out in space waiting for Earth to be recolonizable again... except the AI that ran the ship didn't want to give up control to the captain and return to Earth...

Back