Gathering (Chronicles of Empire 1) is now available

Is there a Nook version for Barnes and Noble customers. Sorry, I don't Amazon (due to the fact that I have hundreds of dollars of B&N gift cards)
That's very cool to know that. I've just taken Inish Carraig out of KDP and put it up on the other platforms, so it's good to know customers have incentives to purchase from them.

Is there some other way to putchase it? Via PayPal maybe?
I don't own a creditcard at present, which makes purchasing stuff on Amazon rather difficult.

I don't own a creditcard at present, which makes purchasing stuff on Amazon rather difficult.

I'm afraid Amazon remains the sole distributor at present, but I'm not sure any major alternatives would allow payments with Paypal. As you're based outside the UK I can't think of any immediate fixes either. My apologies for that.

Hi Brian,

I just wanted to drop by and congratulate you for the book. I will receive my paper copy through Amazon Canada this Friday, so I will have the chance to make some comments soon.

I understand you cannot afford to organize something for a signed copy, so maybe you can post a thread as a general signature for all those interested to print it and added in the book. Just a thought. :)

I have a PayPal debit card (I never signed up for the credit card because I didn't want to pay the interest or spend more money that I actually have), and I recommend the debit card to anyone who keeps some of their money in a PayPal account. It's accepted almost everywhere, and I've used it to buy a ton of books from Amazon, so I know it works there.

Brian, you should take a look on Amazon Canada, format paperback. I think you will enjoy the comments and give you a kick to work faster for the next one. :D

I will give you only a small quote from Elvet's comments:

*I am a big fan of 'fish out of water' stories, in fact I started a list here at Goodreads for modern character goes to fantasyland type books. Gathering arguably can fit into that description. Even without that aspect, this was an enjoyable read for me, and I look forward to the next in the series.*

Btw, if anyone feels like posting a negative review, please don't be afraid to do so. All reviews are welcome - I personally find critical ones the most useful when making a buying decision. :)

Btw, if anyone feels like posting a negative review, please don't be afraid to do so. All reviews are welcome - I personally find critical ones the most useful when making a buying decision. :)

Eh, well, as many had pointed out in the review (myself included), the story takes its time to really hit it off, but you balanced that nicely with character establishment and development as well as with a seat-gripping escalation so nobody really sees it as a true flaw. Storytelling is always a bit of a give and take. It was slow, but it had a lot of development and there were so many hints to character's backstory that just drove the attention. While on its own, a slow start can be considered a flaw, when it is properly balanced out, it can hardly be considered a bad thing.

Some things were predictable. E.g. I figured out who was Rodrigan's daughter the first time he thinks about her, but the clash where we get the confirmation was still one of most impressive scenes in part exactly because I already knew. Even though he is the antagonist there, the empathy with him was at an all time high because I could focus on his emotions and his realizations rather than be preoccupied with being "Holy hell, he is her father and he is about to kill her! asdkhfa!" Again, predictability might be the issue, but the impact of the scene where it most matters does not really hinge on it being so unexpected so it doesn't matter.

I think this is the reason why you don't get many highly critical reviews. Everything we might point out as a flaw, was already thought about and balanced out in some way. Most reviewers so far seem to understand that in writing, there is no true right or wrong (except terrible technical skill) and that it depends on how you arrange it all together. I think it will be a while yet before you get any negative reviews, probably only after the book reaches a very broad audience where one can encounter some very rigid reviewers.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is great. Major congratulations, Brian, on getting your novel done. Good reviews, too.
I shall probably give it a try, eventually.

Well done, and best of luck to you with any future novels you might have in the making!