Discussion Thread -- November 2016 75-word writing challenge

I hate when that happens. :D

I just realized I'd better get my voting in tonight or I'll forget tomorrow. Quite a few stories that seemed off-genre, that would have been included here if I could have seen a connection. The fault is probably mine.

Special kudos to DEO for Brontosaurus II. :)

Cathbad -- The World is What You Make It
Stable -- Satisfaction
CC -- Tit for Tat
Shyrka -- A Dream of Clouds
Peter V -- Babysitting
Hex -- Goodnight Kiss
johnnyjet -- "...and they were covered with eyes..."
Justin Swanton -- Discovery
*mosaix -- The Eyes Have It*
Dave Barsby -- Last Chance
HB -- Devil You Know
TJ -- Dead Man's Map

I voted. My shortslist (is that what's left when you eliminate the pantslist?) consisted of:- AstroZon, Coast, Dave Barsby, Glen, Hex & Mad Alice, definitely hetrogeneous taste, and sticking in the pin got the vote to Hex.

Thanks to our indefatigable commentators for maintaining the flow of nice analises (oh, yes, I do complicate your job, but what use is a challenge if it doesn't?), and Cathbad & Droflet for the listings. And on to new adventures!

Vaz, LittleStar, HareBrain and ratsy all came exceedingly close, but I could only pick one... and it was The Judge.

I'll echo the sentiments of others regarding the quality, really good stories top to bottom. I struggled to the get the theme into the piece this month, so I've got to give props to all those who did!

I'll also add my name to the laundry list thanking our reviewers, Victoria and Shyrka.

So you're assuming that next month's topic and genre won't be, respectively, Dull and Mundane SF....

No I say... NO!

It will be Santa filled happiness and harmony, with fluffy seasonal cheer (sadly there will be no Rudolf, unless your using pots of glue on your Christmas wrapping paper). We're all going to be deliriously happy, and I do mean happy, or I'll apply my usual solutions to the problem. I will allow a few more days of glum behaviour as we're still in November, but after that....

Many excellent variations on the theme this month. It was tough to narrow down, but . . .

My Long List, Short List and **** Favorite ****

1. **** The Promotion - Victoria Silverwolf ****
  2. Tit for Tat - Cat's Cradle
  3. The Odon Cartograph – AstroZon
  4. Brontosaurus’ Quantum Thesaurus (And Atlas Of Alternate Worlds) - David Evil Overlord
  5. We Have a Map of the Future – Wruter
  6. Mapa Cutis – Phyrebrat
  7. Backup – Ihe
  8. Palm Reader – Tricanthos
  9. "...with each note we will honor the spirit..." - Cory Swanson
  10. Goodnight Kiss – Hex
  11. Scratched - Ashleyne. B. Watts
  12. Pleasure in Dystopia - Old_Man_Steve2016
  13. Here Be Monsters - Bowler1
  14. The Eyes Have It – mosaix
  15. Dead Man's Map - The Judge

Hope, @ratsy – Driven by desire for a lost love, the subject of this bleak tale leads a rag-tag band of survivors on a blind quest with no real prospect of survival, fuelled by nothing but the scant scraps of hope provided by a vague and tattered map.

Dead Man’s Map, @The Judge – A captured rebel faces their final moments bravely, safe in the knowledge that their sacrifice – and self-mutilation – will not be in vain.

Sic Semper Tyrannis, @TheDustyZebra – Many dictators seek to re-write history but few have attempted to re-write maps, unlike the worryingly-familiar subject of this satirical piece. Previously, it would have seemed absurd. But now…?

No Map to the Light, @The Big Peat – Seeking a cure for an innocent child, the subject of this tale of unnerving, cave-dwelling healers is prepared to sacrifice their guarantee of freedom for the life of their infant charge.

---

That concludes this month's reviews. As always, it's been fun (if sometimes exasperating - too many entries!) and all the thank yous really are appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for the shortlistings and favourites - getting the impression I'm in 'close but no cigar' territory again this month. I'll be wrestling my own thoughts into something cogent shortly.

Hum bugbah

I'm smiling now as it's still November the 28th. After that it better be - Bah! Humbug.

Interestingly - When referring to a person, a humbug means a fraud or impostor, implying an element of unjustified publicity and spectacle.

Why are you looking at me like that?

Shortlist with Favourites and ***Vote***

The Promotion, @Victoria Silverwolf
The World is What You Make It, @Cathbad
Tit for Tat, @Cat's Cradle
Brontosaurus’ Quantum Thesaurus (And Atlas Of Alternate Worlds), @David Evil Overlord
The Mapmaker, @LittleStar
The Patience Game, @Abernovo
Mappa Cutis, @Phyrebrat
*** Lost, @Coast ***
"...with each note we will honor the spirit...", @Cory Swanson

Apocalyptic World, @hopewrites
Goodnight Kiss, @Hex
Swampson Containment Log: Final Entry, @Heijan Xavier
The Black Chart, @VinceK
Hope, @ratsy

Six hours± to midnight, and I make it:- Abernovo, Ajid, Ashleyne. B. Watts, AstroZon, Cory Swanson, HareBrain, Hex , hopewrites, Judderman, Justin Swanton, Mad Alice, Mith, Mr Orange, Perpetual Man, Peter V, ratsy, Stable, The Big Peat, The Judge and Ursa major haven't yet voted. Some of those are notorious last minuters, but that's still a large percentage of 55 submissions. Oh, and thank you nixie for the vote without submission.

They were quite diverse story offerings this month. But I only voted once. I think Cats Cradle's Tit for Tat was so brilliant I couldn't put down any second or third vote to detract from that story. It was so creative! Kudos to the author.

Back