BLACK SEAS OF INFINITY

Discussion in 'H P Lovecraft' started by John Thiel III, Oct 17, 2016.

1. John Thiel III

John Thiel III I'm sitting with a south shoe.

I just acquired this one and find it valuable reading. It's supposed to be a collection of Lovecraft's best and most important writings. I find this to be true of "At the Mountains of Madness" which is heavily scientific, has a grand cosmic view and a sense of wonder, as well as the usual terrors he likes so well. "Dreams in the Witch House" has a closer look at Arkham than is usually given. Has anyone else gotten this anthology who would care to discuss what is in it? I think a discussion of its contents would be highly profitable--but then, would those be sinister words?

2. w h pugmire esq

w h pugmire esq Well-Known Member

I linger within ye shadows of Sesqua Valley, dream
    It is an excellent collection, contains classics and rarities alike. I know nothing of the editor, who seems to be well-known in fan circles. I just try'd to find my copy so as to reread Miller's Introduction; but I cannot now locate it in ye chaos of my rooms. I like that it has some of ye revisions/collaborations; it's been a while since I've read WINGED DEATH, and I've been wanting to explore that story anew to judge its possible racist contents. A bonus in ye book are ye four appendixes featuring some of HPL's non-fiction scribblings such as "History of the Necronomicon" and "Notes on Writing Weird Fiction".

3. John Thiel III

Well, his journalist doesn't think very highly of negroes, but I don't think Lovecraft thinks very highly of his character. I doubt if Lovecraft could be considered a racist, though I've seen some try, and as I just read the story yesterday I thought I had discovered the source of this opinion of him. But he didn't have any prejudices, and he was just trying to portray a character there.

4. John Thiel III

I'd say that Lovecraft's views of reality are still a matter for controversy these days; he seems to create his own reality to contrast with a reality he regards as shaky, and his "raw" material is what is doing the shaking.