Some minor changes

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Just to advise of some very minor changes to the forum, namely because my first novel, Chronicles of Empire - Gathering, will finally be published next month:

1. Username change

I'm updating my username to my author name - from "Brian Turner" to "Brian G Turner".

2. Author board

I finally get my own author board! Actually, it's more correct to say the author board I used to have until 2003 is now back, though I've removed some very out-of-date content: Brian G Turner

3. Updated default avatar

As mentioned in The History of Chrons the chrons forums were originally built to support my writing. However, by 2003 it became clear that I wasn't going to be published any time soon, so would make better sense to push the forums out on their own to be general SFF forums.

However, I always left the chrons name on the forums - more because all the good SFF names were taken.

And once I started up to a publishing schedule again, I made the decision to make the Chronicles of Empire logo a standard part of the site again (yes, that's what the CE image stands for).

Here's a last look at the original basic logo, which was designed in 2001, and always intended to be developed further for a book cover:

chrons-logo-old.jpg

And here's the version settled on for the cover of Chronicles of Empire - Gathering:

chrons-logo-new.jpg

Therefore this week I'll be swapping out the default avatar for the updated logo.

4. Coming changes

At this point, some of you may be concerned that the chrons forums are going to change in character. Let me assure you that everything will continue the same as it is now, and that we'll remain a dedicated general SFF discussion site.

I know we have members here who will never read or like my writing, and that's perfectly fine - the strength of the chrons community has always been that we're many people with different tastes, but overall shared interests. That remains the whole point of the chrons forums.

The only changes I can imagine for the future involve raising the profile of my writings when there's demand. In which case, these are possibly going to be:

i. Change of domain

Specifically, moving domain from "sffchronicles.com" to "chroniclesofempire.com".

As we've moved domain a number of times in the past:

chroniclesofempire.net > chronicles-network.net > chronicles-network.com > chronicles-network.co.uk > sffchronicles.co.uk > sffchronicles.com

then I can't see any future change of domain as presenting any particular problems.

However, there's little point making this change of domain now, but it is something I'll probably look at in a couple of years.

ii. Increased profile of author board

If I ever find my writing become popular enough, then I may need to expand my Author Board section and make it more visible - ie, move it to the top of the forums, and split it into multiple sections.

However, I am not expecting that to be the case for many, many, many years! :)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Right, that's the minor changes to graphics made. If anyone's worried about putting the logo from my book cover at the top, remember it's no different from when I put the old logo originally intended for the cover. :)

IMO it all looks a little neater and the colours balance better.

However, as always, images can be tweaked, and no doubt I'll return to tinkering again at some point in the future. :D

TheDustyZebra

Aspiring notaphilist
Staff member
I love, love, love the new logo!

And I have to admit that I never quite realized it had an E in it. It's so fancy and swirly, I thought it was just how that particular C was made. :oops:

2DaveWixon

Shocked and Appalled!
I like the new logo too -- it's a bit shield-like and also quite Roman.

Ah, so there is sense in it looking a bit like an "E"! I don't think you said that a couple of years ago when you introduced it.
I'd say it looks a LOT shield-like, as well as Roman -- I find myself expecting to see a bronze-clad shoulder looming up behind it...
Now I think on it, I believe that the prior version gave me an impression of something out of a medieval manuscript. This is a whole new critter...

2DaveWixon

Shocked and Appalled!
Just to advise of some very minor changes to the forum, namely because my first novel, Chronicles of Empire - Gathering, will finally be published next month:

3. Updated default avatar

As mentioned in The History of Chrons the chrons forums were originally built to support my writing. However, by 2003 it became clear that I wasn't going to be published any time soon, so would make better sense to push the forums out on their own to be general SFF forums.

However, I always left the chrons name on the forums - more because all the good SFF names were taken.

And once I started up to a publishing schedule again, I made the decision to make the Chronicles of Empire logo a standard part of the site again (yes, that's what the CE image stands for).

Here's a last look at the original basic logo, which was designed in 2001, and always intended to be developed further for a book cover:

View attachment 32277

And here's the version settled on for the cover of Chronicles of Empire - Gathering:

View attachment 32278

Therefore this week I'll be swapping out the default avatar for the updated logo.
Boy, this startled me when I opened Chrons and saw it on one of my postings! Nice!

2DaveWixon

Shocked and Appalled!
Right, that's the minor changes to graphics made. If anyone's worried about putting the logo from my book cover at the top, remember it's no different from when I put the old logo originally intended for the cover. :)

IMO it all looks a little neater and the colours balance better.

However, as always, images can be tweaked, and no doubt I'll return to tinkering again at some point in the future. :D
Maybe you could have a gladius casually draped across the lower corner...? Or is that too militant?

2DaveWixon

Shocked and Appalled!
You know, having been on Chrons off and on all day, I think I have noticed something: this addition of color, it seems to me, has had the effect of bringing the "E" forward into my perception...
As has been mentioned already by @TheDusty Zebra, I never realized that there was an "E" in there, but with the color shift, I seem to see the "E" more clearly than the "C"...
Interesting! (Of no moment, but interesting...)

Gonk the Insane

A.J. Grimmelhaus
(yes, that's what the CE image stands for).
I'd guessed the C, but wondered about the E. Course, now it all makes sense:)

I really like the new logo and graphics changes, I think it gives the site a cleaner look. Within a day or two of the default avatar logo changing I did in fact finally change my own after using the default since I joined, but it's to celebrate my expedition north rather than disliking the new logo - the two just coincided.

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Um, Brian have you disabled "highlight and reply" function from the forum software? It hasn't worked for me for at least five days, but the feature functions in other forum sites that uses same application.

Cli-Fi

John J. Falco
i. Change of domain

Specifically, moving domain from "sffchronicles.com" to "chroniclesofempire.com".

As we've moved domain a number of times in the past:

chroniclesofempire.net > chronicles-network.net > chronicles-network.com > chronicles-network.co.uk > sffchronicles.co.uk > sffchronicles.com

then I can't see any future change of domain as presenting any particular problems.

However, there's little point making this change of domain now, but it is something I'll probably look at in a couple of years.
FYI, I do little tech projects like this all the time professionally and I don't think this is a good idea. As a newer member who wasn't around during the .net years and someone who will probably never have the time to read your book. It sounds way too inclusive. No new members welcome kinda of deal and it works against your book banner that seems to try and attract new members to the site. Chroniclesofempire sounds like just a 1990s book site and not even an author site. What new member is going to google science fiction writing forums and decide Chroniclesofempire is the way to go? Not me, and that's how I found this site. Whenever my clients want to think about doing stuff like this I always think about how the changes will look and how it will affect traffic from the outside world. I know you said things won't change inside, but potential new members won't know that. They just see the change, and move on. Then again, maybe getting any new members isn't your goal.

I know you are proud of your work, but taking things back to what it was in 2003 when you first started after it has already developed into something way more than it was seems counter-intuitive and stuck-up. I don't like chroniclesofempire.net any better than .com and all the other names that were used are way more generic and welcoming. So that's why you haven't had this problem of people finding you. However, if you go back, It's like if Facebook suddenly went back to Facemash. I suggest you buy the chroniclesofempire.com domain anyway and use it solely for book material, promotion, and universe building. If you even need it...

Last edited: