Authors Guild opens to new and unpublished writers

Probably a bit of both. The industry is reflecting the changes and see a chance to make money. I get the feeling that since so many people are eschewing traditional publishing companies there's a market opening up for the rest of the industry to provide a slew of other services and they're probably responding to that.

Probably a bit of both. The industry is reflecting the changes and see a chance to make money. I get the feeling that since so many people are eschewing traditional publishing companies there's a market opening up for the rest of the industry to provide a slew of other services and they're probably responding to that.

I agree. Whatever the motive, I think it's good news and a (positive) sign of changing times.

I agree. Whatever the motive, I think it's good news and a (positive) sign of changing times.
Sign of the changing times for sure. How much of it is positive or negative is hard to say at this point, but at the very least the solid door blocking new authors from publishing through "legitimate" channels is starting to crack.

I might sign up just for the Media Liability insurance. In my case, it may come in handy.

Plaintiff attorney: Your honor, he clearly besmirched the name of my client when he wrote that my client quote unquote 'deserved the chokeslam from Donald Duck'
Me: Objection! Leading the witness! I plead too incompetent to stand trial!
Judge: Overruled
Me: Screw this! I demand trial by combat!
Judge: Sit down and shut up.

Interesting to see, and to note that the Society of Authors in the UK also offer associate memberships to self-publishing writers. To graduate to full membership you need to sell a certain amount of units (a few hundred), which seems fair. So yes, it's good the industry are recognising changes.

Back