Battlestar Galactica Movie

It been talked about for years nothing has come out of it.

A shame. This could be an awesome shot in the arm for Space Opera movies.

Development hell . Where both promising and unpromising films projects go to die.

It would have been good. I paid to see the original (78) 2 hour movie when it was released into theaters a few months later with super sound. The newer BSG was better (until the dumpy ending) and would a great setting for movies.

Or they could dump the idea and start making Honor Harrington movies.

It would have been good. I paid to see the original (78) 2 hour movie when it was released into theaters a few months later with super sound. The newer BSG was better (until the dumpy ending) and would a great setting for movies.

Or they could dump the idea and start making Honor Harrington movies.

Of the 1978 series , I like the plot and the Living Legend part 1 and 2 the best. Everything else ws pretty mediocre. I like d the new series far better. The ending could have been abetter no question but overall it was a great series and I loved Richard Hatch as Tom Zarek . If I remember , he won acclaim for the role. :)Its too bad he's not longer with us. :(

Topping the 2004 series is tough. I am not the type of fan who prefers not having a new iteration of something I love, but I would be very skeptical about a new BSG. The Blood and Chrome was a good example why. That said, I would always give a chance to Ronald Moore to come up with something. I wasn't a huge fan of Caprica, though.

Topping the 2004 series is tough. I am not the type of fan who prefers not having a new iteration of something I love, but I would be very skeptical about a new BSG. The Blood and Chrome was a good example why. That said, I would always give a chance to Ronald Moore to come up with something. I wasn't a huge fan of Caprica, though.

Wish they had done Blood and Chone and skipped Caprica all together

With the movie idea stuck in development hell, what are the chances of a series of spin off books?

BSG worked because it combined a thoughtful take on post-human, machine intelligence with shooty space battles. The spin-offs failed because it split that approach in two: Caprica didn't have the action or tension of BSG and Blood & Chrome didn't have its thoughtfulness or intelligence.

If they made a movie about the rebooted Battlestar Galactica, I think that would be brilliant - as long as they made it brilliantly. If it is just done as a money machine, to milk the fan base and fails to do justice to the excellence of the TV series, personally I'd prefer them not to bother.

If they made a movie about the rebooted Battlestar Galactica, I think that would be brilliant - as long as they made it brilliantly. If it is just done as a money machine, to milk the fan base and fails to do justice to the excellence of the TV series, personally I'd prefer them not to bother.

I think this one has a chance. :)

until the dumpy ending
The ending could have been abetter no question

Each to their own, but the ending was outstanding, intelligent and to have done anything else would’ve been pedestrian. The reboot required its viewers to engage in themes and plots not usually within the purview of everyday SF. It introduced themes of God, fate, angels and choice, was timely inasmuch that it dealt with the definition of an enemy, and that both sides can be right. Starbuck’s disappearance was sublime and bittersweet - and those who complained about it, or rather didn’t ‘get’ it should’ve paid more attention to the themes throughout.

If you don’t like the ending, that’s down to taste, not some standard, arbitrary definition of what makes a good ending.

Blood & Chrome was OK, but it was as if no one had told what to do to the starring actor.

It’s a shame they didn’t use the actor who played young Adama in the Razor mini as he was uncannily like Edward James Olmos. The handsome English boy they got for Blood and Chrome was a poor choice. Looks over authenticity.

The spin-offs failed because it split that approach in two: Caprica didn't have the action or tension of BSG and Blood & Chrome didn't have its thoughtfulness or intelligence.

Caprica* is one of the most important (failed) SF series. I think the issue of gender is far more relevant to its failure than anything else. The last five minutes of season 2 show what an outstanding drama this would have been. The fact that the final five were on their way and we never got to see them was heartbreaking (if only it hadn’t been cancelled!!!)

Overall, I’d sum my own thoughts up with this: my friend, the senior philosophy lecturer at my old uni said years ago she thought BSG & Caprica should be compulsory viewing and on every philosophy syllabus. That’s really the effect it had on me. The representations of the human condition, what it is to be human, and the incredibly complex decisions involved that both parties had to make, were astonishing, and I think the somewhat earthbound attitude of ‘the ending wasn’t good’ is a great shame. I suspect that’s down to viewers wanting a mundane nuts and bolts ending. How could a prosaic ending do justice to the arc?

So that was all hopelessly OT and I apologise but I tend to get evangelical about BSG and esp Caprica. To get back on topic :eek: I would be 50/50 for this feature film.

I’d enjoy it I hope, but I can live without another right now.

pH
* I always marvel at people who say Caprica was no good. I know why they say it, and as I said above it’s because of a largely sexist-informed response (I said largely, not completely). Caprica received critical acclaim at the time, and on metacritic and IGN had around 75-80% rating. Don’t forget Farscape and Firefly were cancelled, too.

Most of all, don’t forget the Siph channel have form in relentless cancelling.

Last edited:

Back