Westworld

If the show has a central theme, it's "Trust Nothing." ;)

The biggest revelation probably is that Ford absolutely doesn't trust Maeve.

He didn't even tried to save her. Bernard was told to not go there and help her. I'll bet Ford fears her power. After all she broke the barriers and became his equivalent in the cyber realm. Can she use hosts to reach the Valley Beyond to get herself a new body?

UXN1FSu.jpg

I was surprised that Maeve saved herself. Ford certainly made a mistake when he didn't made sure that her body was destroyed while he was still in the house. But her resurrection speaks also about William transformation to the Man in Black and his invulnerability. Which leaves me question what did he really tried to achieve the invulnerability project prototype, when he's already living inside an android body?

Thing is William's ageing fits with him being a human, but riding through the wasteland to the Valley Beyond with six shots in guts makes him a host. Not just the devil in the play. Maybe that makes Dolores an Angel, and the Wrath of the Hosts a biblical tale. I'm not sure Nolan and Joy has woven in those things as their involvement only makes this play grandiose.

LHYRW7a.jpg

If you look closely metal, not bones at the end of those severed fingers. It makes me wonder about Ford as it makes him the host creator, the sole human who died to give the Hosts freedom and him eternal life as the Ghost in the Machine. Did he came up from the Valley Beyond to work on the invulnerability problem and William was his side project to keep the resources flowing as every life was captured and stored as soon as the person entered the park?

Did Ford simply knock him out, rip the needed info from William's data and install him into a custom body that made him the devil in the play? And when did it happen, because William made a child?

"The greatest trick Devil made was the one that made people to believe he wasn't real!"

Oh, the irony how that line has been turned around in Nolan's and Joy's play. Pure brilliance.

The system told Bernard and Dolores that there was original around 10200 souls and that they were on a trip to the new world. I know it's crazy to think that the Parks were created on top of a seedship, destined to some distant off-world.

It also told Bernard that it studied their code and that human only can do the best with their programming. If the trip to the stars take forever and the system transporting them is capable of keeping the stored humans alive in the special host bodies, it might just work in a way that allows to keep us from going crazy at the end. In similar way the system was working in the Matrix.

This is just a theory as the story can still work on Earth, but why they gave us the numbers. How does this story go forward?

The season final will mess with your mind. It's extra long and it starts many times. I'm not sure if I've understood anything, but it's a brilliant masterpiece nevertheless.

Actually, the way the 'season' ended could for all intents and purposes work as a series finale. William is repeating the same eternal hell of old man Delos, the now two Delores' reap havoc on mankind (hinting at in serial killer fashion) as Bernard simply for their sport tries to stop them. So you have Bernard vs. the Delores'... that's not much of a story left. IOW, eebda eebda eebda that's all folks!

Whether or not that's the case is to be seen.

K2

There is season 3. Don't know when that is going come out.

So they say... Although it does leave it nicely if it never comes to pass. In any case, out of all of the episodes to date, I felt the best acted/directed/written was the one focused upon the live(s) of the leader of the Ghost Nation, Akecheta.

"Kiksuya" S2:E8

K2

"Kiksuya" S2:E8

His story is nice and short. It fits the ending very well. I like the whole season even if it perplexed me with the mind-boggling things. I'm sure you can watch this several times and find new things in it. I wonder why they chose to make it Matrix like?

I wonder why they chose to make it Matrix like?

Well my guess would be, regarding the minds of the androids because it already is. If their minds and programming rests on a central server, by discarding the machine it makes them untouchable (as long as the server is intact).

That said, there is nothing saying that Delores' didn't take the host's personalities with her, and might ultimately either make new hosts/super-humans to live in the new world. Remember the whole point was a kinda-sorta "Brave New World" thing wherein human's minds would be transferred into host bodies insuring immortality.

Personally, I don't store anything on 'cloud' servers in that I'm just old school enough it feels like giving up control of what is mine to someone else. Someone who in fact can add/delete/alter it at their discretion, plus peer into my inner workings with ease.

Imagine if it's now your mind and personality? Not me brother!

K2

Holy circuit-breaker! Have they finally revealed the last layer of this android onion?
I've given up trying to understand it, but I'm looking forward to more in the next season.
None of the hosts will be gone forever as long as one host remembers him or her -- or as long as a Resurrection Ship remains within transmission range. :)

Reactions: ctg
It's all over, but in classic Westworld style the finale of season two still threw in a couple of major curve balls that'll have us all feverishly scouring the internet for fan theories until the start of the next season. After the final episode, we caught up with the show's co-creator and executive producer Lisa Joy who told us why Dolores deserves our love, how the show is actually much less complicated than everyone thinks, and what's really going on in that post-credit scene.
The Westworld season 2 finale explained by co-creator Lisa Joy | WIRED UK

I have read a few of these things from various authors. The one thing that unites them all is that WestWorld Season 2 is a confusing mess that boggles your mind and might send you to sleep before you finish it. It might need several binges before it really starts to open up. Lisa Joy's interview helps a little, but still I wonder why JJA's name was in that poster? What did he actually do for the WW?

I just watch s2e7 and 8.
8 was great about the Ghost Nation. I wasn't sure on the first 15 minutes as it seemed the story was being sidetracked. But the way the whole episode showed the importance of the maze symbol and how various hosts had been learning about an outside world was great. The more emotional stories in the show are the best part. It was engrossing. The Mexican who followed MiB realising some of what had been happening over the years was well done too.
The Dolores storyline in most of the 2nd season is not very good, though it does bring in the action. Some of the Bernard/Ford scenes are a bit abstract but that is often the way with AI stories.

The Dolores storyline in most of the 2nd season is not very good, though it does bring in the action.

Yeah. You might have to watch this season a couple of times as when you reach the final, things become really complicated. But if you think her as an angel of vengange, her role becomes clearer. It was really difficult to write about her, while in the background this move forward and the things becomes more abstract.

Some of the Bernard/Ford scenes are a bit abstract but that is often the way with AI stories.

Well, at least they didn't have to battle with souls. AI's and Augmented Reality are difficult to write because on the human level you cannot think like a machine. Nolan and Joy really pushed the envelope with this season.

Well I caught up and watched s2e9 and e10. 9 was more good stuff on the Man In Black. Actually despite its good reviews I thought the last episode was a bit of a mess. A fantastic series but I didn't really enjoy how it finished up completely. Though there is a lot to think about after.
It has been strongly hinted that William could be the host version of him. It had worked compared to Delos. But he had started twitching. I was surprised then that he was shown as survived out on the beach considering that. I thought maybe he would have been burnt when it was revealed to him that he hadn't fully passed the tests. So it seems the mind in the body is not really a way of living forever after all. That is just copies of the mind. It is this living in the server business that is the living forever.
Ford did well to remind Maeve that she could use the console to get help. Though perhaps she would have realised that anyway.
Also I wonder how the real William had died? Apparently without his business and daughter knowing.

The way the hosts, such as the Ghost Nation survivors, walked through the valley and that meant they were then copied on to the "permanent" server was quite abstract. And chiefly the way there were just loads of hosts milling about and being shot and fighting each other, was done in a way I didn't really care about. The emotional feeling of the previous few episodes was somewhat lost. But it seems some of our favourite characters will turn up again next series when recreated. Like Bernard was.

Reactions: ctg
Still need to watch season 2, recently finished tge first season.
The disjointed timeframes being used guve me hope that 'use of weapons' could potentially be adapted succesfully.

Finished watched series 2 last night. Flipping love Maeve. And loved Lee's heroics. Only one bit I didn't get and that's how matey ended up in the tent on the beach but then was there at that after credits bit.

I watched season 1 , but only got a few episodes into season 2 , stopped, not because it was bad, but because it felt like Tap-Dancing, wasn't clear to me they had a continuing story. The preview sure looks odd , maybe I will have to check it out.