Westworld

The official Westworld trolling video.

Last night during a Reddit AMA, Westworld co-showrunner Jonathan Nolan made a bold statement: in an attempt to stop spoilers from ruining fans enjoyment of the show’s upcoming second season, the creative team would release a video detailing the entire plot of the season to select fans. The video is here and... it’s not that.

Nolan’s original response alleged that such a video—detailing the twists and turns of the entire season—in the hands of a select few fans could lead in turn what fans of George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire books had done for the first five seasons of Game of Thrones, creating a small circle within Westworld fandom that would protect the larger community from being spoiled with the knowledge a select few would learn. It was all very dramatic, and plenty of discussions arose around Nolan’s belief in a detrimental link between fan theories and spoiler culture in general—but given that it was coming directly from Nolan himself, even if the idea sounded entirely bonkers, there was at least an assumption that maybe this plan could possibly be legit, and perhaps even leading to a shift in TV-watching culture.

That is, until a few hours after the AMA concluded when a mysterious YouTube channel under the name “SingingTraveller047” released a video purporting to be the alleged season two spoiler guide:
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-stars-of-westword-make-25-minute-long-spoiler-video-1825142103

JN51xuE.jpg

"The Question: Who You Are?" Well, it used to be just lies or the truth about who you really were for the humans, when they stepped into the WestWorld real simulation. To the hosts, nobody asked, because the computer programs couldn't understand the reality like we do or so we thought. We give inanimate objects names and think it will mean nothing, because they don't have a soul. But, it's those named things we drag through the passages of time and we often refer them having souls. Why?

I guess it's a mystery we'll never learn during the course of this series. The biggest shatter in the image first season created is seeing the WestWorld situated into an island. How did they manage to make canyons and all the other stuff? Is the whole island an artificial place?

There are still strange things, possibly unexplained things that never ever came into light at last season. If this isn't on Earth, then where it is and how come there are superior artificial beings, but no normal robots. Not even drones. Yet, everyone are talking about things as if they are all artificial.

What can you believe?

I wondered how those rebellious robots were going to get away with slaughtering the board of directors at the end of season one. I figured the humans could put an end to the whole experiment with a small nuke.
Turns out, the answer is money. Surprise!
Bernard isn't the only one who's scared by Dolores. She's become convinced of her superiority and the need to conquer the greater world.
Yikes! Humanity's greatest AI phobia realized.

NnbKVgV.jpg

Glorious episode.

The future doesn't look that much different from what we see today. It's all the same lights and glamour hiding the politics and money as it has become the norm during these few thousand years that we've lived as a high cultural society. The androids are as Asimov predicted are the culmination of everything we've ever learned and invented.

What I'm surprised is the illusion Dr Ford wrapped about Arnold's head when he made him to believe that he was alive even though he was just an electronic shephard guiding the electronic sheep, which at the end broke its programming and became one of the instruments to start the prohesized Android revolution. In the WestWorld everything just happened faster then in the Star Trek, because it'll took until end of Voyager for the AI revolution through doctor.

I'm not surprised that Nolan is heavily involved with another AI story as he was one that that created the glorious Person of Interest and set its heart to be an AI. To be honest, it's harder to write about the singular artificial mind then doing it with multiple iterations ie. the Hosts.

The problem that humanity faced is the old one as we believed that we'd created a perfect thing to solve the need to sin. If the humans had been kind and understanding for the machines their created maybe the AI wouldn't have ever reached the conclusion that breaking bad might be good. But then it wouldn't be a human story. The world we see in the WW wouldn't be a reflection from ours or even one that we'd be able to create in the near future.

I guess the lesson we have to learn is that anything we can imagine is possible and ultimately it is up to us if we turn things bad when we could have been so much better. It's not the hosts that are hosts, it's use hoasting them in our privilege, because at the end of the day we don't need them.

Not really. The history has shown that we can do without the ultra or the high technology just fine. But, it would really miserable if we didn't even try. Maybe this the most human story Nolan and companions have ever presented the great public. I certainly love it.

Big thumps up for Dolores making the robot zombies. They needed numbers and the maintenance centre was full of usable bodies. So why not use them?

v4JQpxZ.jpg

The biggest surprise to me is that these new immortals that Dolores presents so very well only repeats the same mistakes humans made in the past. Therefore, war never changes. Its nature is chaotic and at the end, when the hosts has finished with the humans they are doomed to repeat the same thing over and over until some event destroys them. So, I guess we're luckily that if we ever get into that position the world only hold finite amount of supplies for them.

What interest me could the break their programming so much that they could eventually shown to the intergalactic species an image of their creators and be prosperous? Would they believe the tale about their creators who were so stupid they couldn't see their own end? There is nothing glorious in that image.

It's interesting how a human character in the series looks and to some extent acts very much like the Yul Brynner renegade robot in the film, yet the leading renegade robots in the series are relatively delicate looking ladies. They really turned it around from what was a more stereotypical (though still good) movie.

Reactions: ctg
It was an excellent episode. The groundwork laid in season 1 allows a lot more action in season 2. Good points CTG.
A Bladerunner type theme is developing with at least two of the "robots" thinking and there being a rebellion which could spill out in to normal peoples lives. Dolores one time boyfriend says they will be the end of people. I struggle to see how if the Hosts escape they will be able to avoid being destroyed on the outside. Perhaps they can keep their existence quiet. Though the weapon prospect is interesting. And it is fascinating to see how this develops. I am presuming this show is not planned for a lot of seasons. Though it has at least 3.
It is still unclear what the other original programmer wanted by retaining the ability for robots to remember, and also why he wants the regular visitor to play a bigger "game". It seems he changed his mind about the park's purpose, and perhaps had some bitterness against humanity.

IrkjrCe.jpg

So the worlds created for our pleasure are stuck together, probably separetated with impassiable mountain ranges and large bodies of water. But, it makes the "worlds" even more intriguing places as in area you can have a total tropical paradise showing the glory of the height of British Empire - before the cocked it up by going to Afghanistan. Then at the other place, they can have snow and a clearly colder climate, which makes me to believe that in the WestWorld universe, the humanity has perfected the weather control technology.

It kind of makes sense because we are developing or even using technologies that terraform our planet to something more pleasant. Just look at China for example and you'll already see things that are removing toxic pollutants from the air and turn it to a breathable version. If the weather control would be perfect it would solve huge issues ravaging this planet. But it would also mean that in that point the humanity would have evolved to the next level that depicts stages of the civilisation as we would be able to utilise all energy in the planet, and possibly start to control the Sun.

But, we don't know if that is true in their universe. It could be just a figment of my imagination. Just like the dreams that the hosts used to dream, when they were under our programming. Since then so much has changed. Even Bernard is different, although he should have to most knowledge on what is really going on since he was the lead programmer. What I suspect is that at the moment the androids broke their programming that flaw spread to others through faulty server connection. Somewhere under those reservoirs, tabletop mountains, canyons and jungles has to be a room were normal stupid boxes are serving the needs of the automatons.

You could probably call it as the fail safe. The way to keep the human in the loop. But since the time has advanced and most of the technical personally has already spilled their blood, I don't anyone would be thinking it. At least not Bernard. To me it's kind of sad that he's doomed to walk on the face of the Earth, slowly losing his mind because he cannot understand the bigger picture. I'm not sure anyone we have seen so far have a greater knowledge about how things got so bad. I wouldn't even be surprised if at the end we'd find out that the whole Park was compromised and some third party nation-state or a corporate player are pulling the strings.

If the WestWorld case was a hack, it would be the greatest one anyone ever did. If it wasn't, and all the androids just got into same faulty state because Bernard or other lead programmers couldn't see the bug, I'd be feeling rather disappointed.

Additional musings on British woman finding a sawn-off shotgun in the tent, the horned head laying in the snow, the nitro-trap under the forth and the ninja at the end. Man, this series shows so truly unexpected scenes. Still it's a good one.

Ficgnjp.jpg

The craziest thing to think about the WestWorld revolution is that how the humans wants to be like the hosts and life forever, while the robots want to do the reverse and actually die, when you're supposed to go.

The death in their world is a funny subject. You cannot escape it if you're a human but as the immortality has been an ages old question to the humanity, I would have done the same as what the investor did when he switched bodies and got rid of his cancer by uploading himself into the host body. I don't know how they did and I hope Nolan leaves it as a mystery, because knowing would be spoiling the whole thing. But I guess the biggest and most important thing is Ford wasn't the first, when he decided to replicate his partner.

But, the thing is the programs are usually cyclical in the nature, so if you'd choose to upload a person into the host body they would be doomed to repeat the program, even if all the constrains were deleted. Who really know how many times Bernard has been rebooted? I don't, but to me it's clear that it has been more then once. Somehow he even retained memories in his core memory between the boots. Is it because the host brains are similarly organic to ours and the memories are actually chemically bonded to the hosts artificial organs?

If so, the hosts are the human 2.0 mode,ls and if they would really be masters of their own destiny, they would probably modify the white bodies a bit more and make the hosts more efficient. Just think about it. You could upload your soul inside the machine, lock it in a storage container inside a space-ship and then wake up however long it would have taken you to cross the vast distances to find another world.

Maybe, if you look at the WestWorld it's actually a Matrix simulator and the humans just don't talk about that they're all living a huge vessel that is crossing the space. The WestWorld is therefore is an RnR centre for the vary travellers instead of being situated in our planet. If you listen the investor interviews with headphones on, you will hear the hum of air conditioner as if they are really inside a great machine. The biggest problem I have with believing in that theory is the horizon and if the great machine theory would true then the machine would really great in size and the humanity far more advanced then what we'll see in the series.

T3msIPS.jpg

I think the big riddle is: whose code was the first, human or the host? But, if we were on this great journey wouldn't we try to do the same to be there, when we finally reach the destination or the biblical cataclysm ending everything?

Excellent! Not so many posting about it here but based on quality it is one of the great series. The first season was good but a tad slow, but season 2 is so enthralling.
Lots of great background info and surprises in s2 episode 4.

So does Bernard definitely have the creator's mind? Or just the appearance and he was told what to do? The stuff with the investor being repeatedly brought back was great.
Also interesting to see how that nice young man got corrupted with age too to the gunslinger we see now.

The stuff with the investor being repeatedly brought back was great.

I think there's more to it. I believe that Ford might have actually known the project and he used Bernard to shut it down without ever giving help to the Man in Black. There has to be more to the human code than what we saw in this episode. Immortality wasn't the thing for Dr Ford, he opted out from that business.

Hmm so was the Man in Black organising the experiments so that it could eventually be done for himself? He did mention maybe neither of them should be able to live forever. Yes Bernard following Ford, or Arnold's, orders seems likely. Bernard says he is thinking for himself now, but it seems he is still being directed. Thinking back though his hand shaking is rather similar to the other human/robot experiment. Perhaps a coincidence.
Having the Man in Black's daughter show up was an interesting twist. Someone for him to worry about now.

NqsD3Xz.jpg

It's amazing to think that nobody really thinks about closing the park down even though there has been a mass murder. The disaster is not a disaster as there is apparently so much money involved in this project that instead of shutting things down the investors cannot think about closing but rather salvaging the whole thing.

Maybe the WestWorld really isn't open for everyone, but rather just those who can cover the expenses without batting an eyelid. But then you get the other worlds like the Shogun one, which like the British Colonial one are unique places. If the WestWorld is really on Earth then how did they managed to build these extraordinary places and make their climates differ from each other.

More I think about where the WestWorld might be more puzzled I become about how far into our future this series is based, because I cannot find any places on Earth that would include a glacier covered Volcano, tabletop mountains and a tropical jungle around same coordinates. It would be easier to believe things were on Earth if they took trips to outside these 'host' colonies, but I cannot comprehend how can one be able control the climate and make geographic locations to be in the same place if they weren't all manufactured.

What is also interesting is that the Shogun World was build for those who thought WestWorld were too tame for them. I wonder who would pay for a pleasure of being able to chop off body parts and have harder time surviving than in the original park. Although a chance to see Musashi 'alive' in the hight of the Edo period must allure some people. It's just I wouldn't personally like to raise blades against the famous master, who developed the dual wielding tactics and basically beat all dojo masters in the challenges. People would pay money for that but probably not for getting their bits chopped clean off. But being a tourist, maybe not, as Japanese are famously not warming towards the strangers in their land, in the Edo period even more so.

So, I guess the visitors can actually thank the coders as different races doesn't made the Japanese Hosts to go totally bonkers. Talking about the bonkers, I thought the cortical fluid mess is a like a disease for the the hosts, as not only in threw Bernard into an epilepsy fit, it also drove the Shogun go off the normal program. Maybe the robot revolution has been going for sometime instead of it all being originating from Ford's plan.

It's too bad that we don't know if Ford also worked on the other parks or if the WestWorld was his laboratory for the immortality, and the other parks copied his inventions. Knowing humans I'd say that all the developers were same for all of the hosts, instead of believing that the Shogun World had their own set of people.

If the cortical fluid hypothesis is correct then the hosts might not last much longer than us even though their physical structure is more stronger. Sure they can take hits and blows unlike their human counterparts but eventually what will happen, when the mechanical things breaks. There is nothing in our world that lasts forever. Just look at the Great Pyramid as an example and you'll see that over the thousands, if not tens of thousands of years as some theories claim, things erode. The time is hosts worst enemy. Time will kill them, even if they could get rid of their creators, the humans. Unlike us they cannot reproduce without Ford's machines.

I guess the only thing that could save the hosts from the time if they learned how to make bodies or how to fix the damages.

8NTQ1Ro.jpg

Shogun standing with half of his head sawn off. How is that possible even for the Hosts?

I just caught up on the new season. I'm all for thought-provoking entertainment, but in the immortal words of Mr. Gumby, "my brain hurts!"
If Delos knew of the ambitions of the self-aware androids, the corporate bigwigs would abandon all efforts to salvage anything from the investment, including the data base, and bomb the park to oblivion. It's disappointing that the singularity may turn out to be no more than wishful human thinking. It's equally disappointing that the successors to Humanity may not be an improvement.

It's disappointing that the singularity may turn out to be no more than wishful human thinking. It's equally disappointing that the successors to Humanity may not be an improvement.

I agree you on the improvement part but not with the technological singularity. We are moving towards it and I don't think there's any chance of avoiding it, if we want to become a multi-planet species. Technology is our blessing and a curse. Without it we are not much at all, and with it we are one species that is capable of wrecking nature off its balance. The Hosts need to learn to produce more of them if they're going to survive after their revenge. They also need to learn from our mistakes, if they want to become the suggessor and not the last act of humanity.

I agree you on the improvement part but not with the technological singularity. We are moving towards it and I don't think there's any chance of avoiding it, if we want to become a multi-planet species. Technology is our blessing and a curse. Without it we are not much at all, and with it we are one species that is capable of wrecking nature off its balance. The Hosts need to learn to produce more of them if they're going to survive after their revenge. They also need to learn from our mistakes, if they want to become the suggessor and not the last act of humanity.

The long string of failures (149 "builds"?) to merge James Delos' mind with a disease-free host body does not bode well for achieving the singularity. The attempts reminded me of the RoboCop candidates who immediately became insane when they awakened in robotic bodies.
William did state that the issue could eventually be cracked. He may have abandoned he experiment when it became clear that his own life would be over before they met success.

Another very good episode. This series is perhaps the highest quality production of all time for TV series. You could argue for Game of Thrones.
The story for the Japanese theme was very familiar. But that is part of the point as the script for the hosts is written by someone doing many scripts. Though the hosts clearly deviate based on their "emotions". The theme was definitely entertaining.
Dolores showed moments of a nice side, but it was just a show. Now altering her companion's character. She has become a brutal leader, perhaps no more deserving to lead than those who created her. A tyrant.

Meanwhile Maeve shows a good objective but orders others of her kind to be brutal and also suicidal. I suppose her "boyfriend" will not be catching up to her. Her control is getting rather extreme, and maybe is getting silly. But perhaps it is another part of Arnold or Ford's plan.

The host's have apparently learnt awful behavior from their creators. It is related to what they have seen during their existence as hosts.

5RVLHWr.jpg

The madness that Ford unleshed on the Park system wasn't completely miscalculated move. It was a brilliantly calculated ruthless move that has made the mortal to believe in chaos, and the Hosts to order through immortality. When the cradle system responded differently then it was supposed to I started to think that there must be a ghost or a hacker in the system, but not in the million years could have seen that Ford perfected the human code and hid it inside the whole thing.

Seeing his face as the piano player opened the whole thing in the ruse and placed Anthony Hopkin's back in the world of psychopaths, he so brilliantly plays. And all this time the key to open whole maze was inside Bernard, Ford's long lost lover.

The problem I have is what is Ford's ultimate plan? I questioning, the whole annihilation angle, because the hosts reproduction problem. In his brilliant plan that has demolished one rescue effort after another, the end cannot be it, because if he would have wanted to do that why to give Hosts a freedom to do whatever they please?

Does Ford want to wipe the slate clean from the living human people, before he sees it's time to download into a host body and live again in the real world? Why to keep his daughter alive if everyone else can go? And why to live in the virtual world and not in the hub that sees the real world?

By the way I loved every minute of Musashi action. It was awesome.