DISCUSSION THREAD -- October 2016 75-word Writing Challenge

We all need more jewels, gold nuggets and other precious metals and things that sparkle....

I just posted. An idea rushed into my mind, just before I fell asleep last night. Then I hacked at it with an ax today, it broke in two. So I chose the right side version, rather than the left side version.

It was almost a coin toss. I like both story versions, based on the theme.

@johnnyjet Thanks for keeping me weird.

No problem. Of course, not that I had to try real hard, @Starbeast...

images

Heh heh. Thanks bro.​

Hey everybody. Get over to the anonymous 100 tie breaker and help us decide this thing. The tension is killing me! ;)

The Dryness of My Bosom, @Ashleyne. B. Watts – A hauntingly-dark insight into the life of an alien creature and its struggle to survive the predations of its desperate offspring.

Dry, @Perpetual Man – The alarming tale of an astronaut whose extensive, expensive genetic modifications are not extensive enough to survive the unforgiving deserts of Mars.

The Hero’s Hero and the Sphinx, @Elventine – This whimsical rhyme details a hero’s efforts to beat a Sphinx’s cryptic test. Their answer is unexpected but, as the Sphinx is forced to admit, undeniably accurate.

The Wine Ran Dry, @Mith – A dangerous amazon warrior has her own method for dealing with long queues at the bar. Alas, despite her efforts, her quest for libation is in vain.

It’s the way I tell ‘em! @Luiglin – The hapless Ham, jester to The Dark Lord, attempts to broaden his master’s palate with a little deadpan humour. Tough crowd.

@Shyrka Thanks for the lovely review! I am planning on doing all of the 75's when they are all posted. The last time I kinda forgot which ones I had don and which I hadn't! Don't want to leave anyone out!

@Cathbad Nope sorry! I went back and checked... It is the official logo (but in colour cause I like colour) of the second Riyria Revelations novel Avempartha. :LOL:

Wruter -- This sober account of the aftermath of battle reminds the reader where the paths of glory lead.

AmberEyes -- The emotional coldness that often accompanies the lust for revenge is aptly shown in this grim tale.

reiver33 -- This eerie science fiction story vividly portrays the unknown dangers that await explorers.

Calliopenjo -- This open-ended vision of apocalypse can be read as commentary on current threats to the environment.

Shyrka -- The author convincingly portrays a new form of addiction in this subtle tale.

Cory Swanson -- With sly wit, this story sharply depicts the power of desire in desperate circumstances.

Starbeast -- This knockabout comedy spoof mixes multiple elements from the literature of the fantastic.

ErikB -- The way in which words can lead to misunderstandings is the them of this clever tale.

Droflet -- The author movingly portrays the emotion of loss in this somber eulogy.

VinceK --- This lighthearted story supplies the reader with multiple levels of irony.

@Shyrka Thanks for the lovely review! I am planning on doing all of the 75's when they are all posted. The last time I kinda forgot which ones I had don and which I hadn't! Don't want to leave anyone out!

You're very welcome. I normally keep a doc open of all the reviews I've done so I can keep track. I tend to write one review every so often, when I get some down time at work - I don't have the time to go through them all at the end!

You're very welcome. I normally keep a doc open of all the reviews I've done so I can keep track. I tend to write one review every so often, when I get some down time at work - I don't have the time to go through them all at the end!

That sounds like a great plan and one I am going to "borrow"! lol

Well, there's me. I wanted to say, johnnyjet, that I really love your choices this month...so many possibilities for stories! Looking forward to reading all the other entries. Good luck all, with your stories, CC

@Cathbad .... that was one humorous "romp." :D

It also seems to me that we seem to have a "drinking" problem as a whole. More Dry Martinis than in a 3 Martini lunch. :p

The Ocean, @Victoria Silverwolf – In the aftermath of an apocalyptic war, strange entities emerge from the shadows to teach our Martian descendants of what they have lost.

No Solemn Quest, @Wruter – Many stories deal with the heroics of conflict but this tale focuses on the consequences of grand quests and the grief – however short-lived – of the survivors.
@AmberEyes – In a parched land, a young woman survives the death of her community but refuses to shed tears for her loss - crying will only delay her revenge.

Spoilers, @reiver33 – In the depths of an abandoned spacecraft, two explorers discover the gruesome fate of the former crew, a fate that it seems they themselves will share…

The Endless Rain, @Calliopenjo – A bleak vision of a world where unceasing rainfall threatens to overwhelm the bedraggled populace.

Back