DISCUSSION -- October 2016 300-word Writing Challenge (#23)

I didn't want to lose my 100% record in the 300s, but didn't have any real inspiration despite the wonderful image, plus I wanted to write something to cheer me up, so I thought I'd pay a return visit to Merlyn's Mage School and the Daws this quarter.

As before I've ventured into fontmanship so if everything is coming out in boring fonts, you need new ones on your devices.

Also as before, since we often lament the lack of puzzles in the Challenges, I've hidden the names of birds in the story -- some the same as last time, some new, one that has to be teased out, and one that will be impossible to find. Virtual prizes of cake for those who get the most names.

I'm sorry to say we've had to disqualify an entry for being over word-count. It's probably worth reminding people (even though it might not have been the cause in this case) that it's dangerous to rely on software for word-count duties unless you're absolutely sure what rules it applies, and even then it's unwise if your entry is close to the limit.

Commiserations, whoever it was.

I'm in. Panicked a bit over the 300 this month. Had a good story up until late last week then realised it didn't meet the genre criteria. Tried writing a new one but I couldn't get the old one out of my head. Struggled and struggled until I finally managed it this afternoon.

My goodness, I've only gone and found something in the corner of my brain. I looked at the angry hombre in the house about three weeks ago, and realised I had nada for this challenge. Then I took another look at him this afternoon, not realising there was still a few hours left in the pot, and this time he said something to me!

Now to try and crack The Judge's eggstravagant feather-brained ornithological puzzle.

I put something up. a certain song was playing on the radio, and it sparked something.

But at least TJ didn't decide to swan off without writing an entry....

Anyway, there's still over an hour to get new entries in.

Ok, Here's what I've got for the birds. What I've got is for the birds? Hmm.

Hummingbird
Swift
Martin
Eagle
Erne
Booby
Lark
Robin (no way I miss that one)
Jackdaw
Bittern
Tern
Jynx Torquilla (which appears to be all one?)
Qua
Godwit
Garganey
Phalarope
Deer
Daemon (which seems to be something to do with an internet thing called BIRD)
Picnic
Knot
Dotterel
Mouse
Rail
and the ominous bird of Yore.

Aargh my story succumbed to the old erroneous Microsoft word count (and my lack of a personal check). I only went and foolishly linked words with ... without gaps inbetween. A lot of excellent stories this month though.

Aargh my story succumbed to the old erroneous Microsoft word count (and my lack of a personal check). I only went and foolishly linked words with ... without gaps inbetween. A lot of excellent stories this month though.

Commiserations, Judderman.

Mr Orange -- This rollicking poem manages to be both whimsical and frightening, like the best of children's literature.

The Judge -- With playful skill the author creates a lighthearted fantasy that reminds the reader of youthful hijinks.

mosaix -- This intense psychological portrait shows us the darkness that can lurk within the most ordinary circumstances.

Mad Alice -- The combination of innocence and great power leads to remarkable consequences in this imaginative tale.

TheDustyZebra -- With great verisimilitude the portrays the inevitable disadvantages of what would seem to be an enviable situation.

DG Jones -- This surrealistic romp uses a structure which folds into itself, well fitting its theme of the mystery of identity.

Ursa major -- The mysterious predicament which the narrator faces intrigues the reader of this unique story.

________________________________________________________________________________

My votes went to:

"Timeline" by Droflet for its clever plot and its structure which reflected the theme.

"Warning Sign" by Wruter for its psychological insight and its subtle implications.

"The House Where Infinity Dwells" by Perpetual Man for its evocative depiction of memory and its expansive vision.

Last edited:
In the words of Doctor Smith, "Oh, the pain, the pain," of choosing only three entries. So anyhoo:
Honorable Mentions: Beasty, Erik, CC, Cathbad, Victoria, Shyrka, Her Honor, Mosaix, Dusty and Little Star.
Well done to everyone.
And the gold goes to Luiglin, HazelRah and Mr O. Wonderful writing all round.

Holy cow. Two votes? The world has gone mad. Many, many thanks to Judderman and Victoria.

My Favorites:

Starbeast: Monster of Frankenstein in "Speak No Evil"
Droflet: Timeline
johnnyjet: Interview with the Gatekeeper
LittleStar: A Warrior’s Burden

But I voted For:

The Judge: More Letters from Merlyn’s Mage School
Mr. Orange: The Shaggimulloo
Ajid: I could only travel the one road

I just wanted to say the photo was a great inspiration. The woman's face faintly reflected in the glass (with a little imagination I see her image) above the man in the picture was too good to pass up. Kudos on the wonderful photo! A truly inspiring shot.

The stories were fabulous. So many talented creative minds on this site. Hard to pick just three.

It was so difficult culling this challenge; Colette Halstead's photo inspired a really fun challenge. But here are my lists:

Shortlist:
Starbeast, Cory Swanson, Wruter, Ajid, Luiglin, Coast, farntfar, LittleStar, Robert Mackay, Mr. Orange, Mad Alice, TDZ (sorry, that's not short at all!).

Votes:
Victoria: So well written; a fun read with a nice vintage SF feel to it.
HazelRah: A really clever, moving story. I knew this would have my vote from the first reading.
The Judge: Ah, what a fun piece! Hopefully we'll encounter Merlyn’s Mage School again, someday.

Good luck in the voting, all!

Back