Abednego [596 words]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sozme

Experimenting with a new beginning here. I thought by using historical quotes from the world, it allowed me to define what the SCAR actually are (relieving me of the burden to interject such exposition into the early stages of the first chapter) and make them seem more interesting. I also think it serves as a promise to the reader that the book is about morally questionable super soldier mercenaries who get into some crazy adventures, and a promise that the world of the story is very deep and expansive.

BTW I am definitely still working on the quotes themselves.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The Syndicate of Cytogenetically-Augmented Rangers (SCAR) are a group of murderers, cutthroats, rapists, and savages who inveigled their way out of death row […] They took these evil-doers and re-manufactured them into superhuman mercenaries. That human governments hire them to prosecute warfare, protect their Aionium mines, combat “piracy”, or to do anything other than rape and pillage vulnerable populations is a sham of the highest order. The only bigger vermin than the SCAR mutants are the politicos who enrich and legitimize them.”

Grand Magistrate Gerrosh Hightower
Editorial - Annals of the Capital City Law Society (Volume 432, Issue 13)
Armistead 12, 378 I.E.

“The Aionium Wars again proved that the SCAR Contingents are nothing less than humanity’s most honorable and courageous warriors. With this treaty, the Union of Terran Colonies renews our partnership with the Syndicate, both for the safety and the prosperity of our worlds for centuries to come.”

Chancellor Augustus Octavius Von Roen, K.W.M.
Remarks - Arcturus-Reach National War Memorial
Evacuation (Remembrance) Day - Kellen 1, 394 I.E.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 1 - Cannon
Kellen 32, 434 I.E. (Present Day)

Chief Ranger Driscoll Cannon of SCAR-Helix strode out of the dropship onto a beach of purple sand. The air on Juno was hot and heavy on his skin, the scent of iodine-filled ocean bitter in his nostrils. Overhead, flickers of lightning illuminated chopper-sized avians circling a blood orange sky.

“How many dead?” Cannon said, turning to the other two Rangers.

Klein, a green-skinned Icarian man, gave his superior an annoyed look. “Twenty-nine dead, three alive,” he said. “Same as two minutes ago.”

Cannon glanced up the beach at the ruined starship. The freight-carrier lay half-buried in muck on the embankment, its corroded hull gleaming in the lights of a dozen Juno Defense Authority air-vans.

“Forty-four got on that ship at Nanabougha,” Cannon said. “That’s twelve missing, unless they were thrown out an airlock before planetfall.”

“Which they probably were,” Klein said.

Cannon frowned at the green man. “Any survivors could’ve already strolled off the ship with antimatter.”

“They ain't got no bombs, Boss,” an exasperated Klein replied. “JDA has been all over it since it crashed. Their scanners combed it completely — no residues, no powders, nothing. No bombs.”

“Nothing, huh?”

“They had their bomb squad all over it,” Klein said. “They think the antimatter bells are being shipped separately.”

They let Waykeepers crash-land in plain sight of an Aionium mine,” Cannon said. “I don’t trust their judgment.”

“That mine keeps their citizens from starving,” Klein said. “They’re ain’t gunna let nothing happen to it.”

“They don’t know their ass from a ****ing hole in the ground,” Cannon snapped. He didn’t become the most profitable Contingent Chief by relying on the local authorities. He turned to the third man of their trio. “How’s my security?”

The black-skinned Ranger looked up from the holographic display on his wrist. “Our three guys plus a thousand Espatiers in and around the mine,” Rix said. “No Icarians with anti-matter vests.”

Not yet, Cannon thought, glancing over his shoulder across the inlet. Long Dock Mine stood in a hallowed-out cliff face some half-dozen kilometers away. Atop the rock, the outline of an enormous excavator machine was visible, its shovel-arm hanging over the entrance like a priest’s blessing hand.

“Good,” he said. “All it takes is one asshole with an anti-matter bell to ignite that—”

“—that mine and everything else for a thousand miles,” Rix said, nodding. “Yeah, Chief. We got it.”

“Really, we do,” Klein added from his opposite shoulder.

Hi there!

My main thought is this:

You use the quotes in the preface there to illustrate, with a nice bit of juxtaposition of the two, that the SCAR marines are incredibly badass and morally questionable. I think it would be better then to show them being really badass/evil, rather than just introducing us via a conversation. I also thought you introduced quite a lot of concepts in this first 600 words without really explaining what any of them really were (Waykeepers, Icarians, antimatter bells, the JDA Aionium, Espatiers). Would it be better to introduce these a bit more slowly? It took me a few reads of this to figure out what was really going on.

That said, I think it's nicely written, and I love the title 'Contingent Chief'. Look forward to seeing a bit more.

Well written and well paced. There are a few things that are mentioned but not explained, but I didn't think they got in the way of the story. It is better to explain them farther ahead, lest unwanted infodumps rear their head at the very beginning. The quotes are a nice touch to avoid infodumps while world-building. So far so good.

Not bad - not bad at all. I have a few minor stylistic quibbles:

1. At the moment there appears to be little to distinguish between the green secondary character and the black one. Is it worth merging them into a single figure? If not, it may be worth showing some impression of how each is different - perhaps one is brusque, the other quietly spoken, etc.

2. The italicised quotes at the beginning follows a style sometimes use in modern SF. However, together (including the chapter heading and date) they take up nearly 200 words. IMO you would benefit from cutting this down significantly. Be concise, and ask whether we need such long attributions, and as the dates will be meaningless to the reader and add nothing but confusion, are they really going to be so necessary to the narrative at this stage?

3. A slightly off-base quibble here, equally applicable to a load of SF I see - there's nothing in this character experience that says the reader is in an unfamiliar space-based environment. Give us one basic detail about getting used to it, and you'll make it more real for the reader. Surely every planet isn't just like earth but with different colours and creatures? :)

I dig the visual you put forward, but there are some tense issues toward the end of the excerpt.

This might be nitpicky, or not even valid, but are they breathing oxygen? I know they're mutated in some way or another, but since they aren't on Earth, I was curious.

I don't really mind the dates in the italicised bits that Brian mentioned. I do agree, however, that they could be a fair bit shorter, at least the one that portrays them as evil. You could even differentiate the quotes a bit by giving the quote defending it a politician's vibe and the quote degrading them a more 'man of the people'-vibe, if that makes sense. It would set the tone, and probably grab the attention a bit more.

Description-wise, I personally don't really need more differentiation. You do it well. The current descriptions placed me in a world like James Cameron's film Avatar. However, I feel like it would add more to it. It could all be just a tad more... powerful. The chopper-sized avians are a good start, but I would probably enjoy it if Cannon had some sort of response to them. It would place the reader more firmly in that world themselves, rather than being a distant spectator.

I don't really mind the dates in the italicised bits that Brian mentioned. I do agree, however, that they could be a fair bit shorter, at least the one that portrays them as evil. You could even differentiate the quotes a bit by giving the quote defending it a politician's vibe and the quote degrading them a more 'man of the people'-vibe, if that makes sense. It would set the tone, and probably grab the attention a bit more.

Description-wise, I personally don't really need more differentiation. You do it well. The current descriptions placed me in a world like James Cameron's film Avatar. However, I feel like it would add more to it. It could all be just a tad more... powerful. The chopper-sized avians are a good start, but I would probably enjoy it if Cannon had some sort of response to them. It would place the reader more firmly in that world themselves, rather than being a distant spectator.
Within the next 50 words, one of the birds gets eaten by a tree.
Cannon doesn't react to it because he is focused on the task at hand, and because he is used to be on the planet in question/doesn't phase him at all. In other words, its normal.
I thought no reaction was more useful to illustrate how strange the world was:

“Really, we do,” Klein added from his opposite shoulder.
The group tracked up the embankment, passing under towering trees resembling large mushrooms. One of the massive alien birds dove nearby, presumably for some prey lurking in the bubbling soup behind them. Just before it reached eye-level, one of the mushroom trees snapped erect, seizing the creature out of the sky with clam-shaped jaws.
“I hate this place,” Rix said, his face screwed-up in disgust as the tree noisily devoured the creature.​

Not bad - not bad at all. I have a few minor stylistic quibbles:

1. At the moment there appears to be little to distinguish between the green secondary character and the black one. Is it worth merging them into a single figure? If not, it may be worth showing some impression of how each is different - perhaps one is brusque, the other quietly spoken, etc.
Maybe I can just make him regular-looking.
I wanted to introduce the idea that there are divergent types of humans, and one of them looks green.
Maybe too much to try to introduce at the beginning.

2. The italicised quotes at the beginning follows a style sometimes use in modern SF. However, together (including the chapter heading and date) they take up nearly 200 words. IMO you would benefit from cutting this down significantly. Be concise, and ask whether we need such long attributions, and as the dates will be meaningless to the reader and add nothing but confusion, are they really going to be so necessary to the narrative at this stage?
The Front Matter is set to contain a timeline of important events in the pre-story universe.

Does that change your opinion at all?
Also, I thought the dates would add more of an exotic touch and contribute the promise I am making that this is essentially an epic fantasy-sized tale that happens to take place in space.

Definitely welcome any criticism/thoughts as far as that goes.

You could even differentiate the quotes a bit by giving the quote defending it a politician's vibe and the quote degrading them a more 'man of the people'-vibe, if that makes sense.
It does make sense... I'll have to think on that a little.

As I said, they are minor stylistic quibbles I raised - which basically means I would do things one way, but can appreciate someone might do things differently, without taking from the story. :)

I think this is much better and starts the story well. Maybe the two quotes could be slightly toned down to make them disagree less violently, but that's very much up to you and I can see what you're trying to do there. Cannon sounds much more competent than before.

The main thing that struck me was the logic of the thing. I realise that the first quote is probably an exaggeration but, if it's at least partly true: firstly, why recruit from mankind's least trustworthy members when there are plenty of loyal soldiers who'd probably volunteer and would be much better fighters? Secondly, is "mercenaries" the right word? If you were going to do this with a bunch of unstable criminals, wouldn't you at least put them in some kind of penal legion, probably with exploding collars or the equivalent? I suppose you could brainwash them somehow, but you might as well make robots then. I don't know if this is explained later, but as it is I was puzzled.

Other than a few pretty nit-picky things that pulled me up, I like this latest version. I think the addition of the quotes is a good idea, and it did add a depth to the universe for me. Also Cannon is certainly more likeable now.

The things that pulled me up were:

The freight-carrier lay half-buried in muck on the embankment, its corroded hull gleaming in the lights of a dozen Juno Defense Authority air-vans.
Gleaming makes me think 'shiny' and corroded makes me think 'not shiny'.

“Forty-four got on that ship at Nanabougha,” Cannon said. “That’s twelve missing, unless they were thrown out an airlock before planetfall.”

“Which they probably were,” Klein said.
I wasn't sure here whether they were thrown out during the crash landing, or thrown out by their comrades for some reason. Maybe as simple as 'airlock during planetfall'.

Long Dock Mine stood in a hallowed-out cliff face some half-dozen kilometers away. Atop the rock, the outline of an enormous excavator machine was visible, its shovel-arm hanging over the entrance like a priest’s blessing hand.
I thought 'hallowed' should be 'hollowed', but then the reference to a priests hand made me uncertain.

The group tracked up the embankment, passing under towering trees resembling large mushrooms. One of the massive alien birds dove nearby, presumably for some prey lurking in the bubbling soup behind them. Just before it reached eye-level, one of the mushroom trees snapped erect, seizing the creature out of the sky with clam-shaped jaws.
“I hate this place,” Rix said, his face screwed-up in disgust as the tree noisily devoured the creature.
Giant swooping birds and the trees that eat them strikes me as something Cannon would see as a threat. I thought you could use this to show his character a bit stronger, with the way he reacts to it. Maybe he shoots it out of the sky nonchalantly while the locals look on dumbfounded or something. You've got a pretty cool visual, so I think you could take advantage of it more.

Anyway like I said, only a few small things, and obviously just my take on it.

This has come one hell of a way since the first bit you put up. Kudos.

I like the beginning quotes.

One stylistic point - try avoiding having 'he said' all the time. If the speakers aren't changing, there's no need for dialogue tags at all. Also, consider using action tags. Example:

“They had their bomb squad all over it.” Klein gestured at the ship. “They think the antimatter bells are being shipped separately.”

Cannon stopped his pacing and stared at him. “They let Waykeepers crash-land in plain sight of an Aionium mine,” he spat. “I don’t trust their judgment.”

“That mine keeps their citizens from starving. They’re ain’t gunna let nothing happen to it.” Klein shrugged, as if that settled everything, or might magically teleport him away from this mess.

You avoid boring your reader with all the 'he said', and you can use their actions to give him us greater detail about their characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back