Opening passage: Immortelle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Swanton

Loving the view from up here.
Supporter
Here is the first part of Chap 1 of my hard SF novel Immortelle. This is a cleaned-up version, version A consisting of a lot of info dump that, well, got dumped.

We were four months out when they told us.

It’s funny how one remembers exactly where he was and what he was doing when really bad news arrives. I can recall it like yesterday. I had left the crew in the Wardroom and was sitting in my recliner in the Rec room eating a plate of rehydrated asparagus. Domingo and Deiter had started arguing about religion again and after telling everyone that watching cartoons was likely to be more constructive I baled out. It wasn't like I was trying to make a point as mission commander or anything. Cloe and Tessa enjoyed the debates but I just wasn't comfortable discussing the topic. After four months in a ship the size of a two storey apartment the secret of getting along with one's fellow crewmembers is to not try too hard.

I had put Wall-E up on the screen but wasn't paying much attention to it, preferring to listen to the play between Dieter's scepticism and Domingo's uncertain earnestness that filtered through the doorway from the other side of the ship.

“Good. So you say you can't prove there is a God. Ja? Then why spoil your life for something that is a maybe?”

“I'm not spoiling my life. I'm here, on the first mission to Mars. If that's a spoiled life then your life is spoiled too.”

“Ja ja ja. I mean, there is so much you can't do, ? You walk down the street, you see a pretty girl, you want to get to know her better, but...the big man up there, he says no.”

Tessa's voice butted in. “He doesn't say no. I say no. He'd better not think of looking at anyone else while I've got a ring on my finger.”

“Wouldn't dream of it, Tess, the ring cost a packet. Ow!”

“I've got him for life, so don't try to corrupt him.”

“Oh ja, another thing you can't do. Till death do you part. What a shame.”

“Don't listen to him.” That was Cloe's voice. “He doesn't mean it. I am married to him for ten years. He is—how you say it—a stick-in-the-mud husband. He will never leave me, not if I beg him.”

A brief silence, then: “Ja, right. I keep what I know is good, but you will give up something for something else that you do not even know exists.”

“I said I can't prove it, that doesn't mean I don't know...”

A musical dong dong sounded through the ship, the signal for an incoming communication from NASA. I balanced my plate on my knee and grabbed the remote to kill the movie. One by one the crew ambled into the Rec room. Domingo first, with his distinctive black shock of dishevelled hair and Latino features. He was our pilot, the man who would get us on to the surface of Mars and off it again. He had flown skylon spaceplanes on manual for years and military jets for years before that. Tessa was just behind him, her disconcertingly dark eyes belying her boyish looks. She was the ship's medic with degrees in biology and biochemistry and was responsible for the experiments that would determine whether subterranean life existed on Mars, or at least had existed some time in the past.

After her came Cloe. A small woman, pretty in the Languedoc French way, whose tight, spare frame was the perfect housing for a temperament that can best be described as professional. She was our physicist and geologist. Finally Dieter whose job was to keep the Terra Nova in working order. Both he and Cloe came from the European Space Agency where they had met and married, partly because it was common knowledge that husband and wife astronauts were more likely to get on the Mars mission shortlist, and partly because they loved each other.

Together with Domingo, of Mexican extraction though a US citizen, Tessa, a true blue Yank, and myself, British born and bred, we formed a ship's complement that was as international as possible whilst excluding the East. China and Russia's gestures of goodwill after the dangerous escalations in Poland and the South China Sea were still far too short of a genuine peace to allow the resumption of the old international co-operation in space. If they wanted to plant a flag on Mars they would have to take it there themselves.

After a few moments everyone was seated in the semicircle of recliners arrayed around the large, two-metre-wide monitor that was the focal point of the Rec room. It was the one part of the ship that was designed to be comfortable. I leaned forward with the remote to start the audiovisual message, not paying attention to the angle of my plate which slipped from my knee before I could catch it, dropping to the floor with the rehydrated asparagus. You don’t ignore anything rehydrated in a spaceship—water is precious—so I bent over with my fork to pick it up and eat it. At that moment Eugene Trinny's face appeared on the screen. That made me sit up. The Director of NASA would not communicate with us unless he had something important to say. I noticed he was not smiling. A kind of cheerful bonhomie is de rigeur in earth-space communications unless something precise and technical is going on between Mission Control and the ship. Something was wrong.

“Hello everyone. I trust everything is fine with you. Seems from our end that Terra Nova is functioning normally.” The Director paused. I knew him slightly. In his late fifties, hair still dark, he had a down-to-earth manner that went with authoritative assurance. I liked him. He ran his fingers through his hair. “What I’m going to say may be difficult for you to take in. We’re still trying to take it in here.” He gestured to someone off-screen. An image appeared, a photograph of a small chunk of rock against a black background.

“1036 Ganymed. It's the biggest of the Amor asteroids. It has an elliptical orbit with an aphelion well past Mars and a perihelion pretty close to Earth. Or it used to. We've been tracking it for the past two years since a planetesimal….next image...”—the chunk of rock was replaced by a starry sky with a red arrow pointing to a white dot near the centre—“since Deepstar IV detected a planetesimal coming into the solar system from the Kuiper Belt. It was probably hit by something else and deflected close to Neptune. Nobody paid much attention it until its orbit was calculated. It was headed straight for Ganymed. At that point the information was given classified status until we had a better idea of the effect the planetesimal would have on the asteroid. Computer simulations predicted a change of orbit, with Earth within the hypothetical radius of the new orbital path. Right, back to the first image.” The chunk of rock reappeared.

“Impact between the planetesimal and Ganymed took place about a month after you left. We tracked Ganymed with all three Deepstar satellites until we had collected enough data to be certain. Ganymed will definitely collide with Earth eleven months from now. About the time you're due back."

Not a bad piece, with minor niggles:

We were four months out when they told us. Good opening line

It’s funny how one remembers exactly where he was and what he was doing when really bad news arrives. I can recall it like yesterday - as you're about to recall it, you don't need this sentence. I had left the crew in the Wardroom and was sitting in my recliner in the Rec room eating a plate of rehydrated asparagus. Domingo and Deiter had started arguing about religion again and after telling everyone that watching cartoons was likely to be more constructive I baled out. It wasn't like I was trying to make a point as mission commander or anything. Cloe and Tessa enjoyed the debates but I just wasn't comfortable discussing the topic. After four months in a ship the size of a two storey apartment the secret of getting along with one's fellow crewmembers is to not try too hard.

I had put Wall-E up on the screen but wasn't paying much attention to it, preferring to listen to the play between Dieter's scepticism and Domingo's uncertain earnestness that filtered through the doorway from the other side of the ship. Would be lovely to have something less generic and show an awareness of what exact subject is being argued - but I guess as it's character POV it's unnecessary

“Good. So you say you can't prove there is a God. Ja? Then why spoil your life for something that is a maybe?”

“I'm not spoiling my life. I'm here, on the first mission to Mars. If that's a spoiled life then your life is spoiled too.”

“Ja ja ja. I mean, there is so much you can't do, ? You walk down the street, you see a pretty girl, you want to get to know her better, but...the big man up there, he says no.”

Tessa's voice butted in. “He doesn't say no. I say no. He'd better not think of looking at anyone else while I've got a ring on my finger.”

“Don't listen to him.” That was Cloe's voice. “He doesn't mean it. I am married to him for ten years. He is—how you say it—a stick-in-the-mud husband. He will never leave me, not if I beg him.”

A brief silence, then: “Ja, right. I keep what I know is good, but you will give up something for something else that you do not even know exists.”

^ IMO you're better cutting this. Rather than pushing the story it's delaying your hook

A musical dong dong sounded through the ship, the signal for an incoming communication from NASA. I balanced my plate on my knee and grabbed the remote to kill the movie. One by one the crew ambled into the Rec room. Domingo first, with his distinctive black shock of dishevelled hair and Latino features. He was our pilot, the man who would get us on to the surface of Mars and off it again. He had flown skylon spaceplanes on manual for years and military jets for years before that. Tessa was just behind him, her disconcertingly dark eyes belying her boyish looks. She was the ship's medic with degrees in biology and biochemistry and was responsible for the experiments that would determine whether subterranean life existed on Mars, or at least had existed some time in the past.

After her came Cloe. A small woman, pretty in the Languedoc French way, whose tight, spare frame was the perfect housing for a temperament that can best be described as professional. She was our physicist and geologist. Finally Dieter whose job was to keep the Terra Nova in working order. Both he and Cloe came from the European Space Agency where they had met and married, partly because it was common knowledge that husband and wife astronauts were more likely to get on the Mars mission shortlist, and partly because they loved each other.

^ Notice that your dialogue mentioned above, then these two paragraphs are all dedicated to giving us descriptions of the characters. The problem is, there are so many of them that we are never going to remember all this, so it's a self-defeating exercise. Better if you introduce the characters one by one as we experience them, rather than trying to describe everything possible about them on the first page. Personally, I would consider whether it's worth naming so many in the first two paragraphs, too.

Together with Domingo, of Mexican extraction though a US citizen, Tessa, a true blue Yank, and myself, British born and bred, we formed a ship's complement that was as international as possible whilst excluding the East. China and Russia's gestures of goodwill after the dangerous escalations in Poland and the South China Sea were still far too short of a genuine peace to allow the resumption of the old international co-operation in space. Error - NASA doesn't do any space work with China at present, because China's space program is run directly by the military, and Congress is concerned that co-operation with NASA will effectively mean providing military technology - hence why China is putting its own space stations up (they just launched the starter for a 2nd this week) If they wanted to plant a flag on Mars they would have to take it there themselves.

After a few moments everyone was seated in the semicircle of recliners arrayed around the large, two-metre-wide monitor that was the focal point of the Rec room. It was the one part of the ship that was designed to be comfortable. I leaned forward with the remote to start the audiovisual message, not paying attention to the angle of my plate which slipped from my knee before I could catch it, dropping to the floor with the rehydrated asparagus. You don’t ignore anything rehydrated in a spaceship—water is precious—so I bent over with my fork to pick it up and eat it. I found this dragged a little - give us some starting detail, but treat them like spices - to flavour a piece, not overwhelm it At that moment Eugene Trinny's face appeared on the screen. That made me sit up. The Director of NASA would not communicate with us unless he had something important to say. I noticed he was not smiling. A kind of cheerful bonhomie is de rigeur in earth-space communications unless something precise and technical is going on between Mission Control and the ship. Something was wrong.

“Hello everyone. I trust everything is fine with you. Seems from our end that Terra Nova is functioning normally.” The Director paused. I knew him slightly. In his late fifties, hair still dark, he had a down-to-earth manner that went with authoritative assurance. I liked him. He ran his fingers through his hair. “What I’m going to say may be difficult for you to take in. We’re still trying to take it in here.” He gestured to someone off-screen. An image appeared, a photograph of a small chunk of rock against a black background.

“1036 Ganymed. It's the biggest of the Amor asteroids. It has an elliptical orbit with an aphelion well past Mars and a perihelion pretty close to Earth. Or it used to. We've been tracking it for the past two years since a planetesimal….next image...”—the chunk of rock was replaced by a starry sky with a red arrow pointing to a white dot near the centre—“since Deepstar IV detected a planetesimal coming into the solar system from the Kuiper Belt. It was probably hit by something else and deflected close to Neptune. Nobody paid much attention it until its orbit was calculated. It was headed straight for Ganymed. At that point the information was given classified status until we had a better idea of the effect the planetesimal would have on the asteroid. Computer simulations predicted a change of orbit, with Earth within the hypothetical radius of the new orbital path. Right, back to the first image.” The chunk of rock reappeared.

“Impact between the planetesimal and Ganymed took place about a month after you left. We tracked Ganymed with all three Deepstar satellites until we had collected enough data to be certain. Ganymed will definitely collide with Earth eleven months from now. About the time you're due back." Good end - here's the BIG hook - just try to avoid sauntering along to this, and perhaps make the approach a little more concise

Overall, not a bad piece at all, with a seriously great opening and ending - it's just maybe the section inbetween could benefit from more judicious cutting. I know you're keen to introduce all the characters to us, but as above, maybe better if you do so more gradually. That way you can both improve the pace, while ensuring each character has more than 5 seconds in the limelight by which to get an impression of them.

2c.

Well, it's either this or copy editing.... so... be warned. I have teeth. :)

Here is the first part of Chap 1 of my hard SF novel Immortelle. This is a cleaned-up version, version A consisting of a lot of info dump that, well, got dumped.

We were four months out when they told us.I'm strongly suspecting an info dump is coming. Also, it's not really a grabby first line.

It’s funny how one remembers exactly where heThis jarred - you said one and then they became a bloke, and my one is a female. Maybe start with how a man remembers or, better still, stick with one through the sentence. was and what he was doing when really bad news arrives. I can recall it like yesterday. Why aren't we in the scene when it's happening. Reciting it back is sucking most of the urgency out of things - for a start, your point of view character isn't in mortal danger. I had left the crew in the Wardroom and was sittingpassive in my recliner in the Rec room eating a plate of rehydrated asparagusand dull. Tell me what the bad news is. I like bad news in a story. Domingo and Deiter had started arguing about religion again and after telling everyone that watching cartoons was likely to be more constructive I baled out. Still nothing happening. It wasn't like I was trying to make a point as mission commander or anything. Cloe and Tessa enjoyed the debates but I just wasn't comfortable discussing the topic. Really struggling to stay engaged now. I dont' want to know all this - I want to know the bad news.... After four months in a ship the size of a two storey apartment the secret of getting along with one's fellow crewmembers is to not try too hard.

I had put Wall-E up on the screen but wasn't paying much attention to it, preferring to listen to the play between Dieter's scepticism and Domingo's uncertain earnestness that filtered through the doorway from the other side of the ship.Hum, de, hum, de, hum. Ooh, something filtering. The bad news?

“Good. So you say you can't prove there is a God. Ja? Then why spoil your life for something that is a maybe?” Dang. ;) (I'm being very tongue in cheek, but you get my drift, I hope. Cut to the chase. This is not engaging enough for a start...)

“Wouldn't dream of it, Tess, the ring cost a packet. Ow!”And here (I'm being generous, actually) I'd put the book back on the shelf. Nothing has happened to engage me. No story has been hinted at. Some bad news was mentioned and never came, so I feel a little cheated. I'd worry the writer didn't have an understanding of the pace needed in a story and give up.

A musical dong dong sounded through the ship, the signal for an incoming communication from NASA. I balanced my plate on my knee and grabbed the remote to kill the movie. One by one the crew ambled into the Rec room. Domingo first, with his distinctive black shock of dishevelled hair and Latino features. He was our pilot, the man who would get us on to the surface of Mars and off it again. He had flown skylon spaceplanes on manual for years and military jets for years before that. Tessa was just behind him, her disconcertingly dark eyes belying her boyish looks. She was the ship's medic with degrees in biology and biochemistry and was responsible for the experiments that would determine whether subterranean life existed on Mars, or at least had existed some time in the past.All that description went over my head. We don't need it, we need a hook.

After her came Cloe. A small woman, pretty in the Languedoc French way, whose tight, spare frame was the perfect housing for a temperament that can best be described as professional. She was our physicist and geologist. Finally Dieter whose job was to keep the Terra Nova in working order. Both he and Cloe came from the European Space Agency where they had met and married, partly because it was common knowledge that husband and wife astronauts were more likely to get on the Mars mission shortlist, and partly because they loved each other.This is all one big info dump. Show us them in the next scene. Drop this information in, bit by bit, not in one big chunk.

Together with Domingo, of Mexican extraction though a US citizen, Tessa, a true blue Yank, and myself, British born and bred, we formed a ship's complement that was as international as possible whilst excluding the East. China and Russia's gestures of goodwill after the dangerous escalations in Poland and the South China Sea were still far too short of a genuine peace to allow the resumption of the old international co-operation in space. If they wanted to plant a flag on Mars they would have to take it there themselves.

After a few moments everyone was seated in the semicircle of recliners arrayed around the large, two-metre-wide monitor that was the focal point of the Rec room. It was the one part of the ship that was designed to be comfortable. I leaned forward with the remote to start the audiovisual message, not paying attention to the angle of my plate which slipped from my knee before I could catch it, dropping to the floor with the rehydrated asparagus. You don’t ignore anything rehydrated in a spaceship—water is precious—so I bent over with my fork to pick it up and eat it. At that moment Eugene Trinny's face appeared on the screen. That made me sit up. The Director of NASA would not communicate with us unless he had something important to say. I noticed he was not smiling. A kind of cheerful bonhomie is de rigeur in earth-space communications unless something precise and technical is going on between Mission Control and the ship. Something was wrong.Okay. This is where we needed to start. Something is wrong.

“Hello everyone. I trust everything is fine with you. And yet we're into chit-chat again. Seems from our end that Terra Nova is functioning normally.” The Director paused. I knew him slightly. In his late fifties, hair still dark, he had a down-to-earth manner that went with authoritative assurance. This pulled me right out of the story. There I am, watching the holo and I've had to stop and be told what he looked like. Frankly, it doesn't matter what he looked like. I imagined a man in his late fifties with the gravitas suitable for a director - what more do I need. I liked him. He ran his fingers through his hair. “What I’m going to say may be difficult for you to take in. We’re still trying to take it in here.” He gestured to someone off-screen. An image appeared, a photograph of a small chunk of rock against a black background.

“1036 Ganymed. It's the biggest of the Amor asteroids. It has an elliptical orbit with an aphelion well past Mars and a perihelion pretty close to Earth. Or it used to. We've been tracking it for the past two years since a planetesimal….next image...”—the chunk of rock was replaced by a starry sky with a red arrow pointing to a white dot near the centre—“since Deepstar IV detected a planetesimal coming into the solar system from the Kuiper Belt. It was probably hit by something else and deflected close to Neptune. Nobody paid much attention it until its orbit was calculated. It was headed straight for Ganymed. At that point the information was given classified status until we had a better idea of the effect the planetesimal would have on the asteroid. Computer simulations predicted a change of orbit, with Earth within the hypothetical radius of the new orbital path. Right, back to the first image.” The chunk of rock reappeared.The hard sf guys might drink this in. for me it went right over my head - mostly because it's an info dump and I skipped over it.

“Impact between the planetesimal and Ganymed took place about a month after you left. We tracked Ganymed with all three Deepstar satellites until we had collected enough data to be certain. Ganymed will definitely collide with Earth eleven months from now. About the time you're due back." - When you get down to it, this line is your hook. And it took over 1000 words to get there. You want this in the first 250, max. Preferably 100....

Okay, the good news is the grammar is clean and didn't pull me up. The bad news is that I think your structure isn't doing you any favours, that it takes way too long to hook us and there is a load of information in there that could be shown at a later stage more effectively than it's told here. But! I don't read hard sf so wait for other opinions. :)

Hiya Justin,

Just very quickly (because I should be heading to a meeting): I think you spend a little too much throat-clearing at the start. As Jo pointed out the "one" and them "he" doesn't work, and there's something odd going on with the tense there as well.

You also say the captain isn't interested in the debate, and then he's listening to it, which feels contradictory (that may not be precisely what you said, but it was what I took away from it).

On the other hand, I thought the dialogue really sang and I loved the God debate with the wives getting involved -- that was really great stuff and I'd have liked it earlier.

When the message comes in, I think you need to get to it as soon as possible because currently your action is broken by description so it feels a bit like you're getting distracted and it can't be anything too important. I'd pop in a little -- a detail or two about the characters -- during the debate, and not when you have action.

Good stuff, though. It can be so tough knowing where to put the information that needs to come across but I think for the opening it makes sense to get on with the action, and then when the reader is engaged it's easier to get the information across.

Mostly nodding in agreement with what's been said. I liked the first line. Then actually got frustrated by reading a conversation, then some personal bio info about the cast. I blanked out on one paragraph "Together with Domingo..." Then, ooh, intriguing end and concept. I'm interested. Jo said it, but none of what you tell us is either bad or badly written. I think you just need to pull the kicker of EARTH IS DOOMED!!! much closer to the start, then drop in all that rich character backstory as the crew reacts.

Or here's an alternate structure which may or may not work...

We were 4 months out when they told us.
Domingo freaked and started ranting about God. Deiter stared at the screen, shut down while his wife Cloe sobbed. Blah blah...
I remember it like yesterday. Space Director McGuffin came on the screen and told us earth was doomed.

Give us a hook (we got bad news) without explaining it, show us everyone freaking out (or not), which allows you to build some character and drop in some description and hints of backstory, then finish as you do. It could work. It may suffer form the same issue as people have outlined, or it may create some tension almost immediately.

Hope that helps.

Agree with all above, I'll just add a couple of thoughts.

As far as exposition goes, I think you get a bit more leniency with Harder SF for the science related stuff - in this case the Asteroid info. Not everyone might agree, but certainly when I read Harder stuff I like to hear about orbits and ship design and colony inventories. Obviously though, the smoother you can get this into the story without dumps, the better.

But the info about the crew members, I'd probably skim over. I think Brian touched on this, that early in the piece I'm not willing to invest too much in these people without knowing what's happening to them (the hook).

I'm not saying ditch characterisation for rockets (pew pew!), just that I think the genre gives you flexibility for a bit of science exposition.

Rïght, I've read through all the crits several times and done some thinking. Obviously I can't please all the people all the time but hopefully this revision addresses the principal issues. If it doesn't...well, j'ai fais mon mieux. I want to keep the interest balanced between the looming asteroid and the crew since the crew matter - one of them is going to start murdering the others. Input still and always welcome!

I remember our last few minutes as a happy, united team.

I had left the crew in the Wardroom and was sitting in my recliner in the Rec room eating a plate of rehydrated asparagus. Domingo and Deiter had started arguing about religion again and after telling everyone that watching cartoons was likely to be more constructive I baled out. It wasn't like I was trying to make a point as mission commander or anything. Cloe and Tessa enjoyed the debates but I just wasn't comfortable getting dragged into the topic. After five months in a ship the size of a two storey apartment I'd learned that the secret of getting along with one's fellow crewmembers was to not try too hard.

I had put Wall-E up on the screen but wasn't paying much attention to it, preferring to listen to the play between Dieter's scepticism and Domingo's uncertain earnestness that filtered through the doorway from the other side of the ship.

And that was the moment when everything changed.

A musical dong dong sounded through the ship, the signal for an incoming communication from NASA. I balanced my plate on my knee and grabbed the remote to kill the movie. One by one the crew ambled into the Rec room: Domingo, our pilot. Then Tessa, biochemist. Cloe, physicist and geologist, and finally Dieter, engineer.

After a few moments everyone was seated in the semicircle of recliners arrayed around the large, two-metre-wide monitor that was the focal point of the Rec room. It was the one part of the ship that was designed to be comfortable. I leaned forward with the remote and started the audiovisual message. Eugene Trinny's face appeared on the screen. That made me sit up. The Director of NASA would not communicate with us unless he had something important to say. I noticed he was not smiling. A kind of cheerful bonhomie is de rigeur in earth-space communications unless something precise and technical is going on between Mission Control and the ship. Something was wrong.

“Hello everyone. I trust everything is fine with you. Seems from our end that Terra Nova is functioning normally.” The Director paused and ran his fingers through his still-dark hair. “What I’m going to say may be difficult for you to take in. We’re still trying to take it in here.” He gestured to someone off-screen. An image appeared, a photograph of a small chunk of rock against a black background.

“Impact between the planetesimal and Ganymed took place about a month after you left. We tracked Ganymed with all three Deepstar satellites until we had collected enough data to be certain. Ganymed will definitely collide with Earth fifteen months from now. About the time you're due back.”

Everything froze for me except the image on the screen, a tiny, indistinct, innocuous pebble. Then it disappeared, replaced by the Director’s face.

“Let me give you the specs. Ganymed is about 31 kilometers long. It has a mass of 330 quadrillion tons. The experts tell me that's pretty dense for an asteroid—about 3.5 tons per cubic metre, which is due to it having plenty of iron and magnesium silicates in its composition.

“The good news is that we have a plan for neutralising it. We can't break it up but we’ll hit it with multiple nukes to deflect it. If it goes as projected Earth will be fine, but the President still wants a backup plan for you.” For the first time the hint of a smile appeared in his features.

“You’ll be getting new course settings. It won’t change your current path for the moment. You’ll still be going to Mars. If everything works out it would be a pity to abandon the whole mission just because of a scare. But we’ll be sending you a couple of additional supply ships. We want you to stay up there a bit longer than planned. To put it bluntly we’re turning the Terra Nova into a lifeboat.”

I glanced at the others. No-one moved or averted their eyes from the screen. Their faces were expressionless, as if in shock.

“We don’t exactly know what the effects would be of a body this size hitting the earth. One has to factor in speed, mass, composition, angle of impact, all that. Our best models project that the Earth would remain habitable but would take a while to recover before you could return to it. The idea is to give you as much time as possible. Again, let me emphasize that this is just a precaution, a fall-back plan. Something that we don’t intend to use. Your primary mission should remain unchanged. We’ll fill you in as our information becomes clearer. Any questions you have we’ll be only too happy to answer. It was my recommendation when this came up not to hide anything from you. You can fulfil your secondary mission—in the remote possibility it becomes necessary—if you know exactly what’s going on. For now that’s all I have to say. I don’t have to emphasize how much we depend on each of you to do a good job. There’s a lot more at stake now. I’ll be available if you need to know anything further from me. Goodbye and good luck.” The screen went blank.

I remember our last few minutes as a happy, united team.

IMO not a strong opening line. The previous had real gravitas, a hint of high stakes, and forced the reader to ask what may have been told.

Personally speaking, I think you are still trying to give too much attention to the other crew members too quickly, rushing in names we will quickly forget, and the dialogue drags out the story rather than progresses it - remember, either opening sentence asks a question, and the longer you take to answer it the danger is the more you will test a reader's patience. You have a single POV character so your strength will be to focus on their experience.

On that point - they're in space - this should be a pretty unusual environment. It's a place for science and technology, weightlessness, a place where everyday actions can be challenging. Even if you've got anti-grav of some kind, the experience of being in space should be unique and different. What you have instead is normal, and could be in an actual apartment complex or student digs - arguing about religion, watching Wall E - none of this says "the experience of being on a space ship".

While you could keep what you have, it occurs to me that you may be missing a trick. There may be a danger that science fiction readers may sniff "space fantasy" rather than "science fiction" if you leave that trick out (the way you have it, the crew is simply lounging about with nothing to do - the complete antithesis of what we might expect of a space mission).

Also, IMO the explanation of the situation is just a long infodump that kills your tension, and allows you to underplay it. Remember in that sneaky example you gave of infodumping in another thread, and then rewrote it as the crew juggling it between them? I would suggest do that here. That means have the NASA guy appear, speak briefly, then the crew watch an animation of presentation. Keep all detail brief. Get as quickly as you can to this bit:

“Impact between the planetesimal and Ganymed took place about a month after you left. We tracked Ganymed with all three Deepstar satellites until we had collected enough data to be certain. Ganymed will definitely collide with Earth fifteen months from now. About the time you're due back.”

because that gives you stakes, connects the hook, and drives the story forward. In fact, even consider ending the chapter on that cliffhanger - that will give you space to do something else to build the character experience, before addressing it.

Either way, you can then introduce the crew properly and have them puzzle things out. In fact, may even just have your protagonist with his second receive the message at first, then bring someone else in - surely the other crew have duties? This will give you a chance to create internal conflict - NASA has dropped it all on him to share the bad news, etc - which introducing the other characters in a gradual and memorable way.

Also, don't underplay any of your tension by suggesting the issue is going to be handled by nukes, or that there's a remote possibility of the crew getting involved - they are already involved, and there is or there isn't a plan - don't be vague, or try to make the reader feel cheated - they know your crew must be involved. Think The Martian when the crew there found out their potential new mission.

Just some thoughts...

IMO not a strong opening line. The previous had real gravitas, a hint of high stakes, and forced the reader to ask what may have been told.

Personally speaking, I think you are still trying to give too much attention to the other crew members too quickly, rushing in names we will quickly forget, and the dialogue drags out the story rather than progresses it - remember, either opening sentence asks a question, and the longer you take to answer it the danger is the more you will test a reader's patience. You have a single POV character so your strength will be to focus on their experience.

On that point - they're in space - this should be a pretty unusual environment. It's a place for science and technology, weightlessness, a place where everyday actions can be challenging. Even if you've got anti-grav of some kind, the experience of being in space should be unique and different. What you have instead is normal, and could be in an actual apartment complex or student digs - arguing about religion, watching Wall E - none of this says "the experience of being on a space ship".

While you could keep what you have, it occurs to me that you may be missing a trick. There may be a danger that science fiction readers may sniff "space fantasy" rather than "science fiction" if you leave that trick out (the way you have it, the crew is simply lounging about with nothing to do - the complete antithesis of what we might expect of a space mission).

Also, IMO the explanation of the situation is just a long infodump that kills your tension, and allows you to underplay it. Remember in that sneaky example you gave of infodumping in another thread, and then rewrote it as the crew juggling it between them? I would suggest do that here. That means have the NASA guy appear, speak briefly, then the crew watch an animation of presentation. Keep all detail brief. Get as quickly as you can to this bit:

because that gives you stakes, connects the hook, and drives the story forward. In fact, even consider ending the chapter on that cliffhanger - that will give you space to do something else to build the character experience, before addressing it.

Either way, you can then introduce the crew properly and have them puzzle things out. In fact, may even just have your protagonist with his second receive the message at first, then bring someone else in - surely the other crew have duties? This will give you a chance to create internal conflict - NASA has dropped it all on him to share the bad news, etc - which introducing the other characters in a gradual and memorable way.

Also, don't underplay any of your tension by suggesting the issue is going to be handled by nukes, or that there's a remote possibility of the crew getting involved - they are already involved, and there is or there isn't a plan - don't be vague, or try to make the reader feel cheated - they know your crew must be involved. Think The Martian when the crew there found out their potential new mission.

Just some thoughts...

Mm..hmm....
think_smiley_11.gif

I'd replace the first line from your latest version with the earlier one, which gets us going immediately with the question "told them what?" For me, though, the problem then is that I skim the conversation in order to get to the answer, or some clue that we're getting closer to the answer. So I'd lose the conversation and maybe just keep the summary paragraph about him listening to it, before moving on to the "everything changed" bit (though that wording might sound a bit overblown only a few lines after the original opener).

Hope that helps a little.

OK, the only way I can get from hook to fish at top speed is this:

We were four months out when they told us.

It’s funny how you remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when really bad news arrives. I had left the crew in the Wardroom and was sitting in my recliner in the Rec room eating a plate of rehydrated asparagus. Domingo and Deiter had started arguing about religion again and after telling everyone that watching cartoons was likely to be more constructive I baled out. It wasn't like I was trying to make a point as mission commander or anything. Cloe and Tessa enjoyed the debates but I just wasn't comfortable discussing the topic. After five months in a ship the size of a two storey apartment the secret of getting along with one's fellow crewmembers is to not try too hard.

I had put Wall-E up on the screen but wasn't paying much attention to it. About ten minutes into the movie a red dot flashed in the centre of the picture, accompanied by a musical dong dong that sounded through the ship, the signal for a message from NASA. I decided to play it before calling the crew. A lot of messages concerned only one crewmember who was specialist in the subject matter.

I leaned forward with the remote to start the audiovisual message. Eugene Trinny's face appeared on the screen. That made me sit up. The Director of NASA would not communicate with us unless he had something important to say. I noticed he was not smiling. A kind of cheerful bonhomie is de rigeur in earth-space communications unless something precise and technical is going on between Mission Control and the ship. Something was wrong.

“Hello everyone. I trust everything is fine with you. Seems from our end that Terra Nova is functioning normally.” The Director ran his fingers through his still-dark hair. “What I’m going to say may be difficult for you to take in. We’re still trying to take it in here.” He gestured to someone off-screen. An image appeared, a photograph of a small chunk of rock against a black background.

“1036 Ganymed. It's the biggest of the Amor asteroids. It has an elliptical orbit with an aphelion well past Mars and a perihelion pretty close to Earth. Or it used to. We've been tracking it for the past two years since a planetesimal….next image...”—the chunk of rock was replaced by a starry sky with a red arrow pointing to a white dot near the centre—“since Deepstar IV detected a planetesimal coming into the solar system from the Kuiper Belt. It was probably hit by something else and deflected close to Neptune. Nobody paid much attention to it until its orbit was calculated. It was headed straight for Ganymed. At that point the information was given classified status until we had a better idea of the effect the planetesimal would have on the asteroid. Computer simulations predicted a change of orbit, with Earth within the hypothetical radius of the new orbital path. Right, back to the first image.” The chunk of rock reappeared.

Everything froze for me except the image on the screen, a tiny, indistinct, innocuous pebble. Then it disappeared, replaced by the Director’s face.

“Let me give you the specs. Ganymed is about 31 kilometers long. It has a mass of 330 quadrillion tons. The experts tell me that's pretty dense for an asteroid—about 3.5 tons per cubic metre, which is due to it having plenty of iron and magnesium silicates in its composition.

“The good news is that we have a plan for neutralising it. We can't break it up but we’ll hit it with multiple nukes to deflect it. If it goes as projected Earth will be fine, but the President still wants a backup plan for you.” For the first time the hint of a smile appeared in his features.

“You’ll be getting new course settings. It won’t change your current path for the moment. You’ll still be going to Mars. If everything works out it would be a pity to abandon the whole mission just because of a scare. But we’ll be sending you a couple of additional supply ships. We want you to stay up there a bit longer than planned. To put it bluntly we’re turning the Terra Nova into a lifeboat.”

“We don’t exactly know what the effects would be of a body this size hitting the earth. One has to factor in speed, mass, composition, angle of impact, all that. Our best models project that the Earth would remain habitable but would take a while to recover before you could return to it. The idea is to give you as much time as possible. Again, let me emphasize that this is just a precaution, a fall-back plan. Something that we don’t intend to use. Your primary mission should remain unchanged. We’ll fill you in as our information becomes clearer. Any questions you have we’ll be only too happy to answer. It was my recommendation when this came up not to hide anything from you. You can fulfil your secondary mission—in the remote possibility it becomes necessary—if you know exactly what’s going on. For now that’s all I have to say. I don’t have to emphasize how much we depend on each of you to do a good job. There’s a lot more at stake now. I’ll be available if you need to know anything further from me. Goodbye and good luck.” The screen went blank.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.