How effective are YouTube promo videos?

Here's my own promo video I did for my historical novel. I had a budget of $0.00 had more or less mastered WMM. I trawled the web, pinched clips from any relevant documentaries I could find, stitched them together and then added music and overlaid text. The opening scene of the sack of Rome is way too long.

A few thoughts:
1) Whilst your budget limits you you should avoid and not pinch bits from other films. Media (just like your book) has copyright protections and you shouldn't use others works for your own advertising. It leaves you open to legal challenge and isn't something you want to do from a professional angle anyway.
There are royalty free productions (oft from indie producers) so you might seek those out as a potential source of material if you have to; but they might also come with restrictions (eg that you can't cut and paste segments in and out or mix it with other work).

2) Your video looks neat and makes me interested in seeing the film/TV series. I have no interest what so ever in a book after watching it. Indeed your book title page appears as if an afterthought only part way through and then vanishes so quickly that one might easily miss it if they are not paying full attention to the ad.

The first part of my last point is the core problem with video for books. You can't really use action scenes and such very easily for such a video advertisement because it sets the viewer up for disappointment and sets a false perception. You set them up for action in a moving pictures style and then want them to read it in a words
Whenever I've seen TV adverts for books its been from the magazine companies pitching a new monthly magazine. These work well as they can use pictures from the book and show pages as they are already glossy and have images within them. They also often have a collectable item or a build or something that comes each month so that too takes part of the scene up.

For a written book with no (maybe the front cover and a map) real images and with no moving parts :)P) its a lot harder to use video to advertise your work. I'd argue that an illustrated special edition would do well in video (which in fantasy basically means only Lord of the Rings - possibly Game of Thrones and Harry Potter).

I'm just not sure it's worth the £15.99 or £39.99 a month to do it properly. I'm a little frustrated that I have a talented filmmaker of a daughter who has hit a period of teen insecurity about her work so doesn't want to do it.

Dang teenagers!

And dang, that's a bit expensive!

1) Whilst your budget limits you you should avoid and not pinch bits from other films. Media (just like your book) has copyright protections and you shouldn't use others works for your own advertising. It leaves you open to legal challenge and isn't something you want to do from a professional angle anyway.

Short clips from full length productions are perfectly legal if employed within the parameters of Fair Use. The Historybuffs channel on YouTube regularly takes clips from movies it is reviewing (and, no, there's no special law allowing you to use movie clips only if you review the movie). My entire video is two minutes long and uses only a few dozen seconds from each documentary I trawled for suitable material. See Section Two: using copyrighted material for illustration or example on the CMSI website.

The first part of my last point is the core problem with video for books. You can't really use action scenes and such very easily for such a video advertisement because it sets the viewer up for disappointment and sets a false perception. You set them up for action in a moving pictures style and then want them to read it in a words

There be truth in that.

Justin the CMSI Website which I glanced through doesn't, under its list of best practices, list anything regarding commercial advertising. That is generally because once you're commercially advertising you do require copyright. You're not using the videos to illustrate, but rather as part of your advert for your product - in this case a book. Thus the situation chances and fair-use tends to go out the window.

Editorial use is different and is a means by which one can use copyrighted material to generate revenue; but straight advertising is likely to land you in hot water.

Justin the CMSI Website which I glanced through doesn't, under its list of best practices, list anything regarding commercial advertising. That is generally because once you're commercially advertising you do require copyright. You're not using the videos to illustrate, but rather as part of your advert for your product - in this case a book. Thus the situation chances and fair-use tends to go out the window.

Editorial use is different and is a means by which one can use copyrighted material to generate revenue; but straight advertising is likely to land you in hot water.

See No. 3 here.

Justin point 3 only states that fair-use is the same no matter if you're a commercial entity - personal or if you're working on behalf of a non-profit or charity organisation. Again you're not using the video clips to present a review of the videos or otherwise use them in an editorial fashion; you are instead using them as a display whilst attached to an advertisement of your product.

Fair use is not divided in a black-and-white fashion between commercial and non-commercial use. This site has, among other things, this to say on the subject:

Collage is a time honored art form that utilizes pre-existing materials, including artwork and photographs. Often the materials will be copyrighted. So your unauthorized use of those materials would be copyright infringement unless your collage qualifies as fair use. Unfortunately, there is no legal rule on whether collage as a category would be fair use. It will depend in each case on an evaluation of the four fair use factors with respect to the particular collage.

For most collages, Factor (1), purpose and character of the use, will be the key factor. Typical collages, those that use many different materials juxtaposed in ways that create new visuals and meanings, will be considered transformative works. A work is “transformative” when the copyrighted material is “transformed in the creation of new information, new aesthetics, new insights and understanding.” In contrast, a work is not transformative if it merely uses the copyrighted material in the same way or with the same effect as the original work.​

And this from the Wiki article on fair use:

A key consideration in recent fair use cases is the extent to which the use is transformative. In the 1994 decision Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music Inc,[7] the U.S. Supreme Court held that when the purpose of the use is transformative, this makes the first factor more likely to favor fair use.[8] Before the Campbell decision, federal Judge Pierre Leval argued that transformativeness is central to the fair use analysis in his 1990 article, Toward a Fair Use Standard.[6] Blanch v. Koons is another example of a fair use case that focused on transformativeness. In 2006, Jeff Koons used a photograph taken by commercial photographer Andrea Blanch in a collage painting.[9] He appropriated a central portion of an advertisement she had been commissioned to shoot for a magazine. Koons prevailed in part because his use was found transformative under the first fair use factor.​

I used the clips to tell a story different from the original documentaries. The fact it was done to advertise a novel does not automatically disqualify it as fair use. The problem is that fair use is legally a very undefined concept. Personally I don't lose any sleep over it: the final video was short, used very short bits from the source materials, and advertised a novel that nobody has heard of in any case. :(

Last edited: