Theory (spoiler alert)

Discussion in 'Patrick Rothfuss' started by Ambriel, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Ambriel

Ambriel Active Member

After reading both books, particularly the part about the time that Kvothe spent with the Maer and his lady love Meluan Lackless, I developed a theory. As know one whom I've met in person has read both books I figured I would state my theory here.
    I think that the reason Lady Lackless doesn't like the Edema Rue is because her sister ran off with Kvothe's father. I think this is related to the little rhyme that Kvothe over heard as a child when his mother was still alive, and why she chastised him for it. I also think this is going to be important later on, specifically whatever is in her box that cannot be opened.
    I'm curious if I am the only one who has made the connection and I am interested to hear thoughts on my theory.

2. Narkalui

Narkalui Nerf Herder

I remember making that exact same connection myself, and I can't wait to find out what is in the box (probably not Gwyneth Paltrow's head ;) ).

3. Secher_Nbiw

Secher_Nbiw Member

I'm reasonably sure Meluan's sister is Kvothe mother, hence the "something familiar" senses about her. As for the box, I think pehaps that is tied into the Amyr: either Selitos' eye, or something relating to Lanre.

4. Ambriel

Ambriel Active Member

Which would in turn make it related to the chandrian which means that the Maer and Meluan are in danger.

5. Secher_Nbiw

Secher_Nbiw Member

You know what? If that's the case, I really can't wait for Kvothe to show up on their doorstep and call Meluan "aunt".

Narkalui and Boneman like this.
  6. Ambriel

Ambriel Active Member

Right? I feel like she's not gonna be happy to discover that the wandering vagabond who one her heart for the Maer is actually her nephew.

Secher_Nbiw likes this.
  7. Secher_Nbiw

Secher_Nbiw Member

I may find myself disappointed if Pat doesn't include this.