Timeless - NBC's "Hard SF" & "Historical" TT Series

In my time travel research there is a lot of good stuff Marvel Comics has thought about with Time Travel over the years.

To Marvel and DC Multiverse has been a big thing over the years. And it has become an accepted theory these days, not just some foil hat theory cooked under an acid dream. I haven't brought neither one of their stuff because their unique, but I've started to kind of believe that Timeless and Dr Who might be at the end of their era and the small screen fiction will move increasingly towards shows like Continuum and Travellers.

Mrs Grey like this series. So I have no choice but to continue watching it, even though I've thought about dropping it because it doesn't do anything for me. There is no excitement, no thrill, no thought process other than 'what can I read in the other screen while the show progresses itself towards the end.' To me, personally, Timeless has lost its shine.

I understand completely what it is and who it was created for. It's kind of sad that it loses watchers from the other end of the spectrum, because it's so safe to assume nothing bad will ever happen. Nothing major nor catastrophic.

We see, there's still episodes to go until the season is finished.

I'm not all sure that timeless is so static in who survives as you think. I think everyone save Lucy is possibly expendable and could quite easily be replaced.

Reactions: ctg
I'm not going to read the article as I want to watch the last show as well. I have it on my dVR. Maybe come back later and comment.

Thanks, got to run now, but will come back to read!

Just watched the finale tonight. It didn't have any more substance to it than the rest of the series. It completed the Flynn storyline (not Rittenhouse's) with just as much inconsistencies and holes as other episodes had. Maybe more. At least this time, they didn't do much damage to actual historic events. Just to themselves.

They set up a little spoiler tidbit for where season 2 could go which might hint to time travel into the future! Jiya went with them to help out Rufus and now she is experiencing some type of effects from time traveling with four people in the lifeboat. Whether her visions are glimpses into the future or glimpses of other dimensions remains to be seen and could be really exciting to explore in season 2.
However, that might change the show too much from what it is now.

Overall I loved it. I think Wyatt (Matt Lanter) carried the entire show and I didn't like his character at first. It was a fun ride and that's really the best way to describe the show. I enjoyed it and looked forward to it every week and it is an original piece of work that was very different from anything really on TV right now. Some more Time Travel shows are coming from other networks with the same feels, and the Netflix stuff took a more serious approach to things like this. So it is refreshing to see another show that can have fun with itself and not take itself too seriously, like Timeless did.

That being said, I honestly wouldn't feel too empty if the show doesn't get renewed for Season 2. I thought the story as light as it was has been pretty much told. As mentioned in my spoiler, if they are hinting at time travel into the future. It can't go from popcorn actiony flick to 12 Monkeyish. That would ruin the flavor. All we can do for now is wait until April-May, I guess to see if the execs over at NBC have room for a little bit more creativity in their Monday night lineup again. In the past the show's saving grace might have been that it can be labelled as a sci-fi procedural and procedurals are great cash cows for syndication not to mention franchise builders, but I think Netflix's Travellers has the edge there. The other time travel shows that are coming out don't seem to be procedurals.

Though, Time After Time easily could be. I'm just not sure how or what they will do each week chasing Jack the Ripper. At least Timeless has a larger universe to play in.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctg
I have liked the series quite well. But I did not really enjoy the season finale. The episode at first felt too perfect, and then it was like someone said: Hm, maybe this show will be renewed, let's offer up some potential stories to be pursued, and by the way, don't ever think anything is going to turn out alright for the main characters, after all unlikely conspiracies cannot be contained. Minus this last episode I was really ready to watch more, now, not so much.

I have liked the series quite well. But I did not really enjoy the season finale. The episode at first felt too perfect, and then it was like someone said: Hm, maybe this show will be renewed, let's offer up some potential stories to be pursued, and by the way, don't ever think anything is going to turn out alright for the main characters, after all unlikely conspiracies cannot be contained. Minus this last episode I was really ready to watch more, now, not so much.

Totally agree with this especially the part about it seeming like they added some stuff just because they hoped they will have a season 2. The story easily could have ended on a higher note than it already did.

by the way, don't ever think anything is going to turn out alright for the main characters, after all unlikely conspiracies cannot be contained.

Mum's betreal hurt and I knew from the moment Rufus were so nice that everything was going to be all right. He has never been on their side, so why would he be that way in season final in last quarter?

Mum's betreal hurt and I knew from the moment Rufus were so nice that everything was going to be all right. He has never been on their side, so why would he be that way in season final in last quarter?

@ctg I think you meant Mason. Not Rufus.

Just watched the finale tonight. It didn't have any more substance to it than the rest of the series. It completed the Flynn storyline (not Rittenhouse's) with just as much inconsistencies and holes as other episodes had. Maybe more. At least this time, they didn't do much damage to actual historic events. Just to themselves.

However, that might change the show too much from what it is now.
I've got to agree with you all about the poor ending of the series, and that it may have been hastily rewritten when a sequel became more likely. I actually didn't mind that the series was a bit light, sometimes I need a bit of light to compensate for some of the darker TV. I think you are probably correct that the tone of the second season might change next year, possibly to compete with the other new TT series planned. That might be a mistake, or it might improve it. I'll have to see it first.

@Dave ... Never would have thought of that, but it does make some sense.

Just finished binge-watching the last six episodes of the first season.
Overall, I enjoyed the series. As the episodes progressed, I was drawn into the plot and characters and stopped checking my old college history textbooks to see if their actions had changed any events as I recalled them.;)
The finale did make plenty of room for continuing the series:
The attraction between Lucy and Wyatt; Jiya's visions of the future; the continuing battle against Rittenhouse)
If NBC renews Timeless for a second season, I will happily watch it.

@REBerg ....

I thought that Jiya's vision was of the past. I thought that as she looked at the bridge time was rewinding for her. I never gave it a thought that it might the bridge deteriorating.

@REBerg ....

I thought that Jiya's vision was of the past. I thought that as she looked at the bridge time was rewinding for her. I never gave it a thought that it might the bridge deteriorating.
That is another possibility.
Perhaps her vision was of an alternative present caused by her trip into the past. :unsure:

That is another possibility.
Perhaps her vision was of an alternative present caused by her trip into the past. :unsure:

For some reason I read this as alternative President. My head has got to get out of the politics :)