Already published, but no agent

Paradox 99

KenDodd'sDad'sDog'sDead
Okay, so I'm one of those fortunate enough to get a publishing deal a few years back, and since then have had a great relationship with my publisher (5 book deals so far).

But... my publisher has started on a new direction, narrowing their field more toward eBooks than print. That's fine, but leaves me feeling a little dissatisfied, so I'm getting itchy feet and I'm considering moving on. My problem is that I originally managed to get published with a submission directly to the publisher. I didn't have an agent. Again, that's all well and good, but now that I'm on the search again, I actually want to get an agent because I think they'd be better equipped to search out the right publisher(s). Trouble is, whenever I look at agents their standard request is for the usual cover letter and first three chapters, and want I'm actually looking for is greater representation for the books I've already written and any future books.

Has anyone had any experience where that sort of thing is concerned?
I'm thinking of just writing a query letter to agents explaining the situation but was looking for some advice first.

Personally I think it would be best to approach an agent with something completely fresh. I doubt he would be interested in any previously published work, except as proof that you can sell. Make sure you list all your sales on your cover letter.

I know of well known authors that have problems selling the re-gained rights of their work and often end up self-publishing their back catalogue.

Check your contract with your current publisher. This is very important, because there could be a clause that states, any books you write in future that contain the same characters, settings or even similar to the book you have published with them, they have either the rights to or first dips at. Though an agent might be willing to rep you for these books, it depends on your sales of the others. Quite often there is a buy out clause, but it can be expensive.

Back