Kingsguard Assemble!

I do like your analysis Boaz, very logical and well thought out. However I do firmly believe that the new Kingsguard will be made up of people who have become legends in their own lifetimes due to their actions in the War of Five Kings.

Edric Dayne perhaps?

I agree with most of your analysis Boaz, except for 2 points.
Tom o'Sevens is a wanderer... if he actually is who he appears to be. The Knigsguard serve in the Red Keep...... for life.

Tom O'Sevens has been a wanderer thus far, that is true. And it is possible that there is more to him than we know, judging by the reaction that Edmund Tully had to seeing him in his tent. But why did Edmund react that way? And why was Tom even in a lannister camp? there was evidence that some of the brotherhood did not take well to UnCat's leadership, so has Tom deserted the brotherhood? or is he in the camp as a spy for the new Brotherhood? I think the amount of mystery around him is enough to leave him as a candidate for the Kingsguard as there simply isn't enough evidence to rule him out.

Podrick Payne. A sentimental favorites of readers and viewers. I'd love to see him rise high, but who is going to offer him the job? Tyrion is the only one. Pod's coming along as a fighter, but he's not great... yet. He brings no political allies with him. He brings no commercial connections. We know of his unshakeable loyalty... and the only way he'll get a white cloak is for Dany to see it as well. And don't think that GRRM does not know this...

As for Pod, I think those 3 points are actually what makes him an ideal candidate. so depending on who he winds up serving, and who wins the throne, and if Pod is even still alive, then we may see a Sir Podric donning a white cloak.

I see that not a single one of you seem to think that Jaime will retain his position. I'm convinced that Dany as queen would keep Jaime as LC, now before you all jump up and call me crazy let me explain.

Jaime killed Aerys, but as Dany learns more and more about her father, and the atrocities he committed, she will accept the fact that Jaime did the right thing. Dany is her fathers daughter, she too has committed atrocities, but always with good intentions. At some point she will cross a line and take things to far. She'll do something that will haunt her wether it's burning a city of innocents alive because their lord refused to kneel, or executing families (including young heirs) as revenge for the sack of King's Landing. At some point she'll come to realize how easy it is to abuse her power, how easy it would be to become a Mad Queen.

Now we've seen Maggy the Frog's prophecies slowly come to fruition, so the odds of Cersei being Killed by the Valonqar are pretty high. This means she not likely to lose her trial, and have her will freedom when Dany and her army arrive. We know she is willing to kill herself, her children, and other members of the nobility if the city seems likely to be overrun. We saw this in the Sept during the Battle of the Blackwater, when she was ready to turn the Sept of Baelor into Jonestown.

We know about the wildfire, Cersei knows about the wildfire. I believe that when Dany comes to take the throne Cersei will hold the city hostage, under threat of following through with Aerys plan. At this point, once again Jaime will be the only one willing to do the right thing, and become both King and Queenslayer.

Dany knows how easy it is to cross that line. Jaime will have proven twice that he won't let that happen. She will keep Jaime close, sword ever ready, to stop her when/if the time comes.

Note: my theory kinda relies on Jaime being the Valonqar, and if Aerys+Joanna=Jaime/Cersei it works even better as Jaime retaining his position would remove him as a claimant to the throne....

Boaz!!So glad to hear from you again! Nobody puts their 2 cents in like you! I had to open another window to be able to respond! Okay here goes, mostly agree with your scenario.
However: Brienne, assuming she survives her current situation (I still think the word is Sword) may end up a hero in her own right. She is already probably the only person Jaime truly trusts (whether he knows it yet or not). If she gets the chance to prove (redeem) herself in the eyes of what's left of Catelyn who knows what she may do there. So I can't count her out.
Pod: Tyrion already knows and trusts him. I will make the assumption that Tyrion ends up with Dany. So if Dany takes the throne, Pod remains a strong contender.
One last point: I never considered that Loras my be in hiding!! Love it, and very possible, the Queen of Thorns is one smart cookie!

Tom O'Sevens has been a wanderer thus far, that is true. And it is possible that there is more to him than we know, judging by the reaction that Edmund Tully had to seeing him in his tent. But why did Edmund react that way? And why was Tom even in a lannister camp? there was evidence that some of the brotherhood did not take well to UnCat's leadership, so has Tom deserted the brotherhood? or is he in the camp as a spy for the new Brotherhood? I think the amount of mystery around him is enough to leave him as a candidate for the Kingsguard as there simply isn't enough evidence to rule him out.
Very good questions Arstan! I wondered too why Edmure reacted as he did? Not sure what could make him a Kingsguard candidate but what the heck is going on with him?

Very good questions Arstan! I wondered too why Edmure reacted as he did? Not sure what could make him a Kingsguard candidate but what the heck is going on with him?

I'm not really standing firm behind my nomination of Tom o'sevens as a candidate for a white cloak, but there is something fishy going on with him, which makes it possible that he is not who he says he is, which means he could be almost anybody. He might even be a disowned or dishonored younger son from some minor noble house.

To be honest, I only suggested him because I was trying to think of someone from the Brotherhood and the idea of the warrior bard becoming a legendary hero and knight strikes a cord with my romantic narrative side.

Isn't there a comment somewhere about, a few years before the start of the books, Edmure getting annoyed that a minstrel visiting Riverrun slept with a serving girl on whom Edmure had his eye..? I always assumed from Edmure's odd reaction that it was Tom Seven Strings...

Just a quick thought: assuming I'm right about The Hooded Man being Raynald Westerling, what about him joining the Kingsguard?

Thanks, guys! Good to see all of you posting here.

Narky, I do not know that my posts are "well thought out"... They're just full of my opinions. And Catelyn mentioned the information about Edmure losing a girl to a minstrel in either ACOK or ASOS. And who is the Hooded Man? Do you mean the guy who murdered Pate in Oldtown?

Arsten, While rereading the thread, I also thought Pod's lack of connections make him "an ideal candidate"... You've changed my mind. We know all crimes are forgiven when a man takes the black, but what about when he takes the white? Jaime and BFS both served Aerys and Robert. Could your love of the Brotherhood get Gendry into a white cloak? Nobody knows who he is... Littlefinger and Varys could probably trace his origins... Would that blow people's minds to have a son of Robert guarding the daughter of Aerys?

Keldaris, Good ideas regarding Cersei and Jaime. I love the idea of Jaime as Kingslayer and kinslayer in Aerys' death. If BFS can convince Dany that Rhaegar had planned to depose Aerys and if Dany believes Jaime to be the two time savior of KL and if BFS dies and if Jaime can stomach switching sides back from Baratheon to Targaryen, then and only then can Jaime be in her KG. A major problem is that BFS and Jaime are both LC of KG... like Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez told Connor MacLeod, "There can be only one!"

I just put this topic up on Reddit. People are much less fun over there...
So agree! I have looked at/read many sites over the years and this is the only one I cared to be a permanent part of. Most of the others have way too many folks who either obviously don't know what their talking about, want to rant not discuss, or are just outright trolls looking to tick people off!

There are plenty of good posts on there, just a few too many show watchers who've not read the books. Plus there are SOOO many people on there that you can't actually get to know anyone's charater/personality

Back