Alien creatures lay eggs, infect humanity, survivors live in caves and worship the aliens

John Sears

Looking for author and title of a mass market paperback novel I read in the early 80s, I can recall some plot details as follows: the alien creatures can fly; they have long egg-laying spikes and in one scene a sleeping woman is infected. The military try unsuccessfully to destroy the aliens by fumigating a forest where they're nesting. I think there may be only a few, they've escaped from somewhere?? Final chapter is post-apocalyptic: surviving uninfected humans live is caves and worship the monsters that have colonised the entire planet. Any help much appreciated!

Looking for author and title of a mass market paperback novel I read in the early 80s, I can recall some plot details as follows: the alien creatures can fly; they have long egg-laying spikes and in one scene a sleeping woman is infected. The military try unsuccessfully to destroy the aliens by fumigating a forest where they're nesting. I think there may be only a few, they've escaped from somewhere?? Final chapter is post-apocalyptic: surviving uninfected humans live is caves and worship the monsters that have colonised the entire planet. Any help much appreciated!
Xeno?

That's it! Brilliant, thanks so much.

This story 'Xeno' seemed my kind of book so I went hunting for an epub or kindle etc. I've discovered it's much simpler to find (if anybody else fancies such a tale ) under its alternative title 'Earth has been found'

Back