September: What have you been reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm barely a page into The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham. I've meant to read it for years, if only to see how close The Village of the Damned (1960) stays to the story.

Interesting note to self that the tone of the first couple of pages is quite different from those of The Day of the Triffids.

Randy M.

I just finished Shelley's Poetry and Prose and now I'm on to The Complete Poetry and Prose of William Blake for the first time.

A complete re-read of the Codex Alera by Jim Butcher - just onto the last one, First Lord's Fury. Read it for the first time earlier this year (and asked for recommendations for other books like it - thank you again to all who responded). Decided it was probably what I needed right now while on holiday and yes, it has been.

The Copper Promise by Jen Williams. I've heard a lot of good things so am persevering but finding it tough going so far - lot of early PoV changes haven't helped. The main issue though is the MC feels like a D&D cartoon character - Danger! Impudence! Daring! Rah! I can see why lots of people like that but so far its just made my eyeballs roll like a bowling ball.

Slow reader that I am I usually try to start my Halloween reading in September, this year beginning with this:

Really good so far.

I just started reading Carrie by Stephen King for the first time. Really enjoying it so far.

Been a while, but Codex Alera was a great series. I'm currently on Suetonius' Twelve Caesars. Turns out quite a few of them were bonkers.

Slow reader that I am I usually try to start my Halloween reading in September, this year beginning with this:

Really good so far.

A really good anthology .(y)

Last edited:
I know Suetonius isn't 100%, but hardly any ancient historians (Thucydides and Polybius spring to mind as exceptions) were, because it was seen as a different sort of writing then.

As you say, enjoyable to read, much as Livy (and his made up speeches) is.

I know Suetonius isn't 100%, but hardly any ancient historians (Thucydides and Polybius spring to mind as exceptions) were, because it was seen as a different sort of writing then.

Cicero's speech and writings are quite entertaining. :)

To plunder, to slaughter, to steal, these things they misname empire; and where they make a wilderness, they call it peace.

Tacitus making up a speech for the British Chieftain Calgacus at Mons Graupius.

It is always interesting to work out what the Roman writers were attempting to say about their own society.

Cryoburn by Lois McMaster Bujold - another very good offering from Bujold but I think I'm tiring of Miles. More here.
Tactics of Mistakes by Gordon R Dickson - pretty dreadful new age tosh! More here.

Cryoburn by Lois McMaster Bujold - another very good offering from Bujold but I think I'm tiring of Miles. More here.
Tactics of Mistakes by Gordon R Dickson - pretty dreadful new age tosh! More here.

I think Cyroburn was a weak book (although the end was good) but the next two books include very little of Miles. however, both Captain Vorpatril's Alliance and Captain Jole and the Red Queen have a strong romance thread which you might not enjoy.

I think Cyroburn was a weak book (although the end was good) but the next two books include very little of Miles. however, both Captain Vorpatril's Alliance and Captain Jole and the Red Queen have a strong romance thread which you might not enjoy.
Ah I'd forgotten about Captain Vorpatril's alliance.... but yes, I think I may be stepping away from the series now. I've largely enjoyed it, despite certain grumbles :), but it's getting a little tired for me now. It's interesting you found this one weak, I didn't find it so much so, though possibly having so much from the POV of an eleven year old did rather weaken it.

i think you're wrong about Dickson :) love all his chylde series :)

i think you're wrong about Dickson :) love all his chylde series :)
Well, horses for courses. YMMV. ;) The first book - Dorsai! - was very good, Necromancer not so good and Soldier Ask Not was quite good but this one was just dreadful wish fulfilment writing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back