Big meeting scenes

Hello, Peat. My question would be -- is the POV character you use an important and ongoing part of your story, and if not, why tell this portion of the story in her POV? If someone already asked this question, and I missed it, I apologize.

I have a large meeting in my first novel. It stretches from halfway into chapter six through most of chapter seven. It deals with an important private council meeting in the secret village where my main characters live. Out of curiosity, two of the main characters sneak in the back way and hide in a separate room, eavesdropping on the meeting. Their motivation is strong, and what they learn sets them on the path of their epic journey.

The way I was able to make it work was to have the leader of the village keep the meeting focused on the issue at hand. And as the meeting continues, I allow my main character to reflect on what is said. I do so by using a series of personal thoughts and small interior monologues to show what he thinks and feels about what is being said. So far, I've had no one who has read the novel say anything critical or negative about that segment. So I guess it worked.

I have another large meeting in book #3, and I think it works, as well. But I'll wait for what others have to say about it before I feel confident.

My only suggestion would be to keep the conversation focused on the reason for the meeting, and to make certain it matters to the POV character.

Good luck.