Sci-fi novel about teens who are transported into VR realm to play Space Invaders-style game with gu

Wahwah

I read this book when I was in high-school, sometime between 1998 and 2002 so I'm guessing it would have been written either late 80s or early 90s.

The basic premise of the narrative was that a bunch of teenagers were transported into a virtual reality experience of a computer game similar to Space Invaders except they were actual characters with guns etc. The teenagers would team up to go into the game and battle their way through. Think Existenze-style but for teens.

I've been trying to remember the name of this book, I thought it was something like "Game Invaders" but those searches have been unfruitful. For some reason I seem to think that the title definitely had the word "Invaders" in it.

It was a great book and not being able to remember the title or author is driving me mad as I would love to read it again!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you've read this book and remember the title please let me know.

Cheers

My kids watched a drama series on Prime a few years ago which sounds very similar to the op description. I was not paying that much attention at the time and cannot remember the name.

Back