Sci-Fi Research?

I would advise reading
Robert Sawyer's WWW Trilogy series Wake Watch Wonder
He does a fair job of using Helen Keller as a means of showing how an intelligence might evolve out of the Web and then positions the story such that a blind girl who is finding out what it is like to see for the first time--is the one person best suited for discovering and guiding this intelligence out of the darkness.

Reactions: Vaz
Hey Folks.

I'm about to dip my toe into writing some Sci-Fi stories - I usually only ever write fantasy - and I feel like I'm not really qualified to do so. Like, I feel that I should research some ideas on society - how would it adapt to AI life? How would it evolve? Things of that nature.

Just wondering if any of our writers here could suggest some books, fiction or non fiction as research, or some general ideas to point me in the right direction?

Sorry for the ramble!

Thanks in advance.

V
I'm (brace for shameless plug) writing a series of them, although for the first I'm focussing on space travel tech, astronomy, and how the universe would look too human eyes from various distant points in it. You could do e a big favour actually: What areas do you want to look for advice on the most often?

I'm surprised Neuromancer didn't come up - the story is basically about how an AI gets loose.

But I do think that AI can be treated lots of different ways, since it is a theoretical concept, not a concrete thing. And thinking about its effect is more about what the near future holds for people than what the AI may or may not do. I would look to near future books like the Starfish, Counting Heads, Diamond Age, The Star Fraction, Halo and Idoru to read some mind expanding ideas about where humanity might be going.

Back