• Published a book you want to tell us about? Uploaded a YouTube video you want to share?

Normally you'll need 100 posts to self-promote, but with an upgraded membership you can do so with your first post.

Find out more here: Become a Supporting Member

Bioship novel pre2000 -need help identifying

Casilda

Hi, I'm trying to remember a book I read when I was about preteen age.

-A group of people explores an alien vessel. I'm fairly sure it was a spaceship but it could have been some other sort of structure.
-There's a female lead who was some sort of military veteran or otherwise has some sort of loss she is recovering from
-The team sent to explore is attacked or harmed by the ship. Vaguely remember someone overheats because their spacesuit's ventilation is covered by goo, but I could be wrong
- There are no aliens per se but the ship turns out to be alive and the attacks are because it sees the team as invaders. A character makes a comment about the ship having an immune system.

Things I've ruled out:

It's not Rendezvous with Rama or Titan by Varley.
It was published before 2001.

Any help? Been obsessing about this low key for a while.

zaltys13

This could be a thousand novels, can you remember anything more specific? It bears a resemblance to Blindsight by Peter Watts but that was published in 2006.

zaltys13

Good call, seems more like yours than mine. I don't read modern Military SF at all so I bow to your superior knowledge.

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
Valor's Choice is exactly where I was going!

Bick

A Member of the Forum
Supporter
You know what this sounds rather like... part of the plot in Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds (published in 2000). The female lead (Khouri) does have a military background. There are no aliens, but the ship is "alive" and tries to kill them off sporadically and its does act as if it has an immune system - that phrase may even be used by the Ultras. They're not exactly sent to explore the ship though...

dannymcg

"It places the lotion in the basket"
enough! ! ! -I've just this morning downloaded seven Revelation Space books in sequence and started reading the first one . no more talk of Ultras etc for a few weeks. thank you

monkeypooper

Was Auch Immer
Supporter
Sorry can't help only book iv'e read along those lines of going through an alien ship was the asgard run by steve vance