Sci Fi book antagonists travel through space using "denial"?

rickycardo

Hi everyone, I'm Rick and new here to this forum. I've had excerpts from this book in my head for years now and I just can't remember what it was named.
I read it as a teenager so it should be dated from, say 1970 to 1985. It was about an intergalactic war with humans involved but not always as the main characters. What I remember best was that the main antagonists, who were ruthless, had enslaved a race of aliens and used them to perform various tasks. For example I remember reading where it said the starships ripped through spacetime because they were powered by a creature called "denial" that actually denied the existence of the space between the galaxies. It was funny because it said the creatures were angry and howled, and sometimes they just denied their owned existence and the ship would just be destroyed. I also remember there was another creature of the same race that they used for sensors because they knew everything that was happening. But as before they were temperamental and didn't always say everything they knew.
I know this is another needle in a haystack but it's starting to keep me awake at night and my own sense of denial needs to be satisfied.
Thanks in advance if anyone comes up with the book. I'd love to read it again.

I had another book search on here that turned out to be Uplift War. If I read 1 of the series I may have read more. I'll look into it deeper.
Thanks

I am actually rereading Startide Rising just now - I usually have half a dozen favourites ' on the go' and habitually dip from one to the other. I can confirm there is a species called the Episiarch who are an oppressed client race of the arrogant Tandu. The Episiarch do move spaceships through mental wormholes by denying the existence of space

Thanks. I'll have to make some time and re-discover that great series of books again.