Where are the big glossy non-fiction books?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
So, I'd been given a book token so I drove out to Waterstones. I was looking forward to maybe getting one or two big books filled with photos and diagrams about WWII.

Instead I found...only books full of text, across 4 display cases.

Did the big glossy non-fiction books die? Or is it simply the case of me looking in the wrong place for them?

Just recently I've been getting a lot of non-fiction books through a firm at Newton Abbot called PostScript -- Quality Books at Reduced Prices – Postscript Effectively they're a mail order/online remainder bookshop, so it's not up to the minute stuff.

I've had a couple of duds, where the book hasn't been quite as interesting or as well illustrated as the blurb in the catalogue suggested, but I've also had some smashing bargains which I might never have found. The latest was a British Library publication of Royal Manuscripts which is a gloriously glossy and well-illustrated book brought out at the time of the BL exhibition in 2011 which was £19.99 down from £40.

It won't help you spend your book token, but it might be worth a look to see what they've got in stock at the moment.

I actually found a bunch if good books in WHSmiths, big hardcover books of military equipment throughout the years and things like that (they've been packed up for moving house, so I can't see exactly). I can't remember who printed them though... DK books or something similar I think.

Back