No Mans Sky

Gawian

Starforger
Easy to find inspiration, hard to get it on paper.
So I bought this game yesterday, and spent a few hours flying around the galaxy, mining pointless rocks and watching some funny looking animals.

However, I'm still waiting to actually find the point of the game.

Anyone else got this game... and figured out what the heck you're supposed to do?

This looks very interesting indeed. Is it a multi-user thing like Warcraft - in other words, would I have to run into other players?

So far I have met aliens, learnt some of their language,and explored five planets. One more to go then it's off to the next system.

Really, really enjoying this - even although it's a bit rough around the edges, and the starting limitations on slots on your equipment turn crafting into a 'Tower of Hanoi'-esque event. (As a Skyrim player my rule is pick up and keep everything :D)

As for the point of it, there's two loose 'plots', yes? Either head for the galactic centre or find this Atlas God thing. I decided...sort of...to go for the latter. But there's a lot of upgrading and customisation to do with your tool, suit and ship. Otherwise you'll be killed off quite quickly, so exploration is recommended. I'm in my third ship, one I found crashed on a planet and fixed up (My second ship was a bonus ship I received immediately because I pre-ordered). Actually, it seems there are crashed ships everywhere in this universe.

Finding walking about the planets a lot easier - took me till today to actually find a way to destroy a pirate ship, as I find the flying in space and atmosphere a bit tricky. (Note to self: when fitting weapons, fit a companion system that actually does a bit of auto targeting when you aim close enough. My basic photon cannons barely hit a thing!)

Love the 'language game' - speaking to aliens when you only know a few words is really refreshing in a game. Also, I love the fact that barely anything is explained to you on what to do (I like to explore, and by Jesus this universe is vast). However I did order this off Steam, so perhaps on other versions you got a manual of instructions on stuff.

As for the point of it. It reminds me, so far, of survival Minecraft. I think you have to 'play' it the same way - find a goal to aim for, then just go with it. No high score, just explore! Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea :rolleyes:

I have the PS4 version and no you don't get a manual with at either it's all down to you. Here's a review I thought sums it up.
http://kotaku.com/no-mans-sky-the-kotaku-review-1785383774
I'm actually going the third option, when I jumped system I just found a random star and off I went, now I am on a planet where I have one more creature to find and I have the set :)

I'm actually going the third option, when I jumped system I just found a random star and off I went, now I am on a planet where I have one more creature to find and I have the set :)

Yep I'm on planet 6 or 7 and I'm trying to get the full fauna set for the planet too....but the final one is a damn bird-like thing and birds are a pain to record! I've seen it but the recorder refused to lock on to it because it was too high. It also manage to fly into the cockpit window of my ship once, but alas the scanner doesn't work through the glass either (perhaps it was sort of smeared all over the cockpit - surely I get DNA evidence???? :))

Mmmm Wondering if I should pick this up. But my wip......

Is it anything like Fallout? I hated that.

pH

Nothing like Fallout, although I don't know what was wrong in Fallout for you. It is gathering a lot of hate/(but still some!) love and thus being a super-Marmite game. In all honesty, even although I like it, it's probably a bit 'light' (esp. in content and some of the mechanics are a bit rough - but then I've not reached the end of the 'story' arcs) - however I can see why it's caused the internet to blow up with disappointment. So unless you are champing at the bit, I'd probably wait a bit till it drops in price (and there may be new stuff coming along too that the developer will keep adding in...)

Apart from blowing apart sentinels and pirates in space wars, it's a very peaceful, dreamlike sort of play...every planet new and never ever seen. I wander about alien plains taking snaps of all the odd lifeforms that live on them and going ahh at some of the views (I'm stumbling across the cutest two legged cat things that look a bit like garfield at the moment)

Thanks DT. I liked what you guys were saying about it upthread and as I keep hearing the name of the game or seeing pics I felt like it was synchronicity telling me buy-buy-BUY

Re
fallout. I checked out as soon as bottle tops and a complete absence of economic logic. I liked the shooting selection option for body parts though it handled a bit clunky.

pH

I think a problem some people have is you don't matter. In other games you are the centre of the action, everything revolves around the player, in No Man's Marmite the player is, to be honest, irrelevant. Your presence makes absolutely no difference to the game universe, it seems like life on the planets was going on before you arrived and will continue quite happily without you.

Thanks DT. I liked what you guys were saying about it upthread and as I keep hearing the name of the game or seeing pics I felt like it was synchronicity telling me buy-buy-BUY

Re
fallout. I checked out as soon as bottle tops and a complete absence of economic logic. I liked the shooting selection option for body parts though it handled a bit clunky.

pH
Would you be referencing the original fallout or it's ******* 3d offspring?

I played a little of it at a friends place. Fun enough but very (very) repetitive. I feel like I saw all there was to see with it in an afternoon. Explore, Upgrade, Harvest Fuel, and then Go somewhere else. It's very rince and repeat to me.

The gun-play is ok but unremarkable, space combat is terrible. I don't believe the game is really Multiplayer. The creator stated as much and two players who found themselves in the same area were unable to see one another.

Not a terrible game, sorta like a Minecraft in my opinion. An Indy game
should never be a full retail $60. Never ever.

I really enjoyed Fallout 4, never played the previous installments tho so there is nothing to compare with.

I really enjoyed Fallout 4, never played the previous installments tho so there is nothing to compare with.
The original fallout 1 and 2 are old school rpg's with a good story and choices that had weight and a lot of black humour and excellent gameplay.
The recent 3d efforts look pretty but that's about it. They are especially severely lacking in the dialogue department.

I am rarely blown away by a game story. Rockstar and Bioware are the only developers who, in my opinion, have any kind of consistency in telling GREAT stories. Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto, Dragon Age, and Red Dead are easily my favorite games (if not the top-4 right there) when it comes to story. There was no real weight or influence of the game behind Fallout's decision making, but over all I found the game fun -- I think my game-hours on one character came to almost 8 days. A little bit of questing, a little bit of building/management, a little bit of Monster Hunting. I dug it.

I am rarely blown away by a game story. Rockstar and Bioware are the only developers who, in my opinion, have any kind of consistency in telling GREAT stories. Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto, Dragon Age, and Red Dead are easily my favorite games (if not the top-4 right there) when it comes to story. There was no real weight or influence of the game behind Fallout's decision making, but over all I found the game fun -- I think my game-hours on one character came to almost 8 days. A little bit of questing, a little bit of building/management, a little bit of Monster Hunting. I dug it.
Well Bioware came forth from BlackIsle who are responsible for the original Fallout, Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment games. So no surprise there.

Back