Skyrim remastered: Special Edition

I really like Skyrim. But charging full-price for a remaster is taking the piss.

Bethesda's reasoning behind not remastering Morrowind or Oblivion is that it would take as much work as making a new game, and that Skyrim's recent enough all they need do is touch up the graphics.

Fair enough. But if it's far less work than creating a whole new game, why are they charging the price of a whole new game? The Last of Us didn't. Tomb Raider didn't. Valkyria Chronicles didn't. I'm sure there are other remastered games that didn't.

When the price drops to £20 I may get it. But the current price is ridiculous. I'll be looking at Rise of the Tomb Raider and XCOM 2 before even thinking of getting this.

I presume the price will drop reasonably quickly - that's when I'll buy it. :)

Probably nearer Christmas, when I'm planning on trading a year's worth of Nectar points toward an Xbox One. :)

Plus, wont be long before you can grab it cheap second hand or through resellers... I never buy brand new stuff just released.

Last I heard though was that this wasnt going ahead... Now I'm going to have to get an xbox one at some point. Maybe after xmas.

Incidentally, be aware Xbox-buyers, that there's a new slim version (which has marginally superior performance regarding FPS on some games) and the properly improved version (I think it's called Scorpion, opposite the also forthcoming PS4 Neo) will be announced relatively soon. Just something to bear in mind.

Thanks thad, but I'll be sticking to the cheapest version I can possibly find!

Far as I'm aware this is free on PC but costs on console - I'm unsure why but I think the nature of consoles means its a full release for them - like an HD release - rather than an update which it is for PC. This might reflect its file-size and how it might increase the file size of the base game beyond what is acceptable on console thus requiring its own release.

Must say I'm eager for this; there are loads of free mods but it can be a nightmare picking out the right ones and finding them and not having conflicts. Although its a somewhat sad thing as it means a new Skyrim style game is likely many years off.

Far as I'm aware this is free on PC but costs on console - I'm unsure why but I think the nature of consoles means its a full release for them - like an HD release - rather than an update which it is for PC. This might reflect its file-size and how it might increase the file size of the base game beyond what is acceptable on console thus requiring its own release.

Must say I'm eager for this; there are loads of free mods but it can be a nightmare picking out the right ones and finding them and not having conflicts. Although its a somewhat sad thing as it means a new Skyrim style game is likely many years off.

It may as well be free on PC seeing as all the mods and stuff out, already made it better than the console release plan.

All Bethesda are doing is taking the HD mods from PC, implementing them full time and re-releasing. Dirty trick to make more money instead of making a brand new single player ES game which is clearly what everyone wants because ESO sucked hard...

Gawian, apparently ESO is selling pretty well now, but I'm perplexed they aren't even working on Elder Scrolls VI. Skyrim was five years ago. At this rate the earliest release date will be 2019.

Sometimes early prices on Amazon are purely a guess by those uploading/Amazon. That's why they use their price guarantee - they can list prices high early and get the pre-orders built up and then adjust and lower as the real price and market price adjust.

Two things: it's still £34 for a remaster. The Last of Us is under £20.

Mods still aren't working for Fallout 4 on the PS4. That's a major draw (and used in the advertising) for the new version. It's absence is something that will (somewhat) harm sales.

All Bethesda are doing is taking the HD mods from PC, implementing them full time and re-releasing. Dirty trick to make more money instead of making a brand new single player ES game which is clearly what everyone wants because ESO sucked hard...

Not quite. They're moving to a version of the Fallout 4 engine, which is 64-bit, and solves many of the issues with Skyrim, like crashing when it uses more than 2GB of RAM, and being limited to 4GB of VRAM on Windows 8 and 10.

If we're lucky, it will also enable them to add native VR support in future, when Fallout 4 gets it.

I didn't think about VR but Skyrims interface would fit very smoothly into VR - potentially making first person combat viable (Personally I hate first person close combat because you've got no periphery vision in a game and you can't see the epicness of your moves. 3rd person always wins for close combat whilst 1st always works for shooting where tunnel vision is great and you can typically wobble your mouse/head around to get a view around you without problems )

Small but nice changes. Surprised how many mods there are for PS4 (I like the look of more realistic damage, akin to Survival in Fallout 4, but am especially keen to see a food/drink/sleep mod, though I don't know if that'll be possible). I'll still only get this if the price drops.

Has anyone played the Skyrim Remastered? If so, what did you think?

I have the PC version and just fired it up - didn't really notice any difference. However, my PC has always struggled with this game, and makes it almost unplayable, so I have to turn the graphics quality down. Which may be hiding the new effects!