Victor Gollancz posted update

Amazing that every single open-door in the history of the world ever, right back to when Babylon Books asked people to send in their cartloads of cuneiform tablets, has gone way over its time budget, yet no one seems to take account of this when setting expectations for the next one.

Amazing that every single open-door in the history of the world ever, right back to when Babylon Books asked people to send in their cartloads of cuneiform tablets, has gone way over its time budget, yet no one seems to take account of this when setting expectations for the next one.

The management consultant in me feels like setting up a project management course for them. ... :p

Its simple. As they say:
You can have it to budget
You can have it to time
You can have it to specification

Which two out of three would you like?
:)

I've still not heard anything on this. I'd actually forgotten about it. I was never 100% sure I got my submission in on time because I posted it a few days before the closing date.

[GALLERY=media, 2036]Gol by Martin Gill posted Oct 17, 2016 at 12:08 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 2036]Gol by Martin Gill posted Oct 17, 2016 at 12:08 PM[/GALLERY]

This just came. Yes, I know its upside down! So that's a "no" but maybe a no from the shortlist if I look on the bright side :)

I'm kept going by the knowledge that what I'm writing now (book attempt 3 after a stalled book 2) is significantly stronger than what I've been subbing. And what I sent Zeno is better than what I sent Gollancz thanks to the feedback of this forum. I came back to this years effort this week after a 4 month hiatus for various reasons and I surprised myself, which was nice, and motivating to finish it.

My aim with the first novel was to work out if I could write a novel and if I could, how? I know I can now. Next step is honing it into something awesome :)

Gotta stay positive...

Last edited:
There's an interesting podcast a friend of mine did just before Christmas where he spoke to 4 of the staff at Gollancz, including Publishing Director Gillian Redfearn. It covered a variety of topics, but also touched on their plans for future submissions as well as submissions in general.

It's quite lengthy at an hour and a half but interesting. You can listen via either the podcast manager or via iTunes. The Gollancz podcast is episode 87:
Andrew J Chamberlain

Aaaand it's right near the finish line. They've posted a list of titles they're still considering, so that might be worth a look, if anyone submitted and hasn't heard back (I'd post a link, but I'm not at 15 posts--it's just at their blog, though, first post).

Hofstadter's Law:

It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Back