Should Arthur C Clarke have been competing in the challenges?

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
I picked up a coy of Clarke's collection of shorts entitled A Meeting with Medusa recently and it contains a 180 word story about which Clarke has this to say:

This story came about as a result of a suggestion from the late George Hay, editor and man-about-British-SF. George had the ingenious idea of putting out a complete science fiction short storyon a postcard—together with a stamp-sized photo of the author. Fans would, he believed, buy these in hundreds to mail out to their friends.

Let me tell you—it is damned hard work writing a complete SF story in 180 words. I sent the result to George Hay, and that was the last I ever heard of his scheme.

Not sure I'm allowed to post the actual story (copyright and all that).

Maybe a mod or Brian could comment. After all it's only 180 words... I don't think Clarke would turn in his grave over that...

It's a fun little twist of a story!

Well, it would be a breach of copyright, but it might be Brian would turn a blind eye and hope the Clarke estate would, too! I'll raise it in the Staff Room, and where this thread itself might be best placed.

Sorry, Vertigo, but it's thought best that we don't breach copyright by putting the whole story up, no matter how short it is. Pity, I'd have liked to see it.

And I'll move this over to GWD.

I struggle to not spin every idea into a 100-chapter epic within a 1,000 volume saga, so ...it would be a challenge.