The Game of Thrones ants

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Two new species of ants have been named after Daenerys's dragons, due to their spikey appearance. Say hello to Pheidole drogon and Pheidole viserion:

Spiky new ant species is named after Game of Thrones dragons | New Scientist

p-drogon-minor22-800x533.jpg

Two new species of ants have been named after Daenerys's dragons, due to their spikey appearance. Say hello to Pheidole drogon and Pheidole viserion:

Spiky new ant species is named after Game of Thrones dragons | New Scientist

p-drogon-minor22-800x533.jpg

Entomologists are real characters. There are hundreds of new species being discovered every week and often these guys have used Latin names to perpetuate guess and rivalries.

One person naming a moth something in Latin to the effect of "Dillinger is an idiot." Then invariably Dillinger would name a beetle "Becket is a pervert."

This is a shockingly common trend for a certain sect of entomologists. So I'm not surprised about ants named for Dragons. Very interesting find!

Entomologists are real characters. There are hundreds of new species being discovered every week and often these guys have used Latin names to perpetuate guess and rivalries.

One person naming a moth something in Latin to the effect of "Dillinger is an idiot." Then invariably Dillinger would name a beetle "Becket is a pervert."

This is a shockingly common trend for a certain sect of entomologists. So I'm not surprised about ants named for Dragons. Very interesting find!

Correction "gross rivalries" not "guess and rivalries." (Auto correct can be a pain if not proofed). Sheesh!

these guys are awesome. Let's face it, at the end of the day we are just going to call them ants.
Might as well have some 'fun' with their official names.

@Brian G Turner By the way, Martin wrote a sci-fi/horror novella, Sandkings, back in the 80's. I read it in some anthology years ago. It was about ants....