Prologue or Introduction?

Lafayette

Man of Artistic Fingers
Supporter
I am thinking about adding a prolugue or an introduction to my story to grab the reader attention.

My first chapter isn't action oriented and I don't want ot to be for it will mess up the mood of the story and the character. However, I feel a need to introduce the character and why the reader should be interested in him and what happens to him.

If I decide to do this which would the reader be more apt to read?

The other reason I'm asking this is because as a rule I skip intros, but do read prologues.. Am I the average reader?

A lot of people skip prologues entirely. A quick trick is to just call it chapter 1, even if it's really a prologue. The first Harry Potter book is an example of this.

As far as if a prologue will serve you, IMO there are limited reasons to go to the prologue. More often than not newer writers reach for it as a crutch, and use it for the wrong reasons. Prologues are very helpful at establishing genre or tonal promises of a large book/series when the first chapter can't possibly hope to hit the right scale or tone. Two examples of this style of prologue are Way of Kings by Sanderson, and Game of Thrones by Martin. In the first case his prologue (a prelude and a prologue) establish the epic scale and the types of monsters/magics that series is promising, even though it will be several very long books before we get there. In GoT, we are shown the White Walkers to establish the genre promise that this is a fantasy, not just a political intrigue story. Then there are cases when a prologue provides absolutely necessary backstory... I'd count the first Coldfire Trilogy book by Friedman in this category, but I think there are very few good examples of this. Almost always backstory can be worked in later.

I would not personally use a prologue just for a hook... wrong tool for the task. I would instead look at your first chapter and find a way to put a hook in there. Hooks do not need to be action. Character and voice hooks work great, intrigue hooks, etc. There is no reason the first few paragraphs can't grab the reader and hold them for reasons other than action.

My 2 cents anyway. Nobody knows what will serve your story best except for you.

The main problem with prologues is that they often serve as infodumps - effectively, they're just backstory rather than the story itself starting.

If you feel your chapter 1 is lacking, it may be the case than a prologue is not going to fix that, but instead a rewrite of chapter 1 in the first place.

It doesn't have to start with action - merely a sense of something happening. After all, that's where the story really begins. :)

I am thinking about adding a prolugue or an introduction to my story to grab the reader attention.

My first chapter isn't action oriented and I don't want ot to be for it will mess up the mood of the story and the character. However, I feel a need to introduce the character and why the reader should be interested in him and what happens to him.

If I decide to do this which would the reader be more apt to read?

The other reason I'm asking this is because as a rule I skip intros, but do read prologues.. Am I the average reader?

You don't need action but you do need conflict. You have to start building tension from the very beginning. If the mood and the conflicts clash, you don't have a successful story. Mood has to enhance conflict.

If your first paragraph isn't working, consider getting rid of it. It is most often better to cut than to lengthen.

A lot of people skip prologues entirely. A quick trick is to just call it chapter 1, even if it's really a prologue. The first Harry Potter book is an example of this.

Don't do this. Agents, in particular, hate prologues for a reason (some of which Brian outlined above). They will see through an attempt to hide the fact it is a prologue, and it will be another reason to shout next!

If you need a prologue, use it. But think these two things:

1. Does it further my story or only serve to give back story?
2. Can chapter one be understood without it?

Personally, if I were you, I'd be asking how to make chapter one hookier, rather than adding something before it.

Or you might be starting the story at not quite the right place.

As others have said, it isn't action as such - as in a fight scene, but it does need to be something important at play, or an opening statement that grabs your attention. An example of the former is the opening of A Hallowed Hunt by Lois McMaster Bujold - the investigator is riding in through the gateway of the hunting lodge and making observations of what he sees. It also has an opening sentence that grabs my attention :)
A famous example of an opening statement that grabs attention and states the premise of the book is the classic "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."
No action there at all. Of course it is not always possible to make your hook as succinct and memorable as that. :)

A good prologue is an apetiser that sets you up for the main course.

Most prologues are indegestion waiting to happen.

I have to concur with everyone else - if your reaching for the prologue, start by taking your first chapter apart. I find I can get very attached to first chapters as initially written, and even first paragraphs of first chapters. Sometimes I'm right to get precious, but I think you need to be brutal with openings until/unless you are absolutely sure.

I don't know if it will help, but you could try the classic proof-reading trick and read the opening aloud, to yourself in a locked room, or on an audience if you have a willing victim. See how it sounds, see (or hear) if you are telling a story or just laying out stuff that will be interesting once you do start telling the story. I got introduced to this by Jo Fletcher a lot of years ago and she called it 'the camp-fire test' - are you telling a story that people are going to sit and listen to, or will they wander off to find another beer?

I'd suggest popping the first chapter up because I'm unsure why lack of action means you can't introduce a character. I've got two first chapters but the one I got the best review for is a walk through a park with my MC and his great-grandsons.

Thank you all for your input. I read them all and appreciate it.

As an experiment I wrote a prologue and an introduction and then studied them. I came to the conclusion that what I put in them I could put in my first chapter and get the hook that is needed. This certainly verifies what you all were telling me.

This conclusion has led me to re-writing chapter 1. I'm glad I like writing for if this was some other activity my nose would be out of joint because of the work involved. If my one friend gets wind of this he will be a little bit unhappy with me. He wants me to get it written so he can help me get it published as an e-book. He says I can edit later. Being the perfectionist I am this make me cringe.

Your suggestion that I read it out loud to myself or to a victum is something that I have been doing for some time now and it is good advice. It is amazing how many mistakes you can find this way. This method is not only good for discovering mistakes, but it is also a good sounding board for storytelling. If you can keep your listeners attention then you're on to something good.

Interesting thread. My first attempt at a novel has a prologue which is just a description of a varacious Earth based insect. Just a few lines. It's actions will ultimately be mimicked by the villains who you won't know about until half way in. I like it. It's staying!

Thank you all for your input. I read them all and appreciate it.

As an experiment I wrote a prologue and an introduction and then studied them. I came to the conclusion that what I put in them I could put in my first chapter and get the hook that is needed. This certainly verifies what you all were telling me.

This conclusion has led me to re-writing chapter 1. I'm glad I like writing for if this was some other activity my nose would be out of joint because of the work involved. If my one friend gets wind of this he will be a little bit unhappy with me. He wants me to get it written so he can help me get it published as an e-book. He says I can edit later. Being the perfectionist I am this make me cringe.

Your suggestion that I read it out loud to myself or to a victum is something that I have been doing for some time now and it is good advice. It is amazing how many mistakes you can find this way. This method is not only good for discovering mistakes, but it is also a good sounding board for storytelling. If you can keep your listeners attention then you're on to something good.

If I have learned anything.. (which is debatable) in this world of words, it's to trust your instincts. You'll know when your story is good to go outside. No matter who, or how keen those are around you. You'll get to a point where shifting the letters and words around is only frustrating you.
Don't be pressured into putting your work out there - no matter how good other people's intentions are.