1. Now Available on Amazon:                            

> Click here for more Amazon stores

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on tv adaption of The Mist.

Discussion in 'Stephen King' started by David Drake, Jul 20, 2016.

David Drake

David Drake Member

With casting news on The Mist I was wondering what everyones thoughts are on the series. For my part I hope its more Walking Dead rather than Under The Dome.

lynnfredricks and Frost Giant like this.
    Frost Giant

Frost Giant Well-Known Member

Wow, I had no idea they were doing this until you mentioned it here! I could see a Walking Dead type adaptation working out quite well. I would like to see them get to the project Arrowhead facility at some point in the show. I always wanted to see the experiment itself. They could do some very interesting things if they handle the story right and expand on it a little. It could look really cool if they're willing to spend some real money on the FX. Hopefully the entire thing doesn't take place in the supermarket! ;)

David Drake

David Drake Member

Spike are making it, think they did Ash vs The Evil Dead, so it may be good.

Frost Giant

We'll have to see how far they wander from the original story. Your Under The Dome concerns might end up being correct. One big factor is how much money will Spike spend on it.

David Drake

David Drake Member

I had high hopes for Under The Dome, thought it might turn out good once it got into the feel of things, it sadly did not.

Frost Giant

Agreed. Kingdom Hospital was underwhelming also. Maybe they can avoid that with The Mist.

David Drake

David Drake Member

Obviously the forthcoming Dark Tower films has encouraged them to get this into production.

Frost Giant

No doubt, they seemed to be rushing it into production. Haste will only harm their project. I wonder if they will try and insert some plot elements that tie into the Dark Tower? It wouldn't be difficult.

BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

As long it doesn't have the kind of ending the movie had. I look forward to it.:)

Dulahan

Dulahan Broken Hero

I enjoyed the movie but it was pretty cut and dry to me. Mystery, drama in supermarket, reveal. I am not sure how you can make a series out of what was essentially a short story. Granted it had and open ending but are we going to then have week after week of people fighting giant monsters? I don't see much room for anything past what the movie already presented and that could be covered in a couple episodes.

It only had the loosest of connection to Dark Tower, I would like to see more of those King easter-eggs coming into play during the build up though.

BAYLOR

I didn't think they could 12 monkeys into the great series that it , but they found a way to do so.

With the Mist you quite right monster of the week would get old very fast . What if monsters are not a the only danger from that rift? They could do a Pacific Rim scenario where there is a malevolent intelligence that would like to take over our world and eliminate us in the process.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Dulahan

Dulahan Broken Hero

Fair point, I haven't gotten around to watching 12 Monkeys yet but I have it on the list. There is a lot of great TV out there right now.

BAYLOR

The best drama and entertainment is no longer in the movie theaters, hasn't been for a long time . Hollywood is for the most part being eclipsed by television. We are living in a golden age of Television with alot great tv shows. :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Dulahan likes this.
    Frost Giant

If they want to open it up into a series, keep in mind anything can come through that dimensional Arrowhead project portal. The animals that made it through originally could have just been the tip of the iceberg. There could be other inhabitants of this parallel world, possibly even intelligent lifeforms with an actual agenda. People from Earth could go through to the Mist world to gather more effective weapons, information, etc. They never say in the story or film that the Arrowhead portal was actually closed. They could take it in a similar direction to this Star Trek episode:
    Schisms (Star Trek: The Next Generation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cli-Fi likes this.
    Phyrebrat

Phyrebrat ba-Ba-ba-brat

I love both the novella and the movie of this - I even have the special ed Blu-ray for the B&W version.

In the UK, the movie ending was received very well; it really shows what a nihilistic miserable old bunch we are. I thought the end was powerful, and epitomised the tragedy genre.

The Mist has very close links to The DT universe; it comes from Todash space which is like the cement that separates all the different worlds. In that regard, I'd say it was pretty ubiquitous.

I'd be very much anti-Arrowhead Project exposition. I quite enjoyed 'Stranger Things' but mixing science with horror is not normally a good mix. Suspense and fear on horror is predicated on the unknown, the irrational, weird and inexplicable; as soon as you start expanding on the science of the back story, it will lose it's ethereality and become another hum drum Fringe/Stranger Things/etc.

pH

Dulahan

Dulahan Broken Hero

@Phyrebrat I totally agree about the ending. Especially when, in my opinion, the continuation of the story is almost a different genre. You are no longer dealing with suspense and the horror of the unknown, now you have and identifiable antagonist that the characters need to stop.

What was a suspense horror essentially becomes a Scifi war story. At what point does The Mist turn into something like (the very good) Falling Skies?

Anyone see "10 Cloverfield Lane"? The exact say thing really. An awesome suspense mystery that ends perfectly before turning into a Scifi War Drama.

Phyrebrat likes this.
    Frost Giant

I liked Fringe a lot, actually. If Mist went in that direction I wouldn't have a problem with it. Drama featuring people struggling against the post apocalypse and each other has been covered these days by Walking Dead. No need to keep the whole series set in a grocery store as people argue over dwindling supplies, make out in the back room, etc. Speaking for myself, what would draw my interest is learning more about the parallel Mist world and some sort of development featuring antagonists from there. They could only make so many episodes where giant spiders are jumping out to scare people or giant monsters are stepping on folks before it got repetitive. Arrowhead could even provide access to other realities, possibly pushing things in the direction of Sliders (the few good Slider episodes, not the bad ones.)

Phyrebrat likes this.
    Phyrebrat

Phyrebrat ba-Ba-ba-brat

I loved Fringe. I just wouldn't want it to take the same direction as The Mist is relating to alternate universes too and we've kinda done that.

Having said that, it might be a case of linking it with the many worlds of the DT movie.

I don't think the series would do well stuck in the supermarket but there are plenty other scenarios I could think of.

pH

Frost Giant

I'm all for linking it to DT, however that will mean mixing science with horror just as much as Fringe did. Mist being part of the genre (an invasion by extra-dimensional monsters already qualifies it as such) doesn't mean it will be a Fringe rip off, though. Fringe was unique, especially when it came to characters, so I'm not worried there.
    I'm more concerned about it being a Walking Dead rip off; desperate people running from monsters while screwing each other over. Visiting the Project site would open the story up to be more than that, in my opinion. You're right, Arrowhead could have linked in to one (or several) of the Doors mentioned in DT. Maybe the characters could explore some of that like they did in the DT series. The alternate Stand world described in Wizard and Glass, Fedic, or Lud - maybe they could even glimpse The Big Combination. One or more of the cyborg Tower Guardians could make an appearance, either emerging from the Arrowhead gate or it could be seen by characters that venture through to another world. A lot of possibilities there if the show runners are creative enough to use them.

Steven Sorrels and Phyrebrat like this.
    Phyrebrat

Phyrebrat ba-Ba-ba-brat

To clarify- I don't think it would be a Fringe rip-off. I just mean horror becomes scifi when science is used to justify the McGubbins. So, the monsters in The Mist exist outside of The Arrowhead Project; it was just the catalyst for ripping a dimensional hole. I'd be worried that expanding on that would take away of the horror.

From the pilot, Fringe was clearly sci fi whereas The Mist isn't, that's what I mean.

However, I'm pretty sure if they did decide to expand on the Arrowhead Project I'd still love the show :D

pH