July 2016 75-word Writing Challenge -- VICTORY TO CHRISPENYCATE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Canyon of Smug

Once upon a time Farlotte Moop stood tall, proud and (in her opinion) beautiful. She noticed a passing yargle stop and watch, she was used to being looked at. Her smug levels rose higher until the (previously untheorised) smug boundary was crossed and she exploded in a blast of (previously undiscovered) smug particles.

The canyon still echoes with the traces of her smugacity, just visit and you too will feel great about yourself.

Smugifaction Guaranteed

The Last Echo of Humanity

There isn’t much memory left in this chip. As I write this and the human race is dying in self-destruct, I have tried to store as much of human history as possible for others to read here. It has left me with only 75 words to leave in conclusion. I only need 73. In one phrase I can sum up the history of mankind. Oh no please, let us not do this again.

The Birth of 'Lectric Lady

Lindsay's life sucked but she would end Professor Bill's condescending laughter. She would become the first to directly observe electromagnetic flow. Since sensory perception was too slow, her observation would come through neural links.

She flipped the switch.

Crack! Pzzzzt! Bang! Lindsey's fried brain rewired. She could control electricity! “'Lectric Lady” was born. Her laughter echoed in Bill's home, as his every appliance malfunctioned. Now his life sucked. Having the power was AWESOME!

Last edited:
Best Served Before…

The elegant middle-aged woman standing in the bay window barely glanced at me. “You may look like Howard, but you’re nothing more than an echo, a shadow made flesh.”

“He swore you wouldn’t be lonely after his death. I’m here to keep that promise.”

Lauren sighed and stared out at the rose garden. “But you’re so goddam young.”

I broke her neck in one swift move. “How else could I survive a long prison sentence?”

If we shadows have offended...

I pose defiantly at the edge of the cliff and scream my confession to the universe.

The universe returns it. I fling myself into oblivion.

I stand on the cliff and shout my confession.

It returns. I leap to my death again.

I kneel on the rocks and speak my confession.

Another rejection. I collapse over the edge.

I lie in the dirt and whisper my confession.

Nothing.

I’m so tired.

I crawl toward peace.

Sins of the Fathers

I’ve followed echoes throughout the centuries. A telltale brow, the shape of a nose, the curl of a lip. Searching for the offspring of murdering psychopaths, of serial killers – the lives created by takers of lives. Then I kill them.

Genetics isn’t destiny. But I won’t take the risk of echoes reverberating in action as well as expression.

I’ve no children myself. Another risk I won’t take. For I’m the greatest mass murderer in history.

A Scents of Home

Jeremy had never entered a miracle shop. The memory thief scourging the city changed that.
Past the Marianna trenching tools, Jeremy espied them. Echo jars. Lifting the lid. Jeremy smelled apples, vanilla. Momma.. Lydia... Talcum. Little Jess.
His life.
The Troll clerk grinned fangily, lifting his saw. Jeremy held out his left arm to join those hanging smoked on the ceiling. Momma always said to get what you want you have to pay the Troll.

Last edited:
Health Care: Being Realistic About Outcomes

For some reason, the repair droid sang a verse of Little Sir Echo. “It’s an ear virus,” it said.

“Surely, an ear worm….” A routine in my subconscious began running:

Enteric
(We have artificial guts.)

Cytopathic (Cell degeneration? What cells?)

Human (What humans?)

Orphan (Androids don’t have parents.)

“Parents?” I exclaimed.

“Yours died because we’ve never carried human spares,” said the droid. “We looked after you – while you were well – but now…. Sorry.”

Status
Not open for further replies.